I like.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #5509
MorganSS
Texan

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by psu75 View Post
looky...!

Sweet! I want one but Im not ready for the awesomeness yet. I need some more notches on the bedpost. I did get some nice metal ramps for my truck that I use for my riding lawnmower, however this greatly increases my range for exploring. That way I can just drive/park/ride instead of trying to find total backwood low mph roads for the bike.

I have come a long way in my confidence and respect of the road. Ive even waved at a couple of dual sporters around town but I still loathe the harley guys for some reason.
MorganSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:48 AM   #5510
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,453
Sticky Petcock

I just thought that I would cross post some photos of the sticky OEM petcock

Sticky Petcock

She used to be cold-blooded to start. Today at 48F, no choke/no gas and kicked right over!
Old 05-12-2012, 05:16 AM   #5511
Sateev
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
I just thought that I would cross post some photos of the sticky OEM petcock

Sticky Petcock

She used to be cold-blooded to start. Today at 48F, no choke/no gas and kicked right over!
Good thing you caught the leaky petcock, and the gas in your oil, before any damage was done.

Having holes in the airbox lid, and a thumbscrew-type idle mixture screw, I'd bet that someone installed the Kientech jet kit, which includes the screw, new main and pilot jet, and a different (adjustable) needle. Jesse now recommends removing the airbox lid entirely. If so, the filters you put in the holes will probably make it run rich, since they are quite restrictive (more than half the surface area is plastic grid). In any case, they serve no earthly purpose, and, if you're not going to remove the lid altogether, I'd advise you to get rid of them, however cool they might look.

More evidence that it is now running rich is the fact that it started without the choke, when you used to need it.

If you want to keep water out of the airbox (pretty radical riding required to get it in in the first place), get some water repellent mesh, sold as air cleaner 'socks', and cut out the rest of the lid. Put the mesh over it with some good sticky glue, and it will still breathe well, and be water repellent.
Sateev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #5512
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sateev View Post
More evidence that it is now running rich is the fact that it started without the choke, when you used to need it.
Although that is most likely true I am far happier with the way the bike starts than having to choke it and give it gas while cranking it. I can deal with a bike which runs a bit rich than one which runs lean.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #5513
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,656
Cool2 Last night...

Just yesterday I bought some new pads and a Yamaha petcock for the LittleBike (or Little Beyotch as the case may be). Then I went for a long ride on the big one (R100RT w/Ural sidecar).

When I got back, I went to move the DR outa' the way - would roll forward, but not backwards... took a closer look - the damned caliper piston was stickin' welp, didn't know I was gonna' rebuild the caliper right then, but it's a good thing I had what I needed.

If Id'a been thinking, I would've taken pictures, so's you could get a laugh out of it...

The old brake pads were worn so thin, the piston had expanded out of the caliper to the point where it could not return! Disassembled and cleaned everything - had to go get a bottle of DOT 4 - then reassembled and torqued in place.
Bled the brakes *was frustrating, because the bottle of brake fluid got knocked over... no big deal, I guess, just more mess to clean
Looked at the old pads - what's this little shiny thing on the back?
Service manual says sumptin' about a "shim?" I didn't see no stinking shim?

Re-disassembled everything to put the shim I just found onto the outer pad (facing the piston).
Re-assembled and torqued - had to open the bleeder screw to relieve pressure enough for the difference in clearance caused by the shim... and re-bled.

Now it's gonna' be morning, a nice warm one, I hope, and another 100 mile day on the LB!
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #5514
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

New foot for the DR

This should help in the soft stuff.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #5515
Bud11
n00b

Oddometer: 6
New guy Bud saying Hi.

Bought a 2002 DR200SE yesterday for myself to fool around on and to teach my partner Bonnie how to ride. Just took it for a spin in my backyard and it was fun as hell. Haven't ridden off the rode in 30 years. Anyhow, seems like a cool Thread here. Bud
Bud11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #5516
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,430
Howdy Bud.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #5517
MorganSS
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud11 View Post
Bought a 2002 DR200SE yesterday for myself to fool around on and to teach my partner Bonnie how to ride. Just took it for a spin in my backyard and it was fun as hell. Haven't ridden off the rode in 30 years. Anyhow, seems like a cool Thread here. Bud

welcome!
Old 05-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #5518
MorganSS
Texan

Can we talk windscreens?

I would like one, but as with all of my other mods, I prefer to either do it myself or find a cheaper alternative. I do this both to learn new things and for my pocketbook. So far Ive made my own gear bag, seat addition, and a couple of other little things. Id like something to part the wind and not cause too much worry if it gets scratched up.

Any ideas?
Old 05-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #5519
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Can get sheets of lexan or polycarbonate at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. for pretty cheap. Can cut it with a jigsaw using a fine blade. Doubt the piece you'd need would be more than $20-$30.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #5520
Conman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Although that is most likely true I am far happier with the way the bike starts than having to choke it and give it gas while cranking it. I can deal with a bike which runs a bit rich than one which runs lean.

Hi Blaster, Take a look how i modified the airbox lid:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2586

Conman is offline   Reply With Quote