Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #5596
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
I've been doing some totally GNARLY adventuring lately. I'm talking totally intense rocky steep hills, deep mud, and jumping off stuff. However after a few scrapes I'm getting more than nervous about my engine/frame. Which brings my to my question.

Does anybody here know if the MSR skid plate is better than the Ricochet plate?

MSR Skid Plate
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSR-SKID-PLA...13c30c&vxp=mtr

Ricochet Skid Plate
http://www.dualsportarmory.com/produ...hp?item_id=555
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DR200...55fd97&vxp=mtr

The ricochet one seems to have better coverage.
HeReTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #5597
PerroLoco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Selling 2004 DR200SE - in SW Colorado

Selling my DR200SE. It's a 2004 with 1450 miles on it. Here's a listing on Craig's List with pics if you are interested: http://westslope.craigslist.org/mcy/3043808073.html. I live in Durango, CO. Thanks - Dan
PerroLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #5598
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,707
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerroLoco View Post
Selling my DR200SE. It's a 2004 with 1450 miles on it. Here's a listing on Craig's List with pics if you are interested: http://westslope.craigslist.org/mcy/3043808073.html. I live in Durango, CO. Thanks - Dan
If I hadn't already done the deal I'd be lookin' at that. just my opinion, but you should toss a couple pictures in of the taillights and muffler, on that ad of yours... GLWS
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #5599
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman View Post
Web037, wanted to know how the BBR fork springs are working out? Also what weight fork oil you using?

Thanks,
Con
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:45 AM   #5600
Bud11
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Need knobbie tire help!!

Local dealer says no aftermarket knobbies will fit on my 2002 DR200SE. Online search finds nothing. What works for you guys??

front - 70/100-21

rear - 100/90- 18

Must be something out there for me. Bud
Old 05-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #5601
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud11 View Post
Local dealer says no aftermarket knobbies will fit on my 2002 DR200SE. Online search finds nothing. What works for you guys??

front - 70/100-21

rear - 100/90- 18

Must be something out there for me. Bud

Haha wow that's a new one...

1st, never go back to that dealer again. I'm 100% serious. I'm not even sure how the guy that told you that manages to breathe on his own.

2nd, any, yes any, motorcycle tire with the last number of 21 will fit on the front. The rear will fit anything probably 120 or 130 and smaller on the first number (width) and 18 on the last number (rim size). In other words, 90% of all off road knobbie tires in production will fit.

I'd suggest getting a DOT approved tire. Dunlop D606 front and Pirelli MT21 rear is what I personally use on both my bikes. The MT-21 wears fairly quick if you ride on the street a lot.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #5602
Bud11
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
Haha wow that's a new one...

1st, never go back to that dealer again. I'm 100% serious. I'm not even sure how the guy that told you that manages to breathe on his own.

2nd, any, yes any, motorcycle tire with the last number of 21 will fit on the front. The rear will fit anything probably 120 or 130 and smaller on the first number (width) and 18 on the last number (rim size). In other words, 90% of all off road knobbie tires in production will fit.

I'd suggest getting a DOT approved tire. Dunlop D606 front and Pirelli MT21 rear is what I personally use on both my bikes. The MT-21 wears fairly quick if you ride on the street a lot.
Thanks - great information. Any chance you know the exact sizes you are using on your DR200 so I can find something I know works.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #5603
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
I'd actually favor another D606 on the rear vs. the MT-21 if I didn't have seat height limitations (my wife is 5'). The MT21 is a fine tire but wears quickly with road use. Honestly ANY TIRE meeting the requirements I suggested will fit. In DOT approved tires alone that gives you probably 40+ different tire/size combos to chose from. With my limitations, I had a choice between 2 tires and the MT21 won because it looked more aggressive.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:17 AM   #5604
Conman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud11 View Post
Thanks - great information. Any chance you know the exact sizes you are using on your DR200 so I can find something I know works.
I have MT21s mounted front and rear.
Pictures next to OEM tires:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2628

80/90-21 front and 120/80-18 rear. Both taller than OEM. There is a 110/80-18 rear. I went with the MT21 instead of the D606 because on paper they were closer in size to OEM than the Dunlop. These are 90/10 tires Dirt/Street. I barely ride on the street just between trails so I can't add any wear comments. I do like them in the dirt as they have way more bite than the OEM trail wings. On dry pavement, they don't seem squirmy but again, I don't ride much on the street. I run PSI in the 15-19 range.

Con
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:24 AM   #5605
Bud11
n00b

Thanks Con, more really good info. and the pictures were nice for comparison purposes.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:13 PM   #5606
Lateralus180
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Hello

This is my first post here but I have been browsing the forum for about two months now. I am a new rider and just got my Illinois motorcycle license this month. I purchased an 06 Suzuki DR200 recently and love the bike so far. This thread along with the members of ADV have been very well appreciated over the last month as the DR200 needed a lot of lovin'. My bike ran extremely lean and crappy from the factory but I have solved most of the issues with the help of other DR200 owners here and all of the great advice. Besides the lean issues, I had a bad petcock and there was gasoline all over the original air filter, in the air box, and in the crank case.

My bike is a 2006 and had 1350 miles when I purchased it. I'll include a list of modifications here that I have done.

Yamaha Fuel Petcock
UNI Air Filter
Airbox Lid Holes (three holes that are 1" in diameter)
Kientech Jetting Kit

I spent some time yesterday with the foot pegs and rear break lever. They were rusted quite badly so I disassembled them, pins and all for refinishing. I removed what rust I could with a wire brush and soap, black primed with a rust primer, and shot them all with Rustoleum truck bed liner. The truck bed liner is a thick flat paint with very fine sand particles or something like it embedded in the paint. I don't know if it'll add much more grip because they were already quite tacky but it was on sale where I work so eh!

The muffler came off as well and was painted with Rustoleum 2000 degree engine enamel. It was discolored, scuffed, and somewhat rusted. I'm kind of disappointed with the engine enamel, as it's a very flat black-ish grey.

I also added some 3M reflective tape (red/white) to the swing arm and side of the forks for added visibility.

If anyone in Northern Illinois wants to ride just shoot me a PM. I'm somewhere near Will County and DuPage County (it's a secret!).

Lateralus180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #5607
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus180 View Post

Howdy, and nice pictures.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #5608
Lateralus180
Adventurer

I wanted this post to be separate from my introduction above.

My rear spring is set to the softest setting which puts the seat down really low. It sags even lower when I sit on it because it's soft and I only weigh 125 LBS.

I want to adjust the spring so it's a little stiffer and so the seat sits at the highest setting. The previous owner never gave me the adjustment wrench, if the bike even came with one from the factory? He said he lowered the seat when he got the bike but I don't know how.

How do I go about raising the seat? It looks like I move the adjustment nut down until it can't go any further. The manual says you need to take the rear wheel off and remove the spring and shock assembly but can it be done without removing anything? I'm thinking maybe I have to prop the bike up so there is no pressure on the rear wheel.

Advice is much appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: Can it be done without a specialty wrench? If so, how? If not, where can I find a replacement? I would like to avoid buying a $25 adjustable wrench.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:32 PM   #5609
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,838
What you do is take a metal rod and a hammer and drive the rings on the threaded shock tighter. First back off the locking ring and then drive the other one around to compress the spring more. Do it in one- or two-thread increments and check how the shock feels every time. Then catch up with the locking ring when you've got the setting you like. I added a little preload to my shock this way. You don't need to take anything apart.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #5610
Lateralus180
Adventurer

Awesome, thanks! I will see what I can do tonight.