Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2007, 06:32 PM   #46
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by klxrdr
Anyone running kenda 270s?

I need to get my wife off of those death wings.
After seeing those pics of their outstanding quality I went and checked the rubber on my wifes bike, an 07 with only 150 miles on it and guess what they are weatherchecked, top notch oem quality eh
I've been running K270s. Here's what the rear looks like after 1500 hard miles:

Here's what a new one looks like:

It's almost used up. This trip was about 500 miles gravel and a thousand miles paved at typical speeds of 40-60 mph. But keep in mind I weigh 200 pounds and I had camping gear on back.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:39 PM   #47
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Dr200

If anybody tries to tell you these are of low quality or cheap in any way, they just picked up a load of baloney from the wacky crackpot store. I ran it wide open on the pavement a lot of the time with a heavy load up grades, in bad headwinds etc. It just hummed away like magic for 1500 miles and didn't use a drop of oil. When I let the revs drop to idle after a hard run, it just fell back into its perfect popping idle.

Klay screwed with this post 05-20-2007 at 07:28 PM
Old 05-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #48
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
If anybody tries to tell you these are of low quality or cheap in any way, they just picked up a load of baloney from the wacky crackpot store. I ran it wide open on the pavement a lot of the time with a heavy load up grades, etc. It just hummed away like magic for 1500 miles and didn't use a drop of oil. When I let the revs drop to idle after a hard run, it just fell back into its perfect popping idle.
so, there's a ride report coming, right?

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #49
Klay
dreaming adventurer

6:00 am in Wahpeton, North Dakota:

The Dakotas are very wet this spring. There's water in the ditches everywhere. A waterfowl's paradise. I tried to dodge the ducks but one flew into my left arm while riding at 50 mph. He was stunned but recovered and flew away.

Lake Sakakawea:

The lake was big enough that there was a lake effect...a cold breeze off the lake.

The badlands:

It was 40 degrees with fog and mist on the way back east through North Dakota:

Old 05-20-2007, 07:18 PM   #50
green hell
yawning or snarling

needless dickery
Old 05-20-2007, 07:21 PM   #51
Klay
dreaming adventurer

I'll think about posting a proper ride report at some time in the future, but these are probably the best pictures. I was having camera trouble. More accurately, the SD card got scrambled.

Klay screwed with this post 05-20-2007 at 07:27 PM
Old 05-20-2007, 07:34 PM   #52
green hell
yawning or snarling

Quote:
I'll think about posting a proper ride report at some time in the future, but these are probably the best pictures. I was having camera trouble. More accurately, the SD card got scrambled.
my wife's sd card got hosed (more specifically, i hosed it ) and we sent it to some place that managed to recover all the photos.

i don't remember who it was; we googled around.

i'm quite impressed with the mileage and timing.

nice trip!

needless dickery
Old 05-20-2007, 07:40 PM   #53
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
I had good luck with a thick sheepskin seat cover as mentioned by our aussie friend above. A sheepskin seat cover will make a bad seat okay and a good seat great.

Surprisingly, my butt did okay on the 200 with the sheepskin on the seat from Minnesota to western North Dakota and back.

And another item one might want to consider are good quality cycling shorts. I'll have to try that sheepskin cover. I wonder if the shorts when combined with the cover would improve the comfort further.

Klay, didn't expect you back so soon, you must have been doing 300-400 mile days. What was your longest (mileage) day. Also, what were your average cruise speeds on the surfaced vs graveled roads.

After your experience with the Kendas how do you rate them. Not much left after your trip. Will you refit again or look elsewhere.

Looked like a great trip, thanks for the pics.

Another great ride...
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:46 PM   #54
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oh, and one more thing. This happened during my mini-tour:

10,000 miles on my little thumper.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:05 PM   #55
Tantrum
Condescending Nag

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
10,000 miles on my little thumper.
Congrats! It's cool that you recorded the event. Neat ride pics too.
"Life's odyssey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,shouting,"...holy shit...what a ride!"
Blessed are the flexible, for they will never be bent out of shape
The purpose of fun is to have it
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #56
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
And another item one might want to consider are good quality cycling shorts. I'll have to try that sheepskin cover. I wonder if the shorts when combined with the cover would improve the comfort further.

