Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #5296
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganSS View Post
I was finally able to put about 20 miles on the bike a moment ago, its breezy and 80 degrees here, really nice day.

I let the bike warm for about 4 minutes, slowly go down the street and keep it at 45 for a few minutes, drive through town, start out on the back road and the same thing is happening. It wont have any pull in 5th, it struggles to get up to 55, Im in 4th the majority of the time and then it feels as if it struggles for fuel until Im able to pull over and stop. It struggles as I slow and through the downshifts but remains at idle and doesnt die. Its just an ugly lurch under any throttle.

This happened about 4 times through the 20 miles, I moved the petcock from on to prime and back again just to see if it was a problem with flow. I didnt notice any difference so I left it in the on position. After pulling over and working the throttle a few times until it wouldnt struggle Id be on my way.

Last night I noticed that the petcock does have a slight leak, barely any throughout the night but a few drops on the garage floor and the bottom of the pc was wet with fuel.

When I pulled the carb float tank cover all I did was remove the large middle screw that has a hole in it (MJ) and soak it and clean it. I sprayed carb cleaner everywhere and into the holes and jets but thats the only part I pulled besides the floats and those are reinstalled properly. The bike starts/idles/performs all other duties fine, its just a nasty lurch that robs a lot of confidence.

Help is needed!
Morgan
All bikes coming into the USA are jetted lean to satisfy EPA, but the DR200 is the worst I've ever seen. I've never seen one run right until the carb is kitted to run richer. Sounds like you have a leaky petcock, though. DR200's are famous for this too. Vacuum diaphragm goes bad... or you might have another petcock leak. In any event, the DR200 is a great bike. Don't be discouraged. It's easy to work on. Klay gives good advice.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #5297
MorganSS
Texan

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawheelie View Post
All bikes coming into the USA are jetted lean to satisfy EPA, but the DR200 is the worst I've ever seen. I've never seen one run right until the carb is kitted to run richer. Sounds like you have a leaky petcock, though. DR200's are famous for this too. Vacuum diaphragm goes bad... or you might have another petcock leak. In any event, the DR200 is a great bike. Don't be discouraged. It's easy to work on. Klay gives good advice.

Im not discouraged, Im just trying to be very clear in my descriptions

I used to ride 2 strokes YEARS ago and have a basic understanding of bikes, and this thing is a blast, is basic, and dependable, it just has a couple of issues from not being driven in a long time, once I get those worked out Ill be good to go on a maintenance schedule.

Bad news is my brother wants to buy it from me now LOL
MorganSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #5298
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawheelie View Post
Mine always ran well once warmed up before I richened it up. It was the warm-up process that was bad. It's much more driveable now.

Good to get some feedback on my advice.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #5299
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Im not discouraged, Im just trying to be very clear in my descriptions

I used to ride 2 strokes YEARS ago and have a basic understanding of bikes, and this thing is a blast, is basic, and dependable, it just has a couple of issues from not being driven in a long time, once I get those worked out Ill be good to go on a maintenance schedule.

Bad news is my brother wants to buy it from me now LOL
Yea for two-strokes! Finally gave up my last one two years ago.
Watch out for that Klay. He's everywhere, he's everywhere! Go to any thread, and he's already there. Distinctive avatar too.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #5300
MorganSS
Texan

Klay has helped a lot already Do you have any more diagnostics to extrapolate from my description? I have some time to kill tonight
Old 04-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #5301
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Klay has helped a lot already Do you have any more diagnostics to extrapolate from my description? I have some time to kill tonight

What poppawheelie said about the petcock. Both of our DR200s (my wife has a DR200, too) had petcock problems at about seven or eight years old.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #5302
MorganSS
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
What poppawheelie said about the petcock. Both of our DR200s (my wife has a DR200, too) had petcock problems at about seven or eight years old.

I checked your post back on the first page and dont see any PC related information listed there. Can you point me in the right direction for a replacement or a fix?

Would you recommend doing anything to the carb in the meantime or with a PC replacement hopefully fix er up.

never had to do anything with a pc before, thats a new one to me lol
Old 04-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #5303
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamier View Post
Just picked up a '97 DR200 with less than 600 miles on it. Of course it is the purple one but I really can't complain since it does move when I ask it to.

It is all stock except for the keychain.

I have read this thread from start to finish and I have to say that I think I know everything about the DR already. (thanks to all!)

It does have an issue with the Petcock and I'm looking into options on that one. Seems like the choices are the Yamaha Raptor or the OEM for the bike. I do like having the option to shut it off when not in use. For the Yamaha Raptor do you have to cut the tank or are there other options?

Other than that and a new set of more aggressive offroad tires and I'm set.

Quote:
I checked your post back on the first page and dont see any PC related information listed there. Can you point me in the right direction for a replacement or a fix?

Would you recommend doing anything to the carb in the meantime or with a PC replacement hopefully fix er up.

never had to do anything with a pc before, thats a new one to me lol
A Yamaha Raptor petcock fits...it's one a lot of people commonly retrofit the 200 with. I've got a few other petcocks at home...can't remember where I got them...but I can take a look when I get home.

If I were you, I wouldn't fiddle with the carb any more until you've eliminated the petcock as a source of trouble. It sure sounds like that's the problem.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #5304
MorganSS
Texan

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-YAMAHA-R...4be1b2&vxp=mtr

Am I correct with this one?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #5305
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Looks right.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #5306
MorganSS
Texan

Cool, just purchased it

Looks just like a simple bolt on after draining tank, and capping the vac nipple. Maybe I can handle that
Old 04-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #5307
MorganSS
Texan

The petcock problem is probably what Im dealing with, of course we will know for sure once my order comes in and I replace it however I was poking around and found a bit of fuel in the airbox and a bit that had weeped out the drain line.

That would make sense about the way it is driving if the vac pressure is askew. Without the correct pressure fuel is basically in limbo and not being pushed the way it should, which is why some kicks back into the airbox, and when things really get moving hardly enough fuel is being fed through the carb, causing a lurching of the throttle and a really lean feeling to the engine.

At least, in a laymans view, thats how I see it.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #5308
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Fuel in the airbox was one of the symptoms when the petcock failed on my 200.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #5309
MorganSS
Texan

Just wanted to say thanks for your help klay!
I'm having a blast with this 200.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:14 AM   #5310
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Might be a good idea to change the oil. The crankcase vent goes into the bottom of the airbox. When the PC fails, fuel can dump into the airbox and then flow into the crankcase. Oil is cheap enough that it's worth changing IMO.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote