Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #5356
MorganSS
Texan

Oddometer: 81
lulz, theres a huge abandoned home development area about a mile from my house, little did I know its a major cut through to the other side of town, with a TON of trails, sweet!

Ill get the jet kit for my bike, I hear keintech is a good guy but Id have a hard time paying 40 bones for a couple of screws LOL

Eventually Ill get a FMF.
MorganSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #5357
Highaltidude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sateev View Post
Actually, the Kientech kit contains a different needle and an idle screw with a knob on the end, which is really good to have. And, for us flatlanders, the stock jets were 127.5, and 37.5. Jesse supplies, I believe, a 130 (main), and a 40 (pilot), in addition to the idle screw, and improved (and adjustable) needle.
I have two DR200s, both bought used. One in CO @ 5,000ft elevation, one from Oklahoma @ 1,300ft elevation. Both owners were first owners and purchased from dealers. Both bikes had 125/35 jetting. Thus my assumption about stock jetting.....

I'd be interested in others sharing what size main/pilot jets are/were in their stock bikes. I've jetted both my bikes "down" for my elevation (7,2000ft) but am headed to Moab soon. If original jetting was 127.5/37.5 I'd like to change my jets before the trip......

Chuck
Highaltidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #5358
Highaltidude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganSS View Post
Are there any temperature specs for a 4 stroke out there? Right off the header I was pinging about 295 degrees about a nice 1.5 hour ride. Everything was fine with the bike but thats just really hot compared to the 220 degree zone us RC racers prefer.

Meh, probably nothing, but Ill be curious how the bigger jets cool it down a few degrees
I'm fairly new to this bike, and don't know where exactly you were taking the temp.....

But I daily drive an air cooled VW. Head temps regularly run 350-400 degrees. 295 just doesn't sound that hot......
Oil temp is more critical. This bike is pretty bullet proof. Keep the oil clean and full and enjoy it.

Chuck
Highaltidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #5359
MorganSS
Texan

Oddometer: 81
I was taking the temp right at the beginning of the header, I just wont worry about it

heres a pic from that development. On top of this big hill is a nice little patio, I have no idea why its there, but it was a perfect setting.

MorganSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #5360
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,482
Quote:
OK, guys, please don't throw rocks, BUT...

I go to a little tire shop, where the owner is the only worker, and has changed more tires in his lifetime than can be counted. He does it all, including machine-vulcanizing patches. Of course you would have to travel to Bangkok to see me there, and get the price:

Remove and re-install BOTH front and rear wheels, install new front and rear tires: 140 baht = US$4.66!!

And this guy knows his stuff. My man, Mr. Amorn!

And another guy made me a new clutch cable from my old sleeve (since buying one would take at least two weeks), for...30 baht=US$1.00!

All this and Thai food - hate to rub it in...
OK, but how much did it cost you to fly there. No more mention of Thai food either, I'm hungry.

PS Jodie and I are looking at the Edelweiss Triumph Asia tour (Thailand, Cambodia, Laos) in Nov.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #5361
lobsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
jet set

These came out of an 2005.
lobsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #5362
Sateev
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
OK, but how much did it cost you to fly there. No more mention of Thai food either, I'm hungry.

PS Jodie and I are looking at the Edelweiss Triumph Asia tour (Thailand, Cambodia, Laos) in Nov.
Not to mention the random dice-throw that is Thai Customs: the Trailtech Speedo, and accessories came to about $200 - skated through Customs, no duty. My new Seat Concepts (well, old seat with new Seat Concepts cover) got hit with over $80 in import duty! Ouch!

It all evens out, I guess.

Wow! Cool tour, and definitely the right way to do it if you don't live here. Plenty of support, hopefully, all the border details sorted out in advance (be sure to ask!). Maybe catch up with you along the way...
Sateev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #5363
Sateev
Gnarly Adventurer

Seat Concepts DR200 seat

Finally took delivery of my Seat Concepts re-worked seat. Took a while, although not any fault of theirs: I had to find the right seat (bought a wrong one, had it shipped to them, wasting their time and my own), shipping to Thailand, which co-incided with the biggest Thai holiday of the year, a four-day water fight called Songkran, where everybody goes to their home province, gets drunk, and throws water (and talcum powder) on everyone else in range...

Somewhere in the 25+ emails to Seat Concepts, my selection of fabric got lost, so I ended up with plain vinyl (like stock) sides and embossed vinyl top, instead of the carbon-style fabric I wanted, but Robert at Seat Concepts offered to send me a new cover. Customer service like that is what it should be all about. Mistakes happen, but how vendors respond to them is the real story. Seat Concepts gets a big on that front!

Now for the real story: can my nether parts avoid numbness on the Seat Concepts treatment, where the stock seat pulverized them?

Yes! So far, a ride through the streets of Bangkok to our nearest Japanese restaurant (about 30 min, gotta have some variety) was noticeably more comfy, and my wife even commented on it. I felt a lot less pressure where there shouldn't be any than the stock seat. Riding two-up, although my wife is tiny (5'0", 95 lbs) still puts me on the narrow part of the seat, but it wasn't nearly as hard as the stocker. I'm 190 lbs, and the seat has plenty of support.

I knew the seat would be wider; Seat Concepts 'concept' is to spread the load and reduce the pressure, while using good quality foam. I was a bit worried about how that might look, but as you can see, it fits the bike's lines perfectly.

I think at $159 (DR200 forum discount price), it is very good value. I don't like to think about paying Thai Customs $80 for keeping my butt comfortable, but that won't apply to most of you...

A few pics:

Old 04-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #5364
Sateev
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsta View Post
These came out of an 2005.
My apologies: Kientech supplies a 127.5 and 37.5 - the stock jets are indeed 125 and 35.

Oops.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #5365
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,856
bottom line up front - ya' gotta' be able to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I encourage you not to give up. Self-reliance is invaluable. Maybe take another run at it someday when you have a little extra time.

My first flat, I tried, and when I figured my tire irons weren't gonna' do it, I took it to the dealer (Hey - it was Friday afternoon, eh?).
THAT Sunday, I got another flat - same damned tire.
Got the 16" motion pro and two tubes... only they gave me 18" tubes, not 21's...
So after I got that switched (kept one 18" 'cuz I figured, you know, I already paid for it and I MIGHT need it sometime) I had some help putting the correct tube in... yep - holed the tube.
I took the whole damned thing to the dealer AGAIN (because it was FRIDAY!) and they sold me a tube - mounted it fer' free.
I kept the two tubes, and will patch them. Good practice, and NEXT time I get a flat front, that will be the tube I swap in... figuring I WILL hole it again. If I don't, well, we'll see... depending on where it happens, I may just have to drive it out - and change it at home. If it happens at home, (like the first time) I'll probably let it sit over night and swap in a new one... and pray.

tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #5366
lobsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Seat of the pants

Sateev, that seat is the bomb!
Looks like it was always there and follows the lines closely.
No interference with the Manrack?
lobsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #5367
Sateev
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsta View Post
Sateev, that seat is the bomb!
Looks like it was always there and follows the lines closely.
No interference with the Manrack?
Fits perfect, about 1/8" clearance with the rack. I really like it! It and the Manrack are two of the best things I have added so far...
Old 04-23-2012, 07:21 AM   #5368
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
The speed sensor is a sticking point for me: while the one than comes with the Universal Air-cooled, Conventional Forks Trailtech kit is OK, it does require replacing one of the brake rotor bolts with a bolt with a magnet embedded. It can only be torqued to 12 lb-ft, while the other bolts should be 16.5 lb-ft (close enough, I guess), but the OEM bolt is a shoulder bolt, and the Trailtech-supplied one isn't. I really don't like this solution, and there doesn't appear to be any place to glue the loose magnet they also supply in the kit instead of the bolt.

I've run those replacement bolts on my banshee for 7 years and on my XR400 for 4 years. Not 1 issue and I ride it like I stole it.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #5369
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I encourage you not to give up. Self-reliance is invaluable. Maybe take another run at it someday when you have a little extra time.
Once I get down to Houston and get settled in, I may try it again. Not sure if we'll have any kind of a garage like I do now because we haven't even looked for housing yet, so I'm not sure exactly how much work I'll want to be doing on it if we get a place without a garage.

I don't plan on giving up. Just taking a break so I can get my stuff together and get ready for this move!

Thanks for all the encouragement and help!!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #5370
Spozzy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
It took me 4,5 hrs, and 5 patches to change my front tyre, 2,5 hrs and no patches for rear. Practice is paying off.
Spozzy is offline   Reply With Quote