Klay, didn't expect you back so soon, you must have been doing 300-400 mile days. What was your longest (mileage) day. Also, what were your average cruise speeds on the surfaced vs graveled roads.

After your experience with the Kendas how do you rate them. Not much left after your trip. Will you refit again or look elsewhere.

Looked like a great trip, thanks for the pics.

Another great ride...
I rode a slightly shorter distance than I expected and covered more per day than expected. Hence the early return. I averaged about 280 miles per day. (the first 90 miles on the Kendas happened before I left)

My longest day was Saturday, 361 miles, from Dickinson, ND to Sisseton, SD. I took gravel and secondary roads all the way. It was 40 degrees when I took off. After a period of time I realized I had better stop somewhere and warm up, because my feet and hands were going numb and I realized I was making mental mistakes like thinking the trip meter said 80 after I just looked at it, then looking down again and seeing it was indicating 69. I ran up to a cafe on I94, warmed up and ate, then went southeast again. This was the most memorable day...it just felt like magic with the little thumper humming along flawlessly through the mist and fog amongst the green hills and the weird red and gray erosion formations that crop up here and there.

Some of the gravel was as good as asphalt and I ran 50-55 mph. The worst was like three inches of sand and I didn't want to exceed 20 with my camping stuff on the back.

I really ran into bad luck with the wind the first two days. The first day was straight northwest into a powerful gale. I was only able to cruise at about 40 to 45 mph with 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. I recorded a perfomance achievement of an all time low of (drumroll) 44 miles to the gallon. Good thing the DR has the big tank. Reserve was at about 2.75 gallons.

Then the next day was good as I rode north up the Sheyenne River valley on a run before the wind. This was a lot of twisty gravel, 40-45 mph. Speed limit 25? Nonsense.

After a nice run north, I reluctantly turned west on a beam reach at Carrington. There was a nasty, gusty gale from the south that was blowing the little bike around and she could only manage 40-45 mph with 2/3 or so throttle. This was very fatiguing. I called it a day in McCluskey.

I know better than this; I should have just gone wherever the wind wanted to blow me. I should have let the wind blow me up to Moose Mountain, where I've always wanted to go exploring more. Another lesson re-learned.

I picked out roads that were so desolate that I never had a hard time with too many cars coming up behind me and trying to pass. I saw very few motorcyclists.

The rear Kenda is almost used up, but I like the grip and low, low, price so much that I will get another. The front tire sustained virtually unmeasurable wear.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:25 PM   #57
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum
Congrats! It's cool that you recorded the event. Neat ride pics too.
tnx
Old 05-20-2007, 11:08 PM   #58
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python423
heres some pics of my wife on her 2000 DR200
Great pictures, Python!
Old 05-20-2007, 11:27 PM   #59
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove
I'm thinking of getting a DR200.With gas prises at $3.40 + here in the Pacific Northwest, I'd like a smaller bike I could commute with and use for trail riding too. I'm about 5'10" or 11" tall and about 172 pounds-anyone my size riding one of these? I like the simplicity (air cooling,easily adjusted valves with screw type adjusters,large tank for a 200cc,long track record of reliability etc.). Are you owners really getting close to 100mpg?? If you are, I'm going in this weekend....

Jon
I've never gotten close to 100 mpg. But I can see how if I was really careful, I could pull that off. Usually I ride the 200 with abandon around town and on trails and it turns in 70 to 80 miles to the gallon. If I add in highway and freeway speeds for short bursts the mileage can dip to the 60's.

Flogging it down the endless road out west against a head wind can really drive the mileage down. Reminds me of my DR650 in that respect.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:07 AM   #60
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
We had a rider on a DR-200 in yesterday's 3rd Annual Massachusetts Dualsport ride. I don't know if she did any of the Hero Sections, but then a lot of the 1200 GS bikes didn't either. It is ironic or sumthin' to see the 200 and the 1200s riding the same event.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote