Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #6151
nx&ace
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Happy Trails side racks

"SOLD" Off to a new home

Good morning DR200 fans. I have a set of Happy Trails SU side racks off my 2008 DR200. They are just sitting collecting dust. If anyone is interested, let know. Left, right, and rear cross-over bar. Four mounting bolts are missing. Excellent condition, no damage. $125 shipped USPS lower 48 only. These list for $279. PM or email me and I can send pictures.

nx&ace screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 05:15 AM
nx&ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #6152
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
Kientech jet kit reliably fixes the cold start issue. Plenty of pages to confirm that.

To the OP, I'm not surprised that the pipe didn't make much of a difference. Except for extreme cases, a pipe is usually only good for a 10-15% HP increase on a 4-stroke engine, so you're really only likely to gain 1 or 2 HP at best.
Ok, so its not just the screw, its the total package, including air box mod.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #6153
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Probably 90% is the screw. You also get a needle which makes the throttle response a bit smoother IMO. Put it this way, it's expensive for a jet kit, but very cheap for the benefits gained. My bike runs at least 10x better since I installed it.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #6154
DirtJimmy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I have the adjustable mixture screw installed on my DR200. Will shimming the needle by .015 or .020" improve performance at all? I shimmed the needle on my stock DR650 carb (along with adj mixture screw and removed snorkel) and the bike runs much better.
DirtJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #6155
rv-rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Fuel injection?
GOTCHA!
Old 11-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #6156
burnt09
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Pipe trade anyone?

If there is anyone in the Puget Sound area that would like a nearly brand new FMF Q4 pipe/muffler for their DR200, I would trade it for a stock muffler, provided it is in excellent condition and has the associated clamp and hardware. I am probably not interested in doing any through-the-mail deals. I would have to see the stock pieces first. If interested, post here and we'll set something up.
burnt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #6157
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJimmy View Post
I have the adjustable mixture screw installed on my DR200. Will shimming the needle by .015 or .020" improve performance at all? I shimmed the needle on my stock DR650 carb (along with adj mixture screw and removed snorkel) and the bike runs much better.

shimming will work on any carb since most come epa lean. sometimes mpg goes down slightly, stays the same or goes slightly up. it all depends on what the engine wants for the area u ride in, this was told to me by Marc the owner of Factorypro. he always stresses, its what that particular engine/bike combo wants.

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #6158
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

I wrote Jesse today to ask about removing the airbox lid in conjunction with the jet kit:

"We went through all of this in designing the new jet kit with the performance needle. The lid off is the only way to make it work properly. Your air filter does what it is supposed to do as far as keeping foreign matter out of the engine lid or no lid. Small holes only cause turbulence and less needed air flow that is needed to balance the air / fuel ratio. We have sold hundreds of these jet kits and have no reports of any problems with the lid off.
Jesse"
Old 11-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #6159
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanoe View Post
Your air filter does what it is supposed to do as far as keeping foreign matter out of the engine lid or no lid.

We have sold hundreds of these jet kits and have no reports of any problems with the lid off.
Does no one ride these bikes in a downpour or ford a water XCing exuberantly? Seems like that might be the real issue with an open airbox...

Dorito screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 04:58 PM
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #6160
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
I wrote Jesse today to ask about removing the airbox lid in conjunction with the jet kit:

"We went through all of this in designing the new jet kit with the performance needle. The lid off is the only way to make it work properly. Your air filter does what it is supposed to do as far as keeping foreign matter out of the engine lid or no lid. Small holes only cause turbulence and less needed air flow that is needed to balance the air / fuel ratio. We have sold hundreds of these jet kits and have no reports of any problems with the lid off.
Jesse"

the factory holes cause turbulence? like the engineers don't do any design work. there is a reason for the # and size of the holes used by the Suzuki engineers its called air box tunning. In fact all 3 holes provide more open area than the carb opening.
where are his dyno result graphs to prove this? not on his site. not saying his kit doesn't work, its just not needed in my opinion unless and aftermarket pipe and can are used.

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #6161
Caleb G
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Newcomer - hi

Hi all. I've had a DR200 for a couple months now. Got it to scratch an itch I had to ride in the dirt again. I've actually read all 411 pages of this thread (finally) and thought I'd check in to say hello.

What I've done so far (preface: all I care about is riding as hard as I can in the dirt, btw):
  • Kientech jet kit
  • Kientech pipe mod, also have an FMF 2 stroke pipe that came with the bike that actually works well after repacking it, believe it or not. Currently am running the FMF pipe for weight considerations. (and yes, I know this sounds insane!)
  • Took as much as I can off the bike for weight reasons - mirrors off (replaced with one small fold-away acerbis mirror that is good for legal reasons and not much else), smaller blinkers, passenger pegs off, etc. Also, I pretty much ride to the same place everytime (the Prairie City Motocross practice track in Folsom, CA) - so I've figured out how much gas I need and only add that amount to the bike when I leave. With the 1.5 gallons I don't add, save a lot of weight there too (about 10-11lbs).
  • Rotated shifter up for boot clearance reasons, pulled rubber grommet off it for clearance reasons. Dremeled away part of the sprocket cover in order to give the shifter the clearance it needs.
  • 3m protective film on the tank and some of the side plastic. My knee guards and boots are heck on those items.
  • Installed BBR springs from the CRF150F, and generally have fiddled with the suspension as much as I can. It's helped a lot so far.
  • Added rim locks front and rear, also heavy duty tubes. Balanced the wheels as well.
  • Running dirt-oriented Kenda K760's on front and rear at 12-14psi in the dirt. (I fill the tires to 20+ psi when I ride to the track, let the air out at the track and then re-pump them up with a little 8" hand pump I carry in my small tool pack)
  • Raised the forks 3mm in the triple clamps, may go up to 5mm soon.
  • Added 30cc of 10wt (stock) oil to forks. May add a little more, but not much because worried about being close to max.

All-in-all am having more fun than I counted on with this bike. It's a bit of a sled just by the nature of what it is (e.g., a dual sport that has some poundage on all-out dirt bikes/MXers), but it's actually quite capable of ripping around if tweaked with a little bit and ridden correctly.
Caleb G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #6162
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailrider200 View Post
the factory holes cause turbulence? like the engineers don't do any design work. there is a reason for the # and size of the holes used by the Suzuki engineers its called air box tunning. In fact all 3 holes provide more open area than the carb opening.
where are his dyno result graphs to prove this? not on his site. not saying his kit doesn't work, its just not needed in my opinion unless and aftermarket pipe and can are used.
Sorry, I should have posted my question too. I asked if I could cut holes in the lid instead of completely removing it.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:31 AM   #6163
Pauls2ndblessing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb G View Post
Hi all. I've had a DR200 for a couple months now. Got it to scratch an itch I had to ride in the dirt again. I've actually read all 411 pages of this thread (finally) and thought I'd check in to say hello.

What I've done so far (preface: all I care about is riding as hard as I can in the dirt, btw):
  • Kientech jet kit
  • Kientech pipe mod, also have an FMF 2 stroke pipe that came with the bike that actually works well after repacking it, believe it or not. Currently am running the FMF pipe for weight considerations. (and yes, I know this sounds insane!)
  • Took as much as I can off the bike for weight reasons - mirrors off (replaced with one small fold-away acerbis mirror that is good for legal reasons and not much else), smaller blinkers, passenger pegs off, etc. Also, I pretty much ride to the same place everytime (the Prairie City Motocross practice track in Folsom, CA) - so I've figured out how much gas I need and only add that amount to the bike when I leave. With the 1.5 gallons I don't add, save a lot of weight there too (about 10-11lbs).
  • Rotated shifter up for boot clearance reasons, pulled rubber grommet off it for clearance reasons. Dremeled away part of the sprocket cover in order to give the shifter the clearance it needs.
  • 3m protective film on the tank and some of the side plastic. My knee guards and boots are heck on those items.
  • Installed BBR springs from the CRF150F, and generally have fiddled with the suspension as much as I can. It's helped a lot so far.
  • Added rim locks front and rear, also heavy duty tubes. Balanced the wheels as well.
  • Running dirt-oriented Kenda K760's on front and rear at 12-14psi in the dirt. (I fill the tires to 20+ psi when I ride to the track, let the air out at the track and then re-pump them up with a little 8" hand pump I carry in my small tool pack)
  • Raised the forks 3mm in the triple clamps, may go up to 5mm soon.
  • Added 30cc of 10wt (stock) oil to forks. May add a little more, but not much because worried about being close to max.

All-in-all am having more fun than I counted on with this bike. It's a bit of a sled just by the nature of what it is (e.g., a dual sport that has some poundage on all-out dirt bikes/MXers), but it's actually quite capable of ripping around if tweaked with a little bit and ridden correctly.
Sounds like you have a sweet little setup man! Got some pics of that beaut?
Pauls2ndblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #6164
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Sorry, I should have posted my question too. I asked if I could cut holes in the lid instead of completely removing it.

Klay did just that b/c he found the noise from no airbox lid to be annoying.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #6165
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,743
Jesse had an original setup that called for a two inch hole in the airbox lid. The bike worked great with that setup. Then he tweaked the setup with different jets and the lid off completely. I went to the new setup and didn't like the intake noise. So I put the lid with the two inch hole back on and kept the latest jets. It runs perfectly and I've left it that way.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote