Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #5701
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganSS View Post
I have someone coming to check out the bike tomorrow, hopefully getting a couple hundred more than what I paid for. I did find a 99 DR350 with 6K miles on it though. Any input on the 350s? I just need something bigger and hopefully something that can cruise at 70 mph. Havent done much research on them yet.

A DR350 is a great idea...they cruise at 70 nicely because of the six-speed transmission. It's a very smooth motor.

Klay screwed with this post 06-15-2012 at 05:45 PM
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #5702
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,844
For Hajime's 350 we eventually went to a 1-tooth larger countershaft sprocket. It's a 96 SE model, and had stock gearing when we got it. Stock, first gear was like a full-on dirt bike, too low for dualsports work really. It's much better now, in fact, could go even a bit taller on the gearing.

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #5703
MorganSS
Texan

Oddometer: 81
bross, of COURSE it needs to be a dual sport lol, Im on trails every day LOL

Too bad the 350 is gone already, it was only 1500 bucks locally. Something else will pop up. theres actually a pretty sweet KLX450 I think that is local as well, but I heard parts support sucks for those, def not a lot around.

I was offered an assault rifle and some cash, I almost took it haha, gotta love Texas.
MorganSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #5704
I'm Trying
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
My bike still won't idle when hot and the throttle tends to hang between shifts. I've replaced everything in the carb except for the float and cv diaghram. That being said the bike runs great with the kientech kit and pipe above idle. So since the bike still wont reliably idle I decided to throw some more parts/money at it while I keep an eye out for a reliable mechanic who can diagnose my problem. Over the weekend I installed new Shinko 705s to replace the 11 year old trailwings that came with the bike. I like the added ride height they provide and the bike feels more confident at speed and when cornering. I installed new 4mm Michelin tubes which probably added some unneeded weight but after spending 3 hours persuading the rear tire onto the rim they are probably worth it.

I also added a cycleracks rack which took a little bit of persuading to fit but is a quality piece of work.
And in addition i added a slipstreamer windshield. I actually added two last weekend the s-06 previously recommended on this thread and an s-03 that is much larger more like a vetter fairing. I saw a two mile per hour increase in speed with the smaller s-06 and an additional 1 mph over that with the larger s-03.

I'm planning a trip up to Ann Arbor at the beginning of June. Hopefully, I ll get the engine sorted this next week.
I'm Trying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #5705
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Trying View Post
My bike still won't idle when hot and the throttle tends to hang between shifts. I've replaced everything in the carb except for the float and cv diaghram. That being said the bike runs great with the kientech kit and pipe above idle. So since the bike still wont reliably idle I decided to throw some more parts/money at it while I keep an eye out for a reliable mechanic who can diagnose my problem. Over the weekend I installed new Shinko 705s to replace the 11 year old trailwings that came with the bike. I like the added ride height they provide and the bike feels more confident at speed and when cornering. I installed new 4mm Michelin tubes which probably added some unneeded weight but after spending 3 hours persuading the rear tire onto the rim they are probably worth it.

I also added a cycleracks rack which took a little bit of persuading to fit but is a quality piece of work.
And in addition i added a slipstreamer windshield. I actually added two last weekend the s-06 previously recommended on this thread and an s-03 that is much larger more like a vetter fairing. I saw a two mile per hour increase in speed with the smaller s-06 and an additional 1 mph over that with the larger s-03.

I'm planning a trip up to Ann Arbor at the beginning of June. Hopefully, I ll get the engine sorted this next week.
What the heck kind of rack is that!?
HeReTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #5706
MorganSS
Texan

Welp, sold the girl!

Bought it for 1800 and sold it for 1800

Im glad I got that price because it was a tad high being an 01 with 1111 miles on it. But shes in great shape and I hope her new female owner has a safe and fun time with her.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #5707
JayGoldstein
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Fuel consumption: my recent experience

Yesterday I took my longest ride so far on the DR down to the Canada-US border at Emerson, MB. The all-highway round trip was 245 km (~160 mi). I tried to maintain a 90 km/h (55 mph) cruising speed based on the GPS (an indicated 95 km/h). My moving average (according to the GPS) was 73 km/h (45 mph). It was a warm, sunny day, but with a fairly stiff westerly wind. Most of my riding was in a north-south direction, so my upper body got a good work out keeping the DR on course.

