Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #5746
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Sounds like the front wheel is out of balance.
Dammit. I just had these new tires put on. I wonder if the shop would help me out and check... Guess I'd better give a call...
Old 06-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #5747
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Houston Area

Oh another question - Anyone in the Houston area? If so, can you recommend a decent shop? The bike's gonna need inspected soon.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #5748
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,869
They're easy to balance on your own...all you need is a wheel balancing tool and some lead weights and sticky tape. You just put weight on the rim opposite the heavy side.

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...FcHRKgod72zmvw
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #5749
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Quote:
They're easy to balance on your own...all you need is a wheel balancing tool and some lead weights and sticky tape. You just put weight on the rim opposite the heavy side.

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...FcHRKgod72zmvw

If I weren't busy packing my life up right now to move across the country, I might think about doing it for myself but I just don't have the time. So...off to the shop it goes.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #5750
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by psu75 View Post
Dammit. I just had these new tires put on. I wonder if the shop would help me out and check... Guess I'd better give a call...
Might be that the bead did not get seated correctly, especially if you can feel it at low speeds. I have also seen a few tires that were defective and out of round.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #5751
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
Might be that the bead did not get seated correctly, especially if you can feel it at low speeds. I have also seen a few tires that were defective and out of round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psu75 View Post
If I weren't busy packing my life up right now to move across the country, I might think about doing it for myself but I just don't have the time. So...off to the shop it goes.
Might want to bring 'er back and have the shop that mounted it do the work, before you go leavin' town.

I'd agree with Klay & Andy - especially since you just had new tires put on(?)
tony the tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #5752
L1ability
Accident Prone

Oddometer: 34
as an update to my no power problem, i just got back from the dealer with my new valve ajuster, installed it and WOW, for a 200, with this pumper carb and big gun exhaust it goes.
idles smoother, revvs cleaner and has all its power there.

my only problem now, is past 1/2 throttle, it sounds like the top ends gonna explode. up to 1/2 its nice clean power but past that it starts to rattle and clunk like crazy, any ideas?

both valves were set to .10mm
L1ability is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #5753
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1ability View Post
as an update to my no power problem, i just got back from the dealer with my new valve ajuster, installed it and WOW, for a 200, with this pumper carb and big gun exhaust it goes.
idles smoother, revvs cleaner and has all its power there.

my only problem now, is past 1/2 throttle, it sounds like the top ends gonna explode. up to 1/2 its nice clean power but past that it starts to rattle and clunk like crazy, any ideas?

both valves were set to .10mm
Did you look around inside the head for the other adjuster/nut? and did you tighten the new one enough?

If it sounds like the top end is gonna explode, if you run it long enough making noise like that, it probably will.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:21 AM   #5754
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Quote:

Here's my tip: Put the bike on a stand, remove the front caliper, and balance the front wheel on the bike. Easy and works great. You can do the same on the rear but the chain has to be off to remove any drag on the wheel.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #5755
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
"NEW" 2007 DR250SE! I bought it today, 999 miles on the odometer. The last owner barely rode it (obviously). The dealer took it in and cleaned the tank, carb, changed the oil, adjusted the valves, etc etc. I got it for $2600 OTD, its the most I could naggle them down, but they had just done over $300 in service to it, so I figured that was good.

I rode it home about 20 miles, mostly on 55 mph roads. It felt comfortable at about 50-55 indicated, I got it up to 70 indicated. My feet and hands felt a little buzzy when I got home.

The dealer admitted its cold natured, I guess a jet kit is in order? Can I drill out and adjust the fuel screw in the meantime?

I have started my farkle shopping list already!

I was impressed with the comfort for a big (fat) guy like me, and the torque. Also the pretty blue paint job

Old 06-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #5756
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Old 06-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #5757
Lateralus180
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
BigCanoe

The jetting kit makes the bike much much much much better!! It feels hollow and unresponsive with the factory carb parts. On factory settings I would have to warm the bike up for 5-10 minutes with the choke on before I could ride. My 2006 DR200 feels a little more powerful but way more responsive and more grunty with the jetting kit. The engine revs up faster as well. I can ride it with 20-30 second warm ups now, and the choke can come off almost immediately after starting.

$40 for the jetting kit and 1-2 hours to install it and fine tune. 2 hours is more realistic.

Lateralus180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #5758
Highaltidude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanoe View Post
The dealer admitted its cold natured, I guess a jet kit is in order? Can I drill out and adjust the fuel screw in the meantime?
Define "cold natured". Does it run poorly when first started but when it warms up it runs great???

When we bought my wife's bike, we were told that same "cold natured" story by the PO. But it never really ran perfect when warmed up (although it did run a bit better). We eventually determined that it was a plugged pilot jet that just played a bigger role when cold.......
Note that cold air is denser and should help the lean condition that many of these bikes seem to have w factory jetting at sea level elevation.

I'm of the opinion that the "jet kit" is only needed if you have made other changes (exhaust and air box) that require more air flow..... Otherwise it's an easy thing to just jet for tuning....... I don't think it's a problem to drill out the plug to access the idle mixture screw for tuning....

Chuck
Highaltidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #5759
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
It needs to warm up, then it runs great! Maybe just turning the fuel mixture screw out would help. Anyone got a pic of where it's hidden?
Old 06-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #5760
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanoe View Post
It needs to warm up, then it runs great! Maybe just turning the fuel mixture screw out would help. Anyone got a pic of where it's hidden?

Hmm, you see that knob on the lower right of the carb? That's the aftermarket adjustable Kientech fuel mixture screw.

There's a brass plug in the well that you have to get out first if the carb is stock.