User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #5851
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 466
On rv trip...DR200 died...

Nuts...bike suddenly died on ride. Spark on grounded plug seems ok. Cranks fine, fuze ok, fuel to carb ok...just no catch/start. Started clean carb...does white plastic bushing/washer go on top of main
jet OR under the collar?

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #5852
Lateralus180
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAW3 View Post
Nuts...bike suddenly died on ride. Spark on grounded plug seems ok. Cranks fine, fuze ok, fuel to carb ok...just no catch/start. Started clean carb...does white plastic bushing/washer go on top of main
jet OR under the collar?

I took a photo of the instructions that came with my jetting kit. It should be the same for stock parts.

Lateralus180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #5853
FAW3
Old wanderer

Thanks for that photo....carb cleaned...seems fine but still no start. Tried removing air cleaner and using starting fluid as a test....still nothing. Thinking elect issue....checking harness connections. Bike cranks fine...just no catch/start.

? Would defective coil or ci module allow a spark on at grounded plug? I get spark at grounded plug.

There is only one fuze right?

Old 07-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #5854
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,674
Cool2

Quote:
jet OR under the collar?
Quote:
Thanks for that photo....carb cleaned...seems fine but still no start. Tried removing air cleaner and using starting fluid as a test....still nothing. Thinking elect issue....checking harness connections. Bike cranks fine...just no catch/start. ...so, it's not a kickstand switch or sumpthin'...

? Would defective coil or ci module allow a spark on at grounded plug? I get spark at grounded plug. what color spark ya' got?

There is only one fuze right? yep
You got fuel, air and spark... what was happening when the "bike suddenly died on ride?"
How old was the gas in the tank, and have you changed it out for fresh fuel?
When the bike is cranking over - battery sound like it's dying or is there a fresh charge on it? How long since you last rode it?
When did you last clean the air filter?
You sure the fuze is good? Well, I suppose it must be if it's cranking over, never mind that one.
That's all I got - charge the battery, change the fuel and maybe the sparkplug if it's fouled.
tony the tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:27 AM   #5855
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Thanks for that photo....carb cleaned...seems fine but still no start. Tried removing air cleaner and using starting fluid as a test....still nothing. Thinking elect issue....checking harness connections. Bike cranks fine...just no catch/start.

? Would defective coil or ci module allow a spark on at grounded plug? I get spark at grounded plug.

There is only one fuze right?

If you've got spark then its not electrical - unless your timing jumped (highly unlikely). My money is on fuel - maybe a clogged jet that you missed, issue with the fuel line to the carb, something like that. If you're using the stock petcock put it on prime and make sure you have good flow out of the bottom of the carb if you open the bowl drain. Could also be low compression I guess. Adjust the valves, and while you're at it take note of the resistance you feel when you rotate the engine by hand.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #5856
dalehazelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus180 View Post
I think most of the DR200 owners in the thread have experienced gasoline in the crank case at some point as well.

There is a Yamaha fuel petcock linked on the first or second post in the thread. It was like $13 online and is pretty much a necessity.

EDIT:

Part number
Yamaha 23F-24500-11-00 - FUEL COCK ASSY 1

I used a Briggs and Stratton lawn mower fuel shutoff that that cost about three dollars.
dalehazelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #5857
Cheska
Old but still kickin

Oddometer: 8
Need your expert help

Hi just received my Yamaha fuel petcock 23-2450-11. My current Suzuki one has 2 hoses off it. Looking at bike from
side where petcock is one hose goes to bottom of left side of carburator. The other comes off the back of the petcock
and goes to the other side of the carburator. I am assuming that one gets sealed off as the new petcock only has one
outlet for the fuel. I'm old and slow so any help is appreciated. Plus I did try a search for pictures or explanation but
was unable to find anything. Thanks in advance for any help for this old guy. Bob
Cheska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #5858
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheska View Post
Hi just received my Yamaha fuel petcock 23-2450-11. My current Suzuki one has 2 hoses off it. Looking at bike from
side where petcock is one hose goes to bottom of left side of carburator. The other comes off the back of the petcock
and goes to the other side of the carburator. I am assuming that one gets sealed off as the new petcock only has one
outlet for the fuel. I'm old and slow so any help is appreciated. Plus I did try a search for pictures or explanation but
was unable to find anything. Thanks in advance for any help for this old guy. Bob

Your thinking is correct.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #5859
Cheska
Old but still kickin

Oddometer: 8
Thanks Klay

Thankyou Klay tommorrow I will install new petcock. Thanks again Bob
Cheska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:26 AM   #5860
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
I think most folks cap off the vacuum port at the carb, thats the extra hose. Caps can be purchased at AutoZone, etc.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #5861
Lateralus180
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanoe View Post
I think most folks cap off the vacuum port at the carb, thats the extra hose. Caps can be purchased at AutoZone, etc.

I shoved a golf ball tee in one of the hoses to cap it off. The tee has a taper near the top and it has worked reliably since I installed it.
Lateralus180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #5862
JayGoldstein
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Sunstar Powerdrive 16T front sprocket vs stock

In his write-up about replacing the stock (15T) front sprocket with the Sunstar 16T part (# 32316) BigCanoe mentioned that "...the stock one has a rubber surface on one side" while the Sunstar sprocket doesn't. Does this a difference in construction make a difference? What is the function (if any) of the "rubber surface" on the stock sprocket?

JayGoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #5863
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGoldstein View Post
In his write-up about replacing the stock (15T) front sprocket with the Sunstar 16T part (# 32316) BigCanoe mentioned that "...the stock one has a rubber surface on one side" while the Sunstar sprocket doesn't. Does this a difference in construction make a difference? What is the function (if any) of the "rubber surface" on the stock sprocket?

If I'd have to guess I'd say noise reduction.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:37 AM   #5864
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
It doesn't work. Yamaha put them on the WR250R/X's too and all they do is squeak and get annoying. I sliced them off both the front and rear sprockets and have been happier since .
Old 07-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #5865
FAW3
Old wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
If you've got spark then its not electrical - unless your timing jumped (highly unlikely). My money is on fuel - maybe a clogged jet that you missed, issue with the fuel line to the carb, something like that. If you're using the stock petcock put it on prime and make sure you have good flow out of the bottom of the carb if you open the bowl drain. Could also be low compression I guess. Adjust the valves, and while you're at it take note of the resistance you feel when you rotate the engine by hand.
I cleaned carb again.....success! The DR is running again. We are RV bumper hauling this little gem...now in Ottawa and it makes getting around a blast-a sturdy capable MC.

Thanks to all for advice given...