Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #5401
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganSS View Post
PS welcome to Texas you damn yank!
Lol! Thanks! I'll be down there sometime in August. I used to live there back in the last 90's. Looking forward to the warm winters again! Not a cold weather person.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #5402
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Air Filter

So tell me, how do I clean the air filter? Or where can I find a replacement? There's only that one, right? I understand that there's 2 of them on the 650 but from what I gather, there's only the one on the 200, right?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #5403
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by psu75 View Post
So tell me, how do I clean the air filter? Or where can I find a replacement? There's only that one, right? I understand that there's 2 of them on the 650 but from what I gather, there's only the one on the 200, right?

yes, just one air filter. You take out the foam element and rinse it in kerosene (don't use gas) and squeeze out the filter repeatedly. Then squeeze it out thorougly in a rag. Then soak the filter with oil and squeeze out all you can inside another rag. You can get fancy filter oil, but motor oil works just fine.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #5404
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
yes, just one air filter. You take out the foam element and rinse it in kerosene (don't use gas) and squeeze out the filter repeatedly. Then squeeze it out thorougly in a rag. Then soak the filter with oil and squeeze out all you can inside another rag. You can get fancy filter oil, but motor oil works just fine.
Thanks Klay!! You're the best!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #5405
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
I always just use a 5 gallon bucket with dish soap + water. I get the big stuff off 1st by dipping the filter in and out with the airbox side ABOVE water. That helps keep the dirt from getting on the inside. Once it's pretty clean I dump that water and refill. Repeat this process again if the water is still really dirty (it shouldn't be if you do it right/don't wait too long between cleanings). Once the water is staying mostly clear I'll submerge the whole thing and really give it a good kneading action. Sometimes you have to do refill the bucket again. Then do 2-3 fresh water rinses in the bucket. Swing the filter down with your arm a few times to get 90% of the water out then let it air dry until the next day. Some filters are picky about their oil, most aren't. NoToil oil will disentegrate a Uni Filter for example. Oil it too much and then wring it out wrapped in paper towels or rags, being sure not to get any of the towel fibers on the inside of the filter.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #5406
MorganSS
Texan

Oddometer: 81
thanks PSU

so anyone have a sprocket rec for better speeds?
MorganSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #5407
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by psu75 View Post
Thanks Klay!! You're the best spellchecker! (fixt)
Had to throw that out there.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #5408
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
it says thats for yamaha?
Does anyone have any links to a good tank bag? Id like something to stick my cell phone in so I can listen to Pandora on a longer ride, last thing I need (or I THINK I need) is a sprocket for better road speed. I can comfortably go about 55-60mph, Id like to hike that up to about 65 without vibrating myself to bits, any suggestions?
I've got a firstgear silverstone mini tankbag that I used on my 200 and still use on my 650 now. It worked great...I can carry a couple bottles of water, some munchies, and my GPS in the top compartment and see where I was going. It had 1 strap that goes infront of the tank, and then a pair of magnetic 'wings' that hook on the sides of the tank. I put >1k miles on the bike with it with no problems.

For highway gearing, go grab a 39t rear sprocket since that's about all you can find smaller than stock for the rear. If I did it again on mine I'd spend a bit more and get something like a 41-42 tooth for the rear to give it a little more pep but still cruise nicely. RebelGears makes nice custom sprockets.
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #5409
MorganSS
Texan

rock on, thanks dude

I have really settled in nicely to this bike, I have a lot more confidence riding it and Im looking forward to some longer cruises. My brothers 650 is a great bike, but for me, the 200 is fun and healthy to learn on.

One more question, Im gonna throw some larger jets in there, where do I pick those up? I hate my local bike shop but didnt really check any other vato zones or OReilleys or anything, do they carry them?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #5410
MorganSS
Texan

I will get a pic later, but for a little box on the back I used a tool box and some metal plates and bolted it to the rear plastics, it works great, theres not a lot of room bc the box is small but I can always replace with something easier.

Now I need to throw the front fender into my wishlist, the jets, the sprocket, the tank bag, and eventually the FMF
Old 04-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #5411
Charliedog43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Sprocket suggestion

MorganSS, just a suggestion for a sprocket for more highway riding, go to a 16 tooth countershaft sprocket, Sunstar was the only brand I could find with a listing for the DR200, Tucker/Rocky part number 90-4316, list $23.95, Any dealer will probably order from TR on a regular basis. Made a nice difference for me, and the only time I notice anything negative is if I'm stopped going uphill, then it takes a little bit more clutch slippage. Overall, makes the bike much more pleasant on the highway. HTH
Larry aka CharlieDog
BRistol, TN
Charliedog43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #5412
SHO_GuN
Adventurerer

Oddometer: 44
Sprockets

My bike must be weaker than some .... I bought a 39T rear sprocket and even in the slightest of headwinds it couldn't maintain 55 MPH. My MPG suffered also, I don't remember specifics but it was substantial.

So then I bought a 14T front sprocket to use with it and I like this much better than the stock gearing. This is almost the same gearing as have a 16T front sprocket with the 45T rear sprocket. When I saw that the clearance between the chain and case is so tight that you can't remove the chain from the stock 15T sprocket without removing the sprocket from the shaft, it just seemed too risky to jam a 16T in there.

FYI - Some gearing data:

15/45 = 3.00 (Stock)
16/45 = 2.81
14/39 = 2.79
15/39 = 2.60
SHO_GuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:03 AM   #5413
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Quote:
thanks PSU

so anyone have a sprocket rec for better speeds?
Hey Morgan - when I was considering a sprocket change this is the one that the fine fellows here directed me to:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330449932974...84.m1438.l2649

But in all reality, the difference it'll make really wont be worth it, at least in my opinion. Unless you're just bored and are itchin' to do some mods...then have at it!

psu75 screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 05:10 AM
psu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #5414
MorganSS
Texan

hmm, well I really would like to make a difference in the top end without going internal, I will have to do some more research or ask around some more.

The great seat build has begun, I purchased 30 dollars worth of ingredients at the craft shop. 2 inch compressable foam, square yard of black vinyl, 1 inch straps and locks (like on a backpack) and plenty of strong thread and larger gauge needles.

I wont pay 180 for a seatconcepts although their work looks great and professional, I would prefer to give my own seat cover a shot.

wish me luck LOL
Old 05-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #5415
JayGoldstein
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Introducing myself

I bought a new (i.e., leftover) 2009 DR200SE a few weeks ago and thought Iíd use my first posting to introduce myself. Iíve been riding for some 40 years, and prior to the DR I had a Majesty 400 scooter. Last year I decided that given my riding style (shorter rides at a more relaxed paced) and riding abilities (at 67, I know that my reaction time and strength arenít what they used to be) a small (i.e., 250cc or less) dual sport bike would better suit me than the Majesty or even a larger displacement dual sport bike.

Initially, I focused on the Yamaha XT250 because I had the impression that the DR wouldnít be suitable for use on the highway. However, about half way through the 350+ pages of this forum it became clear that the DR can cruise all day at 90-100 km/h (which is good enough for me). The accounts of long distance trips on the DR in the Minimalist Touring forum also helped to change my opinion. In the final analysis, compared to the XT250, the DRís lighter weight, larger gas tank, and lower price tipped the scale in its favour.

Iíve put about 325 km (about 200 mi) on the bike so far. I am getting excellent fuel economy: 3.0 L/100km (78 mpg US) on the first tank of gas. I donít intend to do any serious off-road riding, but there are lots of gravel roads to explore and the DR handles those well.

Some random observations:

1) The first thing I did after getting the DR home was to remove the ugly warning sticker on the gas tank. It took me about an hour with a hair drier, plastic ďrazor bladeĒ scraper, and mineral spirits to finish the job. What a pain.

2) Iíve added the following accessories: ManRacks rack, a ScreensForBikes windshield, and a Wolfman Peak tailbag. I also have a RAM handlebar mount for my Garmin GPS.

3) I came across a posting in the forum asking about a cover for the DR. I kept the Dowco XL Scooter Cover from the Majesty and found that while it is a bit large for the stock DR, with the windshield and tailbag on the bike, the fit is just about perfect.

4) Iím impressed with the accuracy of the speedometer: compared to the GPS, the speedometer is about 5% optimistic. By contrast, the Majestyís speedo read about 10% higher than the true speed.

5) Until the engine is fully warmed up, I find downshifting to be very difficult (and finding neutral almost impossible). Others have mentioned similar shifting issues. Iíll see if things improve as I accumulate more kilometres.

Some questions:
1) The high beam indicator light is hardly visible in daylight. Is this typical?

2) The exhaust pipe is turning blue at the exhaust port and dark gold the rest of way to the muffler. Do these colours tell me anything about the carburetion (too rich, too lean, just right)?

Iíve posted pictures of my DR at:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1132076...07349419312098

JayGoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote