Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #5281
MorganSS
Texan

Oddometer: 81
I keep checking back to the exploded view I posted on the last page, it looks like the main jet is that larger screw that I removed and cleaned, what I didnt mess with (Other than spraying carb cleaner in a few times) is the pilot (14 and 15)

Are there any tricks to removing those correctly? Or just use a little flathead and make sure the springs and washers dont go flying everywhere.
MorganSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #5282
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganSS View Post
I keep checking back to the exploded view I posted on the last page, it looks like the main jet is that larger screw that I removed and cleaned, what I didnt mess with (Other than spraying carb cleaner in a few times) is the pilot (14 and 15)

Are there any tricks to removing those correctly? Or just use a little flathead and make sure the springs and washers dont go flying everywhere.

I believe you got it right.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #5283
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Not everyone agrees, but I'm a believer in Seafoam. I run it through all our bikes, quads etc. and have yet to ever have to clean a carb. I add the recommended amount to a tank of gas every spring and fall. I also religiously use fuel stabilizer, so I tend to not get gunked up carbs anyway. If it was my bike I would run a tank with Seafoam through it and then get a tank of fresh gas and see how it's running then.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #5284
MorganSS
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Not everyone agrees, but I'm a believer in Seafoam. I run it through all our bikes, quads etc. and have yet to ever have to clean a carb. I add the recommended amount to a tank of gas every spring and fall. I also religiously use fuel stabilizer, so I tend to not get gunked up carbs anyway. If it was my bike I would run a tank with Seafoam through it and then get a tank of fresh gas and see how it's running then.
SF works great in an LS1 engine too LOL

Im sure it wouldnt hurt, does the DR prefer to have it run through pretty quickly or can SF sit in the tank and be used at my leisure?
Old 04-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #5285
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
SF works great in an LS1 engine too LOL

Im sure it wouldnt hurt, does the DR prefer to have it run through pretty quickly or can SF sit in the tank and be used at my leisure?
If you're going to use Seafoam, don't let it sit. It can dissolve varnish in a gas tank and flush it into the jets and clog them up. I don't use any additives in the fuel.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #5286
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
If you're going to use Seafoam, don't let it sit. It can dissolve varnish in a gas tank and flush it into the jets and clog them up. I don't use any additives in the fuel.
I knew you were out there Klay. Maybe I need to downsize the fleet a bit, that way I wouldn't have things sitting around waiting for their fuel to spoil.

How long is too long to let fuel sit, even with stabilizer in it. We went south this winter so our sleds sat since early last spring, through the whole winter and will now sit all summer again. I was going to drain them last fall but we thought we may be back in time to go on a few rides.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #5287
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Fuel is comprised of so many different blends and changes so often that it's hard to say. The safest thing would probably be to not store fuel at all. Since I've gone to a heated garage, though, I've switched to a practice of doing exactly nothing to winterize the bikes except to keep them on a trickle charger. There hasn't been any problem, even when they sit for five months.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #5288
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Fuel is comprised of so many different blends and changes so often that it's hard to say. The safest thing would probably be to not store fuel at all. Since I've gone to a heated garage, though, I've switched to a practice of doing exactly nothing to winterize the bikes except to keep them on a trickle charger. There hasn't been any problem, even when they sit for five months.
Do you guys have ethanol in your gas? I can see leaving gas alone if it's ethanol free but not with ethanol. Our local Honda dealer has seen a big spike in powersports equipment coming in running like crap and needing carbs cleaned etc. They are attributing it to ethanol but there's no "proof" of that. I always try to fill up at a Chevron or Shell here in Canada cause at least they put Techron etc. in their gas. We have no way of knowing if they're adding ethanol or not. They're allowed to add up to 15% and the pumps say "may contain up to 15% ethanol" but the stations themselves don't know if they're getting it or not.

So I started playing on the side of caution and treat all gas, especially what I keep in my jerry cans etc. as suspect and treat it with Sta-bil. Same as what goes in the DRs. I've been riding my DR daily for weeks now, but it can also sit for weeks at a time if I'm riding something else.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #5289
Klay
dreaming adventurer

We have 10% ethanol in gas around here. I stopped worrying about winterizing the bikes about ten years ago. I don't even drain the float bowls. I just haven't had any problems. Taking care of five bikes here. My wife put less than four hundred miles on her DR650 last season. So the gas in her tank was something like seven months old. Started right up this spring.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #5290
MorganSS
Texan

some minor success today

the weather cleared up and I was able to go about 8 miles on the bike and work it through the gears. I did not experience any bogging at all, I tried to slowly bring the bike up to temp and then take it on a little two lane road. It pulled nicely through the gears. Im eager to take it out for longer drives but Im a stay at home dad right now and the little one is a FULL time job.

Im hoping my quick cleaning did the job, if not I will repeat the process and then start looking at petcocks to head off that problem to be.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #5291
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Ethanol gas has the shelf life of a loaf of bread. Sta-bil claims to keep gas fresh for up to 6 months - I can personally attest to 5 months being no problem at all. Carbs looked brand new despite sitting for that long.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #5292
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
some minor success today

the weather cleared up and I was able to go about 8 miles on the bike and work it through the gears. I did not experience any bogging at all, I tried to slowly bring the bike up to temp and then take it on a little two lane road. It pulled nicely through the gears. Im eager to take it out for longer drives but Im a stay at home dad right now and the little one is a FULL time job.

Im hoping my quick cleaning did the job, if not I will repeat the process and then start looking at petcocks to head off that problem to be.
Something like this should let you get out more, besides fresh air will be good for the baby.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #5293
MorganSS
Texan

Quote:
Something like this should let you get out more, besides fresh air will be good for the baby.

As soon as baby Parker gets back from the tattoo parlor I will fab up some bungee cords to his car seat and we will get my 200 dialed in
Old 04-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #5294
MorganSS
Texan

I was finally able to put about 20 miles on the bike a moment ago, its breezy and 80 degrees here, really nice day.

I let the bike warm for about 4 minutes, slowly go down the street and keep it at 45 for a few minutes, drive through town, start out on the back road and the same thing is happening. It wont have any pull in 5th, it struggles to get up to 55, Im in 4th the majority of the time and then it feels as if it struggles for fuel until Im able to pull over and stop. It struggles as I slow and through the downshifts but remains at idle and doesnt die. Its just an ugly lurch under any throttle.

This happened about 4 times through the 20 miles, I moved the petcock from on to prime and back again just to see if it was a problem with flow. I didnt notice any difference so I left it in the on position. After pulling over and working the throttle a few times until it wouldnt struggle Id be on my way.

Last night I noticed that the petcock does have a slight leak, barely any throughout the night but a few drops on the garage floor and the bottom of the pc was wet with fuel.

When I pulled the carb float tank cover all I did was remove the large middle screw that has a hole in it (MJ) and soak it and clean it. I sprayed carb cleaner everywhere and into the holes and jets but thats the only part I pulled besides the floats and those are reinstalled properly. The bike starts/idles/performs all other duties fine, its just a nasty lurch that robs a lot of confidence.

Help is needed!
Morgan
Old 04-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #5295
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
yes it will clean carburetors, however the low temperature solvents when they come into contact with the hot intake valve will solidify on the backside of the valve overtime this will build up to where this causes tubulence of the air/fuel mixture and causes the fuel to come out of suspension of the air by slowing down the high velocity air/fuel mixture.
Result, less power and MPG.

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote