Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 03:24 AM   #5476
MorganSS
Texan

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sateev View Post
Hard to say. Aside from the jets, the Kientech kit includes a new mixture screw, and more important, a new needle, which will help midrange performance a lot.

You're worried about the $40 for the the kit, but someone (Jesse) took a lot of time to select parts that work well together, and supply them as a kit. Considering the actual cost of the parts, whatever extra profit there is in the kit for him is peanuts, compared to the time spent tuning, selecting parts, and doing it over and over until it's right.

If you're sharp, and have the resources, you can duplicate his results. You have to be willing to put in the time and effort to become an expert on the DR200 carb and jetting. So, go out and buy every needle that will fit the carb, and a few sizes of jets, and start figuring it out.

Or, would you rather spend time riding it, after contributing just a little to compensate the work of a guy who already figured it out, and made it easy for you?

In any case, I don't think (from my own experience) you'll want to go any bigger than the jets in the Kientech kit.

Just sayin'...
I can respect that, thanks for the input, Ill most likely spring for a kit
MorganSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:56 AM   #5477
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Oddometer: 91
All the mods

Thanks for all the input! Well, guess it looks like I'll be taking on some of these mods after all! Once I get settled in Texas and find out what kind of housing I'll have, then I can start planning for that. I don't know if I'll have a garage right now or not, so that kind of puts a pause on planning things for the time being...
Old 05-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #5478
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
I've been texting back and forth with somebody with a decent DR200SE that he purchased at a police auction without a title. He took the taillight and blinkers off and uses it as a trail bike. When I asked him if he had the stuff (lights) he said it didn't handle well on the road because of knobby tires and that I need a real roadbike. When I asked more about the VIN to see if I could get it titled, he again said that I needed a "REAL bike 4 the road, this bikes not big enough". He then changed the ad title to "2000 Suzuki dr 200 its a trail bike not a harley" and in the ad it now says, "no tittle not street legal buy a Harley trail bike sorry"and this gem "knobby tires not good for street riding" . What a moron. It's not often that people will try and talk you out of buying what they are selling. Harley has some really die-hard advocates.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #5479
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I've been texting back and forth with somebody with a decent DR200SE that he purchased at a police auction without a title. He took the taillight and blinkers off and uses it as a trail bike. When I asked him if he had the stuff (lights) he said it didn't handle well on the road because of knobby tires and that I need a real roadbike. When I asked more about the VIN to see if I could get it titled, he again said that I needed a "REAL bike 4 the road, this bikes not big enough". He then changed the ad title to "2000 Suzuki dr 200 its a trail bike not a harley" and in the ad it now says, "no tittle not street legal buy a Harley trail bike sorry"and this gem "knobby tires not good for street riding" . What a moron. It's not often that people will try and talk you out of buying what they are selling. Harley has some really die-hard advocates.
Sounds like a bit of a spazz if you ask me.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #5480
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,178
Or stolen. I wouldn't deal with him. There a lot of mint DR200s out there that are retired from the training range or just have been sitting in the garage unused for years.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #5481
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Or stolen. I wouldn't deal with him. There a lot of mint DR200s out there that are retired from the training range or just have been sitting in the garage unused for years.

Agreed. They're a dime a dozen. I've seen 4 or 5 on craigslist in the last few months.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #5482
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
That's what I was thinking. I just wanted the VIN so I could call up the local authorities and check to see if it was stolen. That's when he told me that the VIN is messed up because he bought it at a police auction. The selling price is south of 1k$ which is the only reason I was still considering it as long as it wasn't stolen.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #5483
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,195
Have a buddy with a different voice call to see the bike, strictly as a dirt bike. Go there together, get the VIN and then ask the cops if it's stolen.
I hate motorcycle thieves.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #5484
wazz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Have a buddy with a different voice call to see the bike, strictly as a dirt bike. Go there together, get the VIN and then ask the cops if it's stolen.
I hate motorcycle thieves.
Right on Tom !

Take a look at it, get the VIN and bust him out if it's stolen. Bike thieves are today's horse thieves, Hang'em!

-greg
wazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #5485
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
The real irony here is that there's quite a few harleys that handle worse on road than the DR does lol...
Old 05-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #5486
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
Short answer, it depends. Long answer:

Jets - due to emissions requirements bike companies are under a lot of pressure to meet retarded standards. The result is they sell the bikes with jetting so lean that its right on the ragged edge of doing damage to the engine.
not completely true. they come lean on the pilot jet via the idle mixture screw being too few turns out to meet EPA regs/testing which is done at approx 3k rpms. all bikes in the USA are sold rich on the main jet and usually are pretty good on the needles for stock airbox and exhaust. they don't want their engines burning up at WOT and have to replace them under warranty.

I've posted my adjustments before with airbox and stock exhaust mods. a ken kit is not needed unless an aftermarket exhaust is used, even then opening up the idle mixture screw and shimming the oem needle would work.

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #5487
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailrider200 View Post
I've posted my adjustments before with airbox and stock exhaust mods. a ken kit is not needed unless an aftermarket exhaust is used, even then opening up the idle mixture screw and shimming the oem needle would work.

What's nice about the kit is that everything is already sorted and no testing and fiddling is necessary. I just swapped the parts in and it required no tinkering.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #5488
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganSS View Post
pretty much what he said ^^

As far as the hobby goes, thats why Ive made my own toolbox and mounted it, that was 9 dollars. I constructed my own comfortable seat, although this was pretty much a necessity LOL

The jets will take me 10 minutes and have better performance, so thats a cheap mod

Im leaving the sprocket if it doesnt make that much of a difference. I need more top end but its not paramount.
what are your mods?

try opening up the idle mixture screw from lightly seated closed to about 3 to 3 1/2 turns open. go for a ride and see the difference.

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #5489
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,766

Been commuting on mine this week. seeing as it's a 1999 w/4,300 or so miles on it, I don't know if I want to fool around with modifications... if changing the jets, seems like you need to change the muffler too. I don't mind $40 for a kit; but a new muffler
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #5490
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger View Post

Been commuting on mine this week. seeing as it's a 1999 w/4,300 or so miles on it, I don't know if I want to fool around with modifications... if changing the jets, seems like you need to change the muffler too. I don't mind $40 for a kit; but a new muffler
I ran the Kientech jets with the stock muffler for a while. It ran fine. I have a two inch hole drilled in the airbox cover. Later on, I had a larger nozzle installed in the stock muffler. Ask Jesse about your set-up...he'll discuss it with you.