I started the ride with about 125 km on the trip odometer. I didn't refuel before leaving as I wanted to see how far I could go before having to switch over to the reserve. The switch over came at exactly 300 km (186 mi). I intended to refuel at Emerson for the return trip, but their gas station was no longer in business. I continued on and finally refuelled at 345 km (214 mi). The fill-up was 11.5l, which meant that I had 1.5l the left in the tank. Theoretically, I could have gone another 45-50 km (28-30 mi) before running dry (but I would have been in high-anxiety mode doing so). My fuel consumption for that tank was 3.3 l/100km (71 mpg US).

Here's the bike at the Welcome Centre at Emerson:
From 2009 Suzuki DR200SE

BTW, I'd appreciate recommendations for mini tank bags and tank panniers that will fit the DR200SE. Any photos showing the bag/panniers on the bike would be helpful. TIA.

JayGoldstein screwed with this post 06-16-2012 at 04:30 PM
JayGoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #5708
I'm Trying
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Cycleracks rack

The rack is from:
http://www.cycleracks.com/
this is the photo of the DR200 rack from their website
http://www.cycleracks.com/images/DR_200.gif
But what they sent me was pretty different from that picture but it fit.
I'm Trying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #5709
Highaltidude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Trying View Post
The rack is from:
http://www.cycleracks.com/
this is the photo of the DR200 rack from their website
http://www.cycleracks.com/images/DR_200.gif
But what they sent me was pretty different from that picture but it fit.
Maybe a YOM thing?
Put one on my wife's 09 and it looks just like the one on the Cycleracks website.

Chuck
Highaltidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #5710
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
Small tank and hard to find rear tires?
Nah,tires are abundant....just not that many types/styles to choose from.....good machine.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #5711
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKohler883 View Post
I had two TW200's ... I loved them !! I was looking for another one (for under $1000 which is almost impossible) when I found the DR125SE by chance.
Since I don't have any seat time on the DR yet, I can't really compare the two. But I will say, it had plenty of power for my 6 ft, 200 lb frame, and I loved the huge tires. In fact, that was my favorite part.
Tires are Not hard to get, and nobody "adapts" other tires to work. More than one company makes the stock tires, and Bridgestone also makes the "street" version tire for that bike, which I had on my 2005, and loved as well.
Tank is not much smaler than the DR, if at all. But I do believe people had done an XT225 tank swap for more capacity.
Bikes are not seen for sale much, but since they made them from 1988 to present, if you are looking you can find them in all price ranges. I missed one on ebay for $30 last month. It sold for $955, my high bid was $925 at the end.
I did like the TW better than both my Yamaha TTR225 and my Honda XR200R
Quick note on batteries for the TW (since that is what I do for a living) ... you can swap out the acid-filled battery, and put in a sealed maintenance free battery very easy. I used the high performance YTZ7S, which I considered using for the DR as well, but just went with the YTX7L-BS because it is much cheaper

Shorai (Japaneese battery co.) also makes a lithium battery for the TW200...alittle $$$,but, no acids spills,,,.several pounds lighter and alot more compact.You can mount these type batteries at any angle you wish....look into these.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #5712
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
[QUOTE=I'm Trying;18921812]My bike still won't idle when hot and the throttle tends to hang between shifts. [QUOTE]

idle mixture screw is set too lean.

www.factorypro.com go to tech section look for CV carb tunning

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:59 AM   #5713
sweetlou
small body, big balls

Oddometer: 1,064
Price?

All, looking at an 05 200 for my girlfriend. 1800 miles, all stock. Looks unmolested but a previous owner definitely kept the bike outside for extended periods of time. Light surface rust here and there and some petina on bolts, etc. Bike runs great. Tires are 60%.

What would be a fair price? He is asking $1800.

Lou

[2009 KTM 250 XCW(e)]

[2004 KTM 525EXC] - Sumo build
sweetlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #5714
MorganSS
Texan

wow how do you rub off 40 percent of your tire on a DR in 1800 miles
Old 06-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #5715
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
They aren't 60%, Deathwings are normally that bald.

Doesn't sound like too bad of a deal. I bought an 03 with 950 miles in excellent condition for $1900 a few months back. That's in SoCal though where anything street legal is worth a bit more than most other places.