Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #5791
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,330
The Trailwings have earned their bad reputation for sure. Change them out for a decent tire and you will immediately notice the difference.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #5792
Sateev
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Changed old, cracked, hardened Trailwings for new IRC GP-1s. World of difference. Can't say personally how big a difference if the Trailwings were new.

Anyone tried a 4.60x18 GP-1 on the rear? I have a 4.00, but would like to change. I WILL change the 2.75x21 for a 3.00 soon.
Sateev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #5793
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
I finally finished reading the thread, and learned alot. It took me about a week :)

I have had my DR for a few days now, and put about 50 miles on it so far.

I am thinking about changing the gearing. This site has been helpful:

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

The stock gearing for my 2007 is 15/45 (6373 RPM in 5th gear at 55MPH).

I am either going to go:

16/45 (5975 RPM in 5th gear at 55MPH)

or

15/42 (5948 RPM in 5th gear at 55MPH)

Anyone done either of these changes? I am trying to make it more comfortable (less buzzy) at prolonged 55MPH without taking out the low speed torque.

And thanks for an excellent discussion thread!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #5794
L1ability
Accident Prone

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sateev View Post
Something doesn't make sense here: the upward travel of the rocker arm end (under the inspection cap) where the adjustment screw belongs, is limited by the downward travel of the follower on the cam. It can NEVER go high enough to hit the inspection cap, especially without the added height of the adjustment screw, and I seriously find it hard to believe that the intake valve would even open without the adjustment screw in place, although I have no real reason to doubt your word. It just doesn't make sense.

I would DEFINITELY remove the cylinder head cover and inspect the rockers and shafts, as well as having a look at the cam surfaces, before running the engine again. Hopefully you'll find the screw and nut somewhere in there. If the follower end of the rocker is worn down, or missing, then I can believe the rocker might hit the cap - and then you are in a world of hurt.
Sorry for the late reply, just recovering from a surgery, (my heads still a bit loopy from meds), anyways, i know the upward travel will never touch the cover, but the inside of my inspection cover has deep dents and gashes in it... thats the side that was missing the screw and nut ajuster! the cam lobes look a little.. worn, and so do the rocker arms, heres some pics from when i opened it up,
Exhaust side,

Intake side,

Arms,

Cam lobes,

it did run without the ajuster... the ajuster stuck out the bottom more than a 1/4", so i guess thats more than 1/4" less lift on that valve! reason why it idles but wouldent rev. And stupid me, i ran it like this for about 16km. not sure how bad the damamge is on the cam, should i consider replacing?

with the ajuster replaced bike runs great but has a terrible sound on high revvs, my riding buddies think its worn clutch plates, but im not really sure anymore with this thing, with my luck the guy probably forgot a few of those too
L1ability is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #5795
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,633
That cam and rockers are pretty well shot. Once they get in that condition they will continue to wear quicker than they should. The marks on the inspection cover were probably caused by the missing screw and nut. You really need to pull the clutch and magneto covers and see what is happening there. If the missing parts were/are loose somewhere, that could cause damage that would make all kinds of noise.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #5796
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
The Trailwings have earned their bad reputation for sure. Change them out for a decent tire and you will immediately notice the difference.

Exactly. The only way those tires can appear decent is if that's all you've ever used. Its sort of like growing up with a mom that doesn't know how to cook. That 1st time you eat over at a friend's house it's like, "WTH? Why doesn't my food taste and look like charcoal?"
Old 07-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #5797
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,763
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
Exactly. The only way those tires can appear decent is if that's all you've ever used. Its sort of like growing up with a mom that doesn't know how to cook. That 1st time you eat over at a friend's house it's like, "WTH? Why doesn't my food taste and look like charcoal?"
It's funny 'cuz it's true...
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #5798
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,456
Suzuki 2006 DR 200, Wifee wanted more wind protection , chrisbarnes1@yahoo.com makes these carbon fiber screens. So we get one, attach it to the original headlight cowling with 3M super velcro(sp)and tested the screen at almost 70 MPH down off Wolf Creek Pass, all is well FYI, No chickens were injured in this record speed run

The 3M allows the shield to be adjusted up or down.

I will attach some pics, if you have questions fell free to contact me or even Chris Barnes. Wife has comfort zone across chest area and up to her face shield. She is happy.

Gale B.T. screwed with this post 07-06-2012 at 05:31 PM
Gale B.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #5799
MorganSS
Texan

Oddometer: 81
how much does he charge for those?
MorganSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #5800
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganSS View Post
Morgan, I /we got some other carbon fiber stuff so will need to dig out the bill and find out, do not wish to mis quote. You could also hit Chris up with a quick inquiry that may be faster than my search.
sorrry chrisbarnes1@yahoo.com
gale
Old 07-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #5801
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,159
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:00 AM   #5802
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Old 07-07-2012, 02:23 AM   #5803
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Old 07-07-2012, 05:46 AM   #5804
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganSS View Post

Here goes,60 GBP plus about 15 GBP to post to the US--and color is limited of course--either carbon or three or four basic shades.--It will be to the shape that you see on the 200 except what I cut out to fit the turn signal stalks of course.

I will find the link where I first saw the screens and get back to you.

gale
Old 07-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #5805
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale B.T. View Post
Here goes,60 GBP plus about 15 GBP to post to the US--and color is limited of course--either carbon or three or four basic shades.--It will be to the shape that you see on the 200 except what I cut out to fit the turn signal stalks of course.

I will find the link where I first saw the screens and get back to you.

gale
$92.85 USD + $23.21 USD Post? ish? :)