Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #5236
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoka3 View Post
I wanted to get the FMF Q4 and run it with the stock carb setup till i have time to re-jet the carb. Will there be any issues with this?

I was thinking of running a UNI air filter on the stock carb, removing the top of the air box for better air flow and bolting on the FMF Q4 pipe...how does that sound?

Then when i get the re-jet kit ill re-tune it with the new jets installed..
any suggestions?
Sounds like a bike that needs rejetting from the factory will be even worse. Jet first then pipe
Old 04-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #5237
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoka3 View Post
I wanted to get the FMF Q4 and run it with the stock carb setup till i have time to re-jet the carb. Will there be any issues with this?

I was thinking of running a UNI air filter on the stock carb, removing the top of the air box for better air flow and bolting on the FMF Q4 pipe...how does that sound?

Then when i get the re-jet kit ill re-tune it with the new jets installed..
any suggestions?

Sounds like you want to melt your piston. Worse thing you can do to an engine is run it lean and it already comes from the factory running on the ragged edge of what's safe (they do it in order to meet retarded emissions requirements). Increasing the amount of air flowing through the engine without giving it more fuel is not going to give you more power, it's only going to accomplish two things:

1. Hopefully it just runs like crap and you can't keep it running long enough to do #2

2. You overheat and potentially burn valves, melt pistons, basically destroy your engine.

Good news is that it actually will take you longer to install the pipe and filter than it will take you to properly jet.

Quick Google Image search of a piston after running lean:
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross

Wallrat screwed with this post 04-05-2012 at 10:58 AM
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #5238
AKohler883
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
my 1994 DR125SE as of today

AKohler883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #5239
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 378
Anyone got a spare rear rim for sale cheap? I'm looking for a replacement rim for my XP200 (Chinese copy of DR200) and everything is identical to the DR except oil filter and plastics and the stock rim is shitty along with it's spokes. It's been a great reliable bike supringlsy certainly no power but it's great on single track for it's weight but the rear spokes break like crazy. I've replaced spokes enough on it to say buy a new rim and spokes that are from Suzuki but can't find any rims for the DR200 on Motorcyclesuperstore and few other places I use. This 200 is going to be rode my wife and mom before long as their beginner bikes so I'd rather them not experience a spoke punching the tube on the highway with a semi behind like I did one night due to the weak arse spokes. PM if you have a rim for sale! Or know of a place to get a dr200 rim cheap.
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #5240
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringsmovie View Post
I'm taking a trip from Los Angeles through Central and South America and, after reading some of the minimalist touring thread, am considering taking my DR200. BUT....I have a lady friend who wants to come along. She's about 115 and I'm 200 lbs so I'm trying to figure out if the bike can handle that many miles with both of us plus gear? It's a 2006 with less than 1000 miles on it. I've been riding for 18 years but always on really low maintenance bikes so I haven't had to deal with any major issues and am not exactly mechanically inclined. Any advice on preplanning would be greatly appreciated.
Personally I'd take a DR650 for 2 up. We own both, my DR650 and my wife's DR200. I'm also 200lbs and her DR200 feels loaded down with just me on there. Having said that, many have done similar. Have a read through this thread, they rode 2 up on a small bike...
OK, so we're riding Colombia 2 up on a China Bike.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #5241
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm taking a trip from Los Angeles through Central and South America and, after reading some of the minimalist touring thread, am considering taking my DR200. BUT....I have a lady friend who wants to come along. She's about 115 and I'm 200 lbs so I'm trying to figure out if the bike can handle that many miles with both of us plus gear? It's a 2006 with less than 1000 miles on it. I've been riding for 18 years but always on really low maintenance bikes so I haven't had to deal with any major issues and am not exactly mechanically inclined. Any advice on preplanning would be greatly appreciated.

Personally I'd look at maybe one of the XR600~650 type models - pretty sure one of em came equipped with passenger pegs. Similar air-cooled powerplant and they're renowned for their reliability. I just pulled the ORIGINAL top end on my 1996 XR400 because it was starting to smoke a bit on startup. Everything was right at the service limit but the thing was still running like a champ.

The DR200 is incredibly heavy for its size so for 3x the displacement you're only looking at another 30lbs of bike.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Old 04-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #5242
I'm Trying
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Run away idle

So I checked the cam and follower related to my damage a couple of pages back. Everything looked exactly the same as when I fixed the tappet. So that seems good.

So new problem.
When I got the bike it had the general problems of leaky carb and petcock. When it ran, it would idle fine and then after a little while it would rev off towards redline. I read through all 300+ pages and implemented what seemed to be the general consensus on the issue. I bought a new exhaust gasket a new intake boot and oring and sent the carb to kientech for a cleaning, rebuild, and jet kit and had the exhaust work done. I still can't get the idle to stay stable.

I have the cold valve clearance set properly. After warming engine for ten minutes I will set the pilot screw out two turns. Then adjust the idle speed down to spec. The engine will either die or take off towards redline or stay stable. So then I adjust the pilot screw and generally can't hear any difference but usually leave it somewhere between 2 and 3 turns out. Then i will go for a ride or even just rev the throttle and the idle will hang or the engine will rev up. If I turn the idle screw down even just a 1/32 of an inch the bike will idle down and die. What am I missing?
I'm Trying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:06 AM   #5243
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 549
Quote:

I use my dr200 regularly for 2 up riding, on road and off road. The bike has the power to handle 2 people, off road no problem, on road I usually have drop down a gear on hills to keep the speed up but it can keep up with traffic. I will not go on the interstate 2up.

2up to south america on a dr200 would be bloody miserable, I am sat so far forward on the bike its not funny, it is uncomfortable and dangerous, my wife complains after an hour that her backside goes num so I have to strap a towel behind the seat to give her some padding. The walmart atv seat cover will help, however I found it very dangerous as the cordura material on my pants would slide across the seat cover material very easily whenever I braked, catching my bollocks on the tank

I rode about 200 miles today and by the end of it I decided I am going to get a klr. The dr200 is great for commuting, off road etc but I reckon long distance 2 up riding will be horrible. For reference im 6'2 215lbs, my wife is 5'8 130 lbs.

I would only just be able to carry the minimum gear just for myself on the bike with her even being on it, there is no way in my opinion the bike has the space for 2 people with the full load. Not to mention your lady friend will bang the back of her legs and thighs on the saddle bags as the bike is short.
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #5244
Highaltidude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Pilot Jets

I learned something today.

I finally decided to jet both my wife's and my DR200's down a bit. Riding them through the winter showed em to be a bit rich. I'm at 7,200ft, and ride as low as 5,000ft and so far, as high as around 10,500ft.

I dropped one step on both the main and the pilot. My bike accepted the new jets just fine, my wife's bike didn't seem to like the 32.5 pilot. Did a lot of swapping jets in and out, and adjusting the idle mixture screw. Then a trip to a different motorcycle shop showed something interesting. I'd been buying my jets from a variety of sources, and it turns out, had been given two different styles of pilot jets.

The above picture shows both styles of pilot jets. Notice the different "tips". They both fit.
The one on the left makes the bike run like you'd expect.
The one on the right doesn't..... It created a low end bog, and the bike wouldn't idle down when I let off on the throttle.

Just thought I'd share......

Chuck
Highaltidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #5245
ric uganda
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Djebel 200

Hi chaps, sorry for what might be a better question posted as a new thread but as i am new here it does not look like i can post one. I am out here in Kampala, Uganda, capital of the bike with roads better suited to flying so i need something great off road, that will never break and can take a beating. I have been offered a Suzuki Djebel 200, i am told it is a 2000 model. How does this differ from the DR200 as i don't seem to be able to find any information on the Djebel online, i have looked pretty hard (i am aware our servers out here are anything but quick).

They want about $1700 for it and i am a beginner rider. Can anyone give me info on this bike and as to whether it will be good for what i want it for? I hear the DR200 is bullet proof, is the Djebel a similar bike? it is a dual start (kick and electric) and looks a lot like the round-headlight 'farm' DR that the australian poster put up here.

i can add a photo if needed, it looks ok, cant tell if there is rust around the chain or if it is Uganda's red earth.. what should i be looking out for? is it a 4 or 2-stroke bike?

Any advice for a total noob much appreciated

I wanted a Honda XLR 250 but the seller wouldn't let me ride it before i bought it, which put me off....
ric uganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #5246
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric uganda View Post
Hi chaps, sorry for what might be a better question posted as a new thread but as i am new here it does not look like i can post one. I am out here in Kampala, Uganda, capital of the bike with roads better suited to flying so i need something great off road, that will never break and can take a beating. I have been offered a Suzuki Djebel 200, i am told it is a 2000 model. How does this differ from the DR200 as i don't seem to be able to find any information on the Djebel online, i have looked pretty hard (i am aware our servers out here are anything but quick).

They want about $1700 for it and i am a beginner rider. Can anyone give me info on this bike and as to whether it will be good for what i want it for? I hear the DR200 is bullet proof, is the Djebel a similar bike? it is a dual start (kick and electric) and looks a lot like the round-headlight 'farm' DR that the australian poster put up here.

i can add a photo if needed, it looks ok, cant tell if there is rust around the chain or if it is Uganda's red earth.. what should i be looking out for? is it a 4 or 2-stroke bike?

Any advice for a total noob much appreciated

I wanted a Honda XLR 250 but the seller wouldn't let me ride it before i bought it, which put me off....
Ric,

To my knowledge, the Djebel 200 is essentially the same as the DR200 sold in the States, with the added benefit of having a kickstart in reserve. It's a four-stroke engine. You could hardly find a more reliable machine. I can't give advice on the price because I don't know the market in that part of the world. There isn't any special maintenance concern with a DR200...you'd be checking for wear items as with any motorcycle. Low mileage is better, and you ought to check for wear items like front brake pads, wheel bearings, steering head and swingarm bearings, and so on. You ought to make sure it runs well and shifts through all the gears properly. I can't imagine how someone could damage the motor on a bike like a DR200 short of running it without oil for an extended period of time.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #5247
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Ric,
I can't imagine how someone could damage the motor on a bike like a DR200 short of running it without oil for an extended period of time.
I will attest to that... I threw my bike into the rocks this weekend and only bent a handle bar ... we bent the handle bar back and I rode it home 2.5 hrs... the thing is a tank and I give it a beating on most rides. New handle bars on order ... again :)

Old 04-11-2012, 03:09 AM   #5248
ric uganda
n00b

Oddometer: 3
thanks guys, I'm having a look at it this lunchtime so will let you know how i get on. do you know if you could buy the headlamp and plastic surround from the DR200 aftermarket and then fit it to the Djebel? I am not a fan of the round headlamp as it reminds me of the endless Bajaj Boxer100 bikes that infest Kampala!!!
ric uganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #5249
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 549
What is the purpose of the strap that is connected to the seat? Is it to help pull the bike out of mud?
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:49 AM   #5250
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
What is the purpose of the strap that is connected to the seat? Is it to help pull the bike out of mud?

In theory it's so the passenger has something to hold onto. It's wimpy and therefore useless for trying to maneuver the bike with it. Easy to remove via a couple nuts on the underside of the seat.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross