Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #6061
Tiellswheels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Have been curious on what Suzuki will be bringing out for 2013 and just visited their web site. Maybe this is old news, but the site shows the DR 200 is back. But no fuel injection....
"76 R90/6 (sold)
Tiellswheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #6062
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiellswheels View Post
Have been curious on what Suzuki will be bringing out for 2013 and just visited their web site. Maybe this is old news, but the site shows the DR 200 is back. But no fuel injection....
Thanks for the tip!

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #6063
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
It's white and it's $4199!
Old 09-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #6064
Pauls2ndblessing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
wait.. what?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiellswheels View Post
Interesting fact on the site: "Weighing in at just 278 pounds and with a seat height of 32 inches" I know they probably rounded the seat height up from 31.5 but whats with the additional 30lbs???

Curious I am

**EDIT** Sorry I apologize, I just saw that the 2012 weighed in at 278 also, so what changed to bring them up to 278lbs from my 2007 at 249lbs?

Pauls2ndblessing screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 01:13 PM
Pauls2ndblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #6065
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls2ndblessing View Post
Interesting fact on the site: "Weighing in at just 278 pounds and with a seat height of 32 inches" I know they probably rounded the seat height up from 31.5 but whats with the additional 30lbs???

Curious I am

**EDIT** Sorry I apologize, I just saw that the 2012 weighed in at 278 also, so what changed to bring them up to 278lbs from my 2007 at 249lbs?
Most manufacturers changed their policies recently to list a more realistic weight, or so I heard somewhere.

windigo
Old 09-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #6066
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Most manufacturers changed their policies recently to list a more realistic weight, or so I heard somewhere.
Supposedly that is wet, ready to ride full of fluids and fuel, versus dry weight.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #6067
Pauls2ndblessing
Adventurer

Shinko 244's

Well I got some new rubbers on the bike, Shinko 244's. My first ride I was a little worried as they seemed hard and felt like they didn't grip much, this was after picking them up from the local shop. Got home, checked the pressure, it was set to 30psi on front and rear... a bit to high for this little bike. Lowered it to 22 in front and 25 in back and everything felt right at home :)

Felt great on the roads and dirt. Soft sand seemed a little "slick" but I don't ride deep soft sand a lot but I still may drop the back psi to 22 and 20 on front when I'm on the rock, dirt, and soft sand roads.

Overall I've very happy with them!

Next on the list: Kientech complete system, hoping that's only 2-3 weeks away :)
Old 09-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #6068
Pauls2ndblessing
Adventurer

Question about performance increases

Has anyone tried to up the compression on the dr200se, or any other engine performance mods besides the normal, jet, airbox, exhaust?

Also is there any way to increase the performance of the front forks, rear shock?

The reason I ask is that I'm absolutely in love with this bike and my missus is about to take it over. I've found a few others for great prices in the area and I want to have a bike that can handle my 50mile (highway 55-60mph) commute to work but keeping the weight down.

I know I can do a drz400s but man.. if I can get this thing just a little more umph in the engine and suspension, I could buy a second and use it to traverse.

Any advice?
Old 09-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #6069
Klay
dreaming adventurer

It would probably make more sense to get a different bike if you absolutely need more performance. There just isn't much more you can economically squeeze out of 200cc's.

windigo
Old 09-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #6070
Pauls2ndblessing
Adventurer

Cry bummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
It would probably make more sense to get a different bike if you absolutely need more performance. There just isn't much more you can economically squeeze out of 200cc's.
I was hoping you wouldn't say that but I thought that would be the answer. I just don't know if the dr200se will be what I need even after the kientech solutions.

I'm worried I'll damage her driving 50+ miles round trip at 55-60mph every day.

I guess a drz400s is in my future.

Thanks as always Klay!
Old 09-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #6071
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Has anyone tried to up the compression on the dr200se, or any other engine performance mods besides the normal, jet, airbox, exhaust?

Also is there any way to increase the performance of the front forks, rear shock?

The reason I ask is that I'm absolutely in love with this bike and my missus is about to take it over. I've found a few others for great prices in the area and I want to have a bike that can handle my 50mile (highway 55-60mph) commute to work but keeping the weight down.

I know I can do a drz400s but man.. if I can get this thing just a little more umph in the engine and suspension, I could buy a second and use it to traverse.

Any advice?
see post #210
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...229927&page=14

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #6072
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
I was hoping you wouldn't say that but I thought that would be the answer. I just don't know if the dr200se will be what I need even after the kientech solutions.

I guess a drz400s is in my future.

Thanks as always Klay!
You don't need to worry about damaging the bike. it will be OK as long as you give it proper maintenance, On the other hand, riding a DR200 50+ miles at 55-60 is not the most comfortable thing, either.

If you want a bigger bike, I would recommend that you check out the DR650 rather than a DRZ400, unless a lot of off road is on your agenda. It is more like a grown up 200, only drawback is seat height (lower than a DRZ, btw) and weight.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #6073
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRide13 View Post
Hey gang,
I tried to search this on my own, but the stuff I found was talking about the use of multiple electrical components. Can someone tell me what to expect if I hook up just an electric jacket to a stock 2000 DR200?
Many thanks,
Pete
My wife runs her heated vest on her DR200, a LOT. Works fine if you remember to turn off the vest 15-20 minutes BEFORE you turn the bike off. Only time she killed her battery was on a 4 day dual sport ride with lots of slower sections and she had her vest running the whole time. Last coffee stop on the last day her bike wouldn't fire up, but the little 200 is easy to bump start,

bross screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 09:28 AM
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #6074
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,945
Quote:
you won't hurt her.

ride it like rossi.

like andy said, not the most comfortable, but imminently doable. i was commuting about 60 miles round trip on mine for a while. i had three routes to choose from, and all highway was one. normally take one route to work, and another home.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #6075
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
If you want a bigger bike, I would recommend that you check out the DR650 rather than a DRZ400, unless a lot of off road is on your agenda. It is more like a grown up 200, only drawback is seat height (lower than a DRZ, btw) and weight.

I agree that the DRZ400 is a poor choice for what it sounds like you want to do. The DRZ is a true compromise bike - able to go on the road or off, but not doing either very well. Unfortunately no bike is going to be great off road and great on road, your best bet if you want to dual sport is to find a good dual sport that is excellent off road and can do okay on road. Pair that with a good road bike (or can even get a more road-oriented dual sport). Closest bike I've seen to a true 50/50 dual sport is the XR650R.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote