Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #5371
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spozzy View Post
It took me 4,5 hrs, and 5 patches to change my front tyre, 2,5 hrs and no patches for rear. Practice is paying off.

Good job! It'll get much easier after the first few tries.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #5372
Klay
dreaming adventurer

I pinched the inner tube three times putting on a new front tire on my 200 last month.

windigo
Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #5373
Highaltidude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sateev View Post
Yes! So far, a ride through the streets of Bangkok to our nearest Japanese restaurant (about 30 min, gotta have some variety) was noticeably more comfy, and my wife even commented on it. I felt a lot less pressure where there shouldn't be any than the stock seat. Riding two-up, although my wife is tiny (5'0", 95 lbs) still puts me on the narrow part of the seat, but it wasn't nearly as hard as the stocker. I'm 190 lbs, and the seat has plenty of support.

I knew the seat would be wider; Seat Concepts 'concept' is to spread the load and reduce the pressure, while using good quality foam. I was a bit worried about how that might look, but as you can see, it fits the bike's lines perfectly.

I think at $159 (DR200 forum discount price), it is very good value. I don't like to think about paying Thai Customs $80 for keeping my butt comfortable, but that won't apply to most of you...
I'd be interested in your thoughts in a week or so......
Numb ass is my only complaint about this bike......

Chuck
Highaltidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #5374
MorganSS
Texan

Oddometer: 81
I have a can of fix a flat and a bicycle pump for flats, screw changing them in the field
MorganSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #5375
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganSS View Post
I have a can of fix a flat and a bicycle pump for flats, screw changing them in the field

That stuff doesn't really work a lot of the time.

windigo
Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #5376
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highaltidude View Post
I'd be interested in your thoughts in a week or so......
Numb ass is my only complaint about this bike......

Chuck

Seat Concepts makes a beautiful seat for the DR200. The wife has one on her bike.

windigo
Old 04-24-2012, 12:13 AM   #5377
Spozzy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
The seat is certainly not the most comfortable, I recently did 600KM's in 2 days on mine (and felt it) where late last year I did around 3000KM's in a week on my Tenere and never got sore at all. Will just have to do way more dirt with associated standing, with the little one. Two very different bikes, except in the enjoyment department. Both great fun. If only I had realized back in the early 80's how much fun dirt touring could be, I would never have bought all my road bikes (8 at last count).

I'm still putting my weight on the "inside" peg , rather than the "outside" one when cornering, But at least I know I'm doing it wrong.
Spozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #5378
MorganSS
Texan

Yep, the seat is killing me. I did about 150 miles in two days and I was payin for it. I dont want to drop the coin on seat concepts. The coleman seat cover doesn't work either.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #5379
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganSS View Post

That's what I carried when I was a teenager. Didn't work a single time. Best success story I can report was to make a moderate leak into a slightly slower one so that I could ride 1 mile off the hard trail and get to a better place to stash the bike while we doubled up back to the truck. Every other time I used it I might as well have been carrying a can of hairspray in my pack for all the good it did.

IMO Slime, fix-a-flat, etc aren't even worth carrying for a motorcycle. They only work on the tiniest of punctures, and in the case of slime, make a huge mess on the big ones. For mountain bikes where tiny thorn holes are the norm slime works great. MX tires are thick enough that if something can get through, it's going to get through in a big way.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #5380
MorganSS
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
I could ride 1 mile off the hard trail and get to a better place to stash the bike while we doubled up back to the truck.

Thats what Im hoping for currently
Old 04-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #5381
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
That was one time. The other 6 or so times of it doing jack is what finally convinced me that I needed a better method. Irons + spare tube are a much better investment, or if you're really in like Flynn, a tubeliss + plug kit.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #5382
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Cleaning the carb

so i last rode the bike in november, tried starting and the battery is dead. charged the battery. it won't start. it'll wind over but won't "catch" however the battery is still weak..

i was thinkin of cleaning the Carb. i've never done this before (but i've lots of repairs on my truck, so i'm by no means "afraid". is there a web page with a how to guide for the 99' carb. if not any tips on what not to do.

my wife is pregnant and we have a little guy under 2, so i have to sell as no time to ride. any help appreciated.
DEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #5383
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
well, finally got it started, changed the plug, probally didn't need too, but they're cheap. bump started it as clay once suggested in 3rd gear. way easier than 2nd like i was doin. battery is toast. stalled was able to start it agin with the e.start. but that was it. ran great though. my new battery will be in and charged on friday. yeaaa. then i'll see if any takers. i paid 1700, added some parts..oem muffler,shoes and airfilter.2100 into it. sellin for 1800.00 plus new battery. lots of offers for 15 and 1600 but i stuck on 1800 as thats the goin rate here for a 99'. i know, ridiculus. way over priced. i think 800-1000 is all they are worth but newfoundland is a island.
DEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #5384
lobsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
the cratest love of all

Sold the DR200 today but kept the milkcrate. Thanks to all on this, the best ADV thread of all! "I'll be back"
lobsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #5385
AKohler883
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Nice Duc !
AKohler883 is offline   Reply With Quote