Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #5566
amtz.zero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Hi, I was wondering if any of you guys could help me out. My wife's dr is not running right. I test rode it after she complained about it and it seems like it wants to cut off. It just acts like it wants to turn off as you're riding it and sometimes when she's stopped at red lights too. I'm pretty sure it's not the carburetor as it was recently cleaned. Could it be something simple like the spark plug or cable? Would that cause the symptoms that I described? Any help is VERY much appreciated as this is her daily ride right now and my bike is too tall for her. Thank you guys in advance!
amtz.zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #5567
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,867
Mine had weird symptoms--not starting well, sputtering---here's that known issue:

Sticky Petcock
Old 05-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #5568
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Oddometer: 91
Add to it...

I was out looking for some instructions on replacing the headlight and came across this site - pretty good info here as I know a lot of of older DR's here and some of this will apply to the newer one's as well. I don't know if it's ever been posted or not but here's the link:

http://addto.it/1998-Suzuki-DR200
Old 05-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #5569
kwayne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
Lol speaking of overly complicated...he added it as a security measure. I had one on my banshee in lieu of a key. Just a toggle switch hidden up under the plastics so nobody could start it but me.
Well I figured it out. BLOWN FUSE. I guess I gave the previous owner to much credit thinking he would have checked that first before running wires to get power. I dont think it was a security thing because the switch was dangling off the side of the bike with a red wire looped to the front headlight assembly.
kwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #5570
kwayne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelness View Post
Looks and sounds like the previous owner had some sort of draw on his electrical system and installed a overly complicated battery disconnect switch as those two wires seem to connect all the electrical and start circuit into the same circuit, or he wanted to be able to run in stealth mode (no lights) and failed by inadvertently disabling the start circuit. By the way what part of MS, I used to live in Gulfport?
meridian
kwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #5571
amtz.zero
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
Mine had weird symptoms--not starting well, sputtering---here's that known issue:

Sticky Petcock
It's definitely not the petcock. I pulled the line that goes from the tank to the carb and it didn't pour gas so the petcock is fine and there's no gas in the airbox or anything. Does anyone else have any idea what it might be? The bike cuts out a little while you're riding and also when you're stopped. It cuts out a little and then it'll lurch forward a little right after it wanted to turn off (while you're riding, not when you're stopped). ANY help is appreciated, I know there's guys on here that know this bike inside and out. Thank you in advance!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #5572
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
I'd replace the petcock with a raptor one anyway just b/c its going to fail at some point so might as well remove that as a possible culprit to this issue and save yourself potentially costly repairs when it does fail.

It sounds like a carb issue to me. What part of the throttle range is it doing it at (0-1/4, 1/4-3/4, 3/4-full)? Just b/c the carb was recently cleaned doesn't mean that it can't be the issue - especially if you had a shop do it. I've heard tales of shops installing parts in backwards or even forgetting to put the jets back in. Have you pulled the plug to see what it looks like? That is your best indication of how good the fuel/air mixture is. When's the last time you adjusted the valves? Valves that are way way out can cause the engine to run rough.

I'd try pulling the plug and post a pic if you're not sure what you're looking at. Then I'd try running it with the choke on to see if that clears things up. If it does you probably have a plugged jet.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #5573
amtz.zero
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
I'd replace the petcock with a raptor one anyway just b/c its going to fail at some point so might as well remove that as a possible culprit to this issue and save yourself potentially costly repairs when it does fail.

It sounds like a carb issue to me. What part of the throttle range is it doing it at (0-1/4, 1/4-3/4, 3/4-full)? Just b/c the carb was recently cleaned doesn't mean that it can't be the issue - especially if you had a shop do it. I've heard tales of shops installing parts in backwards or even forgetting to put the jets back in. Have you pulled the plug to see what it looks like? That is your best indication of how good the fuel/air mixture is. When's the last time you adjusted the valves? Valves that are way way out can cause the engine to run rough.

I'd try pulling the plug and post a pic if you're not sure what you're looking at. Then I'd try running it with the choke on to see if that clears things up. If it does you probably have a plugged jet.

Well, I went over the whole bike and the postive terminal on the battery was loose. I tightened it and went out for a test ride and the bike acted completely normal. Is it possible that was the only thing wrong? Could it be that easy? Thanks.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #5574
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Discontinued?

Just checking out Suzuki USA's site and saw no new DR200.
I can live with that IF they bring us a DRZ250S (air/oil cooled) but I think it'd be a shame to not have a smaller D.S. than the DRZ400S.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #5575
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtz.zero View Post
Well, I went over the whole bike and the postive terminal on the battery was loose. I tightened it and went out for a test ride and the bike acted completely normal. Is it possible that was the only thing wrong? Could it be that easy? Thanks.
Good job, I would think that was all it was. Ride on.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #5576
JayGoldstein
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post

Just checking out Suzuki USA's site and saw no new DR200.
I can live with that IF they bring us a DRZ250S (air/oil cooled) but I think it'd be a shame to not have a smaller D.S. than the DRZ400S.
There is a 2012 DR200SE in Canada (http://moto.suzuki.ca/Product%20Line...2/DR200SE.aspx). The 2009-2012 models have the same specs and come in the same colour (black).

JayGoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #5577
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtz.zero View Post
Sounds like you got it. My first guess would've been something happened during the carb cleaning.. didja' take out the battery then, too? Had a similar problem on my hack, eventually traced down a faulty negative terminal... it's usually the last thing you worked on. DAMHIK
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #5578
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsta View Post
now I get it. I knew what they meant by snails or whutever... but didn't see your picture till just now.

Just changed out the petcock for the Yamaha... had to trim the inside of the petcock handle so it'd clear the lip of the tank. I know I saw pictures of some bodges with fuel line (because the fuel line spigot is larger diameter than the DR200 petcock) but I think I'll just go get a reducer tomorrow to bring it back to the right size... or maybe an inline fuel filter.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #5579
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO_GuN View Post
For the life of me I can't figure out why peeps here keep recommending a Raptor petcock.

There is a cheap Yamaha petcock that IS AN EXCACT REPLACEMENT TO INCLUDE FUEL LINE SIZE!!!!

It is: Yamaha 23F-24500-11-00 - FUEL COCK ASSY 1 (4X8-24500-02-00) - A new o-ring comes with it.

I had two sizes of fuel line clamped together too and didn't like it. Stretching the little size over the big outlet of a Raptor petcock would be plain dumb IMO, just asking for it to split and leak. I took my Raptor petcock off and replaced it with the proper petcock listed above. At the time it was around $10 - I spent near that much on fuel line and clamps trying to use the Raptor model

Edit: I forgot to mention that I had to go through the hassle of cutting the main discharge tube down ... as received it was so high that I would have to switch to reserve with alot of gas left.
...going back through the thread looking for those pictures.
This is the petcock I bought - fuel line is smaller than the spigot on the petcock. Also, the fuel filter level was ~lower~ than the vacuum stocker... so I'ma thinkin' it'll be LESS fuel in the reserve.
This one sits a little closer to the tank (it's smaller than the stocker) so I took a Dremel tool w/cutoff wheel to the inside edge so it'd clear the lip of the gas tank - otherwise you wouldn't be able to rotate it to reserve. 'bout $10 though.
Such a fun word...
Old 05-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #5580
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Oddometer: 91
I'm moving from PA to TX this summer - is there anything particular I should do to the bike to prepare it for the change in the weather conditions/sea level? I'll be in the Houston area so it'll be HOT. My poor little bike is used to me getting it out in the colder weather and riding it... Any advice is helpful!

Thanks!