User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #5326
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,644
Cool2

Went to take the little bike for a ride Friday. Went around the block, came back and... flat tire. Broke out the tire irons and tried getting the tire off but I guess I need a bigger piece o'metal. So, I took the tire to the local dealer - $40 out the door to exchange my tire w/o air for a tire w/air.

Went for a ride yesterday an' what do ya' think... picked up a nail in the brandy-new tube.

Guess I'll get a couple of bigger tire irons and a couple of tubes this time.

Still - had fun riding the little bike around Tahuya and back, about ~80 miles before the flat made for a quick run home for the pick-em-up truck an' a buddy to help load it up.

...then I took the sidecar out to relieve "frustration."
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #5327
MorganSS
Texan

Oddometer: 81
Picked up some castrol 4T, new filter, and a spare plug. Petcock is on its way and so is a Coleman ATV Seat cover I bought off of amazon per a recomendation from 2 years ago in this thread.

I also own a small cooler, its soft sided with a hard plastic insert that is versatile enough to bungee to the rear of the bike, this saved me some coin, and there is ample room and its securely fashioned. Im planning some longer jaunts through some very beginner rate trails and unpaved marked roads and would like to know what you guys carry in your packs for day or overnight trips.

Tools
Spare Plug
Small container of extra fuel

Also what is the consensus on "FixAFlat" and a motorcycle, I would figure it would be a must for trail riding but havent seen it mentioned anywhere.

M
MorganSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #5328
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Smart thinking can keep the gear you carry on your back to a minimum. For example, zip tie an extra throttle and clutch cable right next to the ones on the bike. If one snaps, your backup is already pre-strung and just needs to be bolted on.

Bare minimum if you're more than 1 hour walk to home:
Riding partner
spare clutch/brake/shift lever
spare cables
snacks
spare water (in addition to your normal amount)
emergency blanket
rain gear
flare (good for starting a fire too) - can zip tie it to a fork
21" tube (can be used on rear too) + 3 tire irons
way to support rear wheel off the ground in case of a flat
-----or a tire plug kit if you switch to a Tubeliss system
spare fuel tube
aluminum foil (great fix for a stripped shift shaft)
bailing wire
zip ties
duct tape
bicycle pump (can get these really tiny)
flashlight

Tools:
Vice grips
Needle nose pliers
regular pliers
channel locks
#1 & #2 phillips and flathead screwdrivers
spark plug wrench
8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21mm wrench/sockets
spoke wrench
axle wrench if not one of the above sizes
metric allen wrench set
rag/small pack of baby wipes

Think that's a pretty good start.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #5329
Highaltidude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Here's what my wife and I carry between our factory tool boxes, fender bags on both bikes, and my saddle bags:

Registration and proof of insurance
Suzuki spark plug socket
Suzuki phillips screw driver
NGK DR7EA (hotter - better for high altitude w stock jetting) spark plug
Swiss army knife
Suzuki wrenches 17 and 19 mm

Registration and proof of insurance
Emergency money ($15)
NGK DR8EA (normal) and NGK DR7EA (hotter - better for high altitude w stock jetting) spark plugs

Small first aid kit
Lots of spare bungie cords
Compass
Parachute cord
Glow stick
Storm matches in waterproof case
3 1/4” screw driver for fuel mixture screw
Kick stand pad
12g flare gun

Toilet paper
Tow rope
Siphon hose
Storm matches in waterproof case
Trash bags
Granola bars (3)
Flashlight (the kind that doesn’t need batteries)
“Rope” saw

Tire irons (2)
Tire plug kit
Tube repair kit
CO2 inflator and three CO2 cartridges
O-ring master link
Spare valve stem cores and core tool
Duct tape
Bailing wire
Zip ties
A couple of fuel line size hose clamps
DR200 owner’s manual
Folding 10” tree saw
Spare (bent) clutch lever.
Hack saw blade
Craftsman wrench set 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 mm
Reversible screwdriver
Crescent wrench
5 Torx drivers
6 Allen drivers
Set of 5 pics
1/4” drive socket set (could use a 3” extension.....)
Needle nose pliers
Pliers
Wire cutters
A couple of red rags

Chuck
Highaltidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #5330
MorganSS
Texan

Cool! Im on the right track then as far as tools and gear.

Im quite the survivalist/prepper in my other life, so this is right up my alley. For right now I wont need to worry about a lot of the overnight stuff JUST YET since I wont be that far removed from civilization but the basics are already bundled and ready to go.

Any opinions on the FixAFlat for the kit? It would be for about 15 miles at most.

thanks!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #5331
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganSS View Post
Cool! Im on the right track then as far as tools and gear.

Im quite the survivalist/prepper in my other life, so this is right up my alley. For right now I wont need to worry about a lot of the overnight stuff JUST YET since I wont be that far removed from civilization but the basics are already bundled and ready to go.

Any opinions on the FixAFlat for the kit? It would be for about 15 miles at most.

thanks!
I don't think fix a flat works very well with tubes. Better to carry spare tubes and tires irons with you. I've also heard that natural rubber tubes are better at deflating slowly with a puncture, while synthetic rubber tubes tend to just split and deflate instantly.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #5332
MorganSS
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I don't think fix a flat works very well with tubes. Better to carry spare tubes and tires irons with you. I've also heard that natural rubber tubes are better at deflating slowly with a puncture, while synthetic rubber tubes tend to just split and deflate instantly.

that makes sense, I kind of wish I could practice in my garage on a tube swap, Im sure thats a load of fun in the field
Old 04-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #5333
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
that makes sense, I kind of wish I could practice in my garage on a tube swap, Im sure thats a load of fun in the field
It's a good idea to practice in your garage, using only the tools you normally carry. You'll out real quick what works and what doesn't and what you really need to carry. A trail jack helps for tire changes...

Old 04-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #5334
MorganSS
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
It's a good idea to practice in your garage, using only the tools you normally carry. You'll out real quick what works and what doesn't and what you really need to carry. A trail jack helps for tire changes...

I can appreciate sound advice, I look forward to setting up some nice day trips when I have the time to ride.
Im having a hard time finding any other like minded riders out here though, its absolutley beautiful where I live and its a popular biker destination, but more of the road going variety. I doubt there are many 200s out here if any, and I want to stay off the highways and stick to the backroads. Im sure I will find my niche when I start getting more comfortable with longer rides.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #5335
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
I can appreciate sound advice, I look forward to setting up some nice day trips when I have the time to ride.
Im having a hard time finding any other like minded riders out here though, its absolutley beautiful where I live and its a popular biker destination, but more of the road going variety. I doubt there are many 200s out here if any, and I want to stay off the highways and stick to the backroads. Im sure I will find my niche when I start getting more comfortable with longer rides.
Day rides are good. My wife owns a boutique with our biggest selling months being tourist season so we're chained to the store for the summer, but with longer days we still do lots of exploring. We're like you, fortunate to have lots of good riding in our back yard so we don't have to ride for hours to get to the good stuff. All within an hour of our place...

Old 04-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #5336
Highaltidude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Last week the wife and I took our DR200s to Dinosaur National Monument, in Colorado and Utah..... We had been on Harpers Corner Road before and the views were amazing. This time on the dual sports we were able to take the road to the bottom.

Here's a shot of the road heading down.....

Its pretty steep but nothing a nice 4x4 couldn't do.....

Once the road flattens out a bit you drop into Sand Canyon. You just had to have faith that the road would go through to the other end because as you were riding, all you saw was the rock on either side of you.....

Eventually the 2,000ft decent ends at where the Yampa and Green rivers converge. Steamboat rock is photographed pretty often.....

On the second day we rode from the Colorado Visitors Center to the Utah (main) Visitors Center by using jeep trails and dirts roads in the Park. The Park Ranger said she didn't think we'd be able to get through one section..... :-)

Gonna hit Moab before April is over!!!

Chuck
Highaltidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #5337
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highaltidude View Post
Last week the wife and I took our DR200s to Dinosaur National Monument, in Colorado and Utah..... We had been on Harpers Corner Road before and the views were amazing. This time on the dual sports we were able to take the road to the bottom.

Here's a shot of the road heading down.....

Its pretty steep but nothing a nice 4x4 couldn't do.....

Once the road flattens out a bit you drop into Sand Canyon. You just had to have faith that the road would go through to the other end because as you were riding, all you saw was the rock on either side of you.....

Eventually the 2,000ft decent ends at where the Yampa and Green rivers converge. Steamboat rock is photographed pretty often.....

On the second day we rode from the Colorado Visitors Center to the Utah (main) Visitors Center by using jeep trails and dirts roads in the Park. The Park Ranger said she didn't think we'd be able to get through one section..... :-)

Gonna hit Moab before April is over!!!

Chuck
Very cool! Colorado is on our "must ride" list.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #5338
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
For $100/tire you can get a Tubeliss http://tubliss.com/

Drops some unsprung/rotational weight and allows you to leave the tires on the bike and just plug holes with a normal plug kit. It's about $40 for a good kit, and plenty of youtube vids to show you how to do it.

I've tried Fix-A-Flat on MX tires and it's never actually repaired a flat. The best it did for me one time was get me slightly closer to civilization. I like to use a mountain bike pump that's about the size of a candy bar and either a spare tube or the plug kit. Can find a huge selection of small/light pumps at any specialty bike store - just make sure they work on schrader valves since some bikes use presta valves. Some people like the CO2 canisters but I always worry that the tire won't be full when the canister is empty - through human error or otherwise.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #5339
MorganSS
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
For $100/tire you can get a Tubeliss http://tubliss.com/

Drops some unsprung/rotational weight and allows you to leave the tires on the bike and just plug holes with a normal plug kit. It's about $40 for a good kit, and plenty of youtube vids to show you how to do it.

I've tried Fix-A-Flat on MX tires and it's never actually repaired a flat. The best it did for me one time was get me slightly closer to civilization. I like to use a mountain bike pump that's about the size of a candy bar and either a spare tube or the plug kit. Can find a huge selection of small/light pumps at any specialty bike store - just make sure they work on schrader valves since some bikes use presta valves. Some people like the CO2 canisters but I always worry that the tire won't be full when the canister is empty - through human error or otherwise.

great pics highaltitude!

the tubliss system looks awesome, that will be a nice addition down the line if I start investing more time and money into riding. I will probably just carry a can of FaF and a pump for the time being.

This sucks, Im just sitting around in my garage with the tank off, the oil changed, the bike is spotless, and theres nothing more to do except wait for the PC before I go riding.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #5340
MorganSS
Texan

Still twiddling my thumbs waiting on the petcock. Argh