Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #5656
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
If you're talking about local highways then the DR is a fun little bike to cruise around town and do some simple riding in the dirt. If you intend on taking it on the freeway then I'd reconsider. Not to say that it can't be done but a 200 is really anemic for freeway speeds. My wife's DR tops out around 60mph with my 230~lbs on it, which is about 10mph short of the slow lane around here. At 130lbs, you won't be as grossly affected by hills and headwind but you'll still be asking a lot of a small engine if you gear it high enough to maintain freeway speeds.

Offroad the DR is a happy little trail bike, but I'd avoid the hairy stuff that your 250 ate up. Keep in mind that the DR weighs a good 20% more than the RM and doesn't have the suspension you're used to for soaking up jumps or big ruts.

Coming from a RM250 I'd hardly consider yourself a rank beginner. That 250 had about the same amount of horsepower as most 4-stroke bikes in the 450-500cc range and a much more abrupt delivery at that. The DR is a whole different kind of bike, which can be good or bad depending on your riding style.

The stock handlebars are very heavy, so upgrading them isn't a bad idea. I just ordered some Pro Tapers for my wife's bike along with one of those ultralight Ballistic Evo2 batteries. I'll be weighing the before and after and post my results.

For the exhaust, FMF Q4 has a nice tone and is still below the legal decibel limit - plus its quite a bit lighter than stock. There's a link to it on page 1 of this thread as well as a kientech jet kit that will save you some time with finding the right jetting.

If you haven't already done it, replace the stock petcock. Lots of info on that in this thread, just go back a few pages.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:21 AM   #5657
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post

I'm picturing this bike with a load of camping gear on the back, knobbiest and a bash plate, maybe a tool tube, a little windscreen and a few ADV stickers here and there...
And some Siberian looking mountains in the background.
tkent02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #5658
JayGoldstein
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Oil overfill

Got the bike back from the 1,000 km service and noticed that the oil level is above the "F" line. In fact, oil extends to the top of the sight glass when the bike is straight up. The manual says to add 950 ml of oil after an oil and filter change. I suspect that the technician added a full litre of oil.

Are there harmful consequences of overfilling the crankcase by 50 ml? Should I siphon out the excess oil?

JayGoldstein screwed with this post 06-08-2012 at 12:37 PM
JayGoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #5659
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,873
The top of the sight glass is overfilled, but not really to an extreme. If it's overfilled to the point where the crank is churning the oil, the oil will get frothy with air and bubbly oil doesn't protect bearing surfaces so well. Or so I was told.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #5660
Highaltidude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I keep a $.99 kitchen baster in the garage just for removing oil when it's overfilled......
Don't know if that would work on the DR.....

Chuck
Highaltidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #5661
tomas377
n00b

Oddometer: 7
options for exhaust fr dr200?

other than the fmf q4 what are there?? and if im looking on websites browsing exhausts and they dont list the dr200 are there any other bike that are similar enough that the exhausts parts would work with the dr200?
tomas377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #5662
Conman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas377 View Post
other than the fmf q4 what are there?? and if im looking on websites browsing exhausts and they dont list the dr200 are there any other bike that are similar enough that the exhausts parts would work with the dr200?
Check my post about the DG:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post15662498

DG O Series Slip on for DR200?
https://www.denniskirk.com/435452.sku

The DG is cheaper than the FMF I have. You should see if it fits and let the forum know.....
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #5663
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,268
Replacing the fork oil on my wife's DR200, any tips to getting the stopper ring out? I need a third hand. I can push the fork cap down, and twist the stopper ring around but can't get it out of it's slot. Thanks.

Figured it out, if you push the fork cap down, then use a small pick or screw driver to also push the stop ring down, that will push it out of the groove and then with a bit of fiddling you can get your pick/screwdriver behind the stop ring to pop it out. Would still be way easier with a third hand.

bross screwed with this post 06-09-2012 at 02:05 PM
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #5664
L1ability
Accident Prone

Oddometer: 34
what can be removed from these bikes (1986 dr200 in question here) to make it lighter, not for street use, off road only.

i was thinking obvious things like light, speedo assembly, but how would one go about wiring to make it run with a simple on/off kill switch?
L1ability is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #5665
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1ability View Post
what can be removed from these bikes (1986 dr200 in question here) to make it lighter, not for street use, off road only.

i was thinking obvious things like light, speedo assembly, but how would one go about wiring to make it run with a simple on/off kill switch?
Simple answer, anything not required. Passenger pegs and hangers. Any guards, reflectors and associated tabs etc. I know people always ask this question but I have to ask one back and it's kinda personal. How much do you weigh? Personally I could stand to lose 10-12 lbs and it would be easier for me to lose the lbs than to try to remove 10-12 lbs from my DR.

Here's the wiring diagram, just run the wires from the start button to your "new" on/off switch.

click the following link for the large print edition
http://faithcottage.smugmug.com/Moto...03_CEqCT-O.jpg
Old 06-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #5666
DRDeano
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas377 View Post
Also try DF200 :cool:

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
DRDeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #5667
L1ability
Accident Prone

or if you can mod it a bit, ive found a CRF250 pipe works on the DR, used pipes fot ehm are MUCH easier to come by,

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797215

thats assuming they didnt change anything on the dr since 86... lol

and for wiring, thats what i thought.. im 5'11 and weight about 165lbs, so im not too bad, i was just asking if theres anything not soo obvious... guess the bike is kinda simple :p
Old 06-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #5668
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
or if you can mod it a bit, ive found a CRF250 pipe works on the DR, used pipes fot ehm are MUCH easier to come by,

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797215

thats assuming they didnt change anything on the dr since 86... lol

and for wiring, thats what i thought.. im 5'11 and weight about 165lbs, so im not too bad, i was just asking if theres anything not soo obvious... guess the bike is kinda simple :p
Bought as simple as they come. Could try helium in the tires.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #5669
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:

I'm currently undertaking a weight-loss routine on my wife's DR and I think you might be disappointed with your results. If you start chopping off passenger pegs and tossing lights you'll probably only get a savings of 15 lbs or so at best guess but you'll effectively destroy the resale value of the bike. The street legal denomination on any bike significantly increases the value. If you want a dirt-only bike, you'll do much better selling your DR. In my area you can get a nice 250 for less than the price of a DR. Or if 4 strokes are your thing, you could afford two YZ or WR426's for the cost of the DR. Even some of the early years of the 450's can be found that cheap. Comparing a DR to a 450 offroad is like comparing a VW Bug to a Bugatti Veyron.

That said, your big ticket weight savers that can easily be replaced are: handlebars, headlight/speedo assembly (replace with aftermarket), battery, tires/tubes (replace with tubeliss), rear rack/fender (requires custom modification), and exhaust. I'm estimating a savings of around 35lbs (13%) by swapping what I've mentioned and keeping it street legal in the process.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #5670
L1ability
Accident Prone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
I'm currently undertaking a weight-loss routine on my wife's DR and I think you might be disappointed with your results. If you start chopping off passenger pegs and tossing lights you'll probably only get a savings of 15 lbs or so at best guess but you'll effectively destroy the resale value of the bike. The street legal denomination on any bike significantly increases the value. If you want a dirt-only bike, you'll do much better selling your DR. In my area you can get a nice 250 for less than the price of a DR. Or if 4 strokes are your thing, you could afford two YZ or WR426's for the cost of the DR. Even some of the early years of the 450's can be found that cheap. Comparing a DR to a 450 offroad is like comparing a VW Bug to a Bugatti Veyron.

That said, your big ticket weight savers that can easily be replaced are: handlebars, headlight/speedo assembly (replace with aftermarket), battery, tires/tubes (replace with tubeliss), rear rack/fender (requires custom modification), and exhaust. I'm estimating a savings of around 35lbs (13%) by swapping what I've mentioned and keeping it street legal in the process.
well for the 20lbs im willing to actually take off the bike without cutting, id rather just leave it, haha,

and unfortunatly, around here its extremly opposite. street legal bikes are cheap, and MX bikes are pricey. all i wanted was an older RM250, i couldent find one even as old as 78 for under $700 (my budget). i stumbled upon this non running (at the time) DR for $250, so i got it... i coulda also got a 1984 honda enduro 200 for $300 too, but i like my zukes for 2 wheels . I have about 160 in the bike bringing it to about $410 total... if i can sell it for 600 to someone, i may be able to shoe-horn an rm with my cash, but i'd have to wait for a good deal. i prefer 2 strokes anyways, but i have been liking the simplicity in tuning and running the dr alot latley... add gas and go!

anyways so far i think the DR, even being an 86 is a solid machine