Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #6226
pozo
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGoldstein View Post
My research indicates that there is quite a variety of tires in sizes that will fit the DR200. Shinko advertises the 244 as 70/30 on/off road (and the 700 as 80/20). The 244 would be quite suitable for my type of riding.
From shinkotiresusa.com: the 244 is 50/50, the 700 is 60/40, and the 705 is 80/20, on-road/off-road respectively. (Several online retailers had these numbers different.) Who knows what the ratios actually mean... Perhaps it's all just marketing fluff, but at least one can get a sense of how agressive these are by looking at the tire treads. The 705s are clearly the smoothest, followed by the 700s, followed by the 244s --for whatever *that's* worth...

Regardless, I'm pretty pleased with the 244s, and you might be too...

Happy riding.
pozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #6227
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,808
The DR200 is a great little dual sport, but there is no aftermarket support for it. I have an XT225, and have modified it with a 4 gallon Clarke tank, Immix Racing rack, kickstarter, centerstand, Progressive front springs and a Works Performance rear shock. These mods have turned it into a near perfect trail bike, even for my 220 pounds. I can't seem to find any of these things for the little DR. It would be nice is Suzuki made a DR250 with more power and better suspension to compete with the CRF250L and XT250. I left the KLX250 and WR250 out, as those are more hardcore dirtbikes. If I were going to spend the $$$ for one of those, I would get the DRZ400S
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:02 AM   #6228
I'm Trying
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
My dr200se had 3000 miles on it when I bought it. It had been stolen and recovered and sat in storage for 4 years. Once I got it cleaned up and running it would run but wouldn't idle. Ended up being a chipped intake valve and eroded valve seat.

I priced out a new dr200 head and cam and used ones on ebay. They ranged from a 799 to 1000. But I found a ported polished 86 lt230s head with stainless steel valves and and a stage 2 WB cam. For a 100 dollars shipped. I've put 4000 miles on it.

I have a kientech kit and exhaust on the bike and to get this setup running reliably I had to switch back to the stock needle and up the main jet to a 142.5. It gets 64 mpg. Unfortunately it has a flat spot in the power band from 5000-6500. It pulls strong below and above. That equals 50 to 60 mph. I have to use more throttle to ride 55 than 65.

This is why I was looking for a 43 tooth sprocket I'd like to move the flat spot away from my 55mph cruising speed.

Also has anyone had a valve seat area welded and reground. I would like to get the dr head back on the bike. Since it has a 1 mm bigger exhaust valve and the intake exhaust ports better match what's on the bike.
I'm Trying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #6229
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Trying View Post
Also has anyone had a valve seat area welded and reground. I would like to get the dr head back on the bike. Since it has a 1 mm bigger exhaust valve and the intake exhaust ports better match what's on the bike.
I never did this on a DR200, but when I was working as an auto machinist, it was routine to install new valve seats in aluminum heads. Just pull or cut out the old one and drive a new one in place, machine the seat, lap the valve and you're done. If the damaged area is beyond the existing seat, seats are available in many different sizes, or you can have it welded and re-cut prior to installing the new seat.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #6230
FlownOver
Old and slow man

Oddometer: 5
Clutch Cable

As I pulled up in front of my hangar to put the DR200 away for the winter, the clutch cable broke (right at the lever). Lucky timing, but I need to get a replacement. Any suggestions for suppliers? By the way, checking the alignment at the lever, there appears to be some offset. I'm planning on fiddling with things so the next cable lasts longer.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #6231
jamoka3
Veritas Aequitas

Oddometer: 25
2005 Suzuki Dr 200SE, it wont start with the starter button? need help!

I have a 2005 Suzuki Dr 200SE, it wont start with the starter button!

If I remove the seat and jump the starter solenoid it will crank over and start just fine(Bike in Neutral. ign. key is on / power is on)

With the bike in Neutral and the ignition key to On it wont start with the main starter button (yellow)...

Now if i jump the bike with the starter solenoid i can still turn it off by the start/ stop kill switch, so does that mean its working properly?...Any ideas?

Is the starter button bad? how can i test this?

Please any info will be great.

Thanks.
jamoka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #6232
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,236
Are you pulling the clutch lever in, too? There's an interlock switch there, too.

It's very common that either the clutch lever switch or the sidestand switch is bad and so the starter button is disabled.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #6233
jamoka3
Veritas Aequitas

yes im pulling in the clutch, is there a way to bypass / test the clutch switch and kick stand switch?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #6234
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoka3 View Post
yes im pulling in the clutch, is there a way to bypass / test the clutch switch and kick stand switch?
You could put a jumper wire in to bypass the switches. The starter switch could be dirty, too. You could take it apart and check it. Don't lose the little spring that flies out if you take it apart.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #6235
jamoka3
Veritas Aequitas

the side stand switch is obvious, so stupid question i guess,
but were is the clutch safety switch located at?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #6236
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
the side stand switch is obvious, so stupid question i guess,
but were is the clutch safety switch located at?
There's a slot in the underside of the clutch lever near the pivot point that the switch fits into. If I remember right (the bike's at home) there are two screws that hold the switch up in position underneath the lever.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #6237
jamoka3
Veritas Aequitas

so do you just un-screw it from the clutch lever and jump it out right there?
you can pm me if you like so we don't fill up the forum,
Old 12-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #6238
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
so do you just un-screw it from the clutch lever and jump it out right there?
you can pm me if you like so we don't fill up the forum,
Yes, you can. I understand you can just plug the wires together behind the headlight, too. The switch parts are 24, 25, and 26 here:

http://www.bikebandit.com/2001-suzuk...5826#sch239702
Old 12-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #6239
jamoka3
Veritas Aequitas

i took the switch off the clutch lever and jumped it out right there with some alligator clips, and the bike started right up.
Can i leave it jumped for now (or forever) or will it mess something up?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #6240
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
i took the switch off the clutch lever and jumped it out right there with some alligator clips, and the bike started right up.
Can i leave it jumped for now (or forever) or will it mess something up?
Success!

Lots of people leave it that way, but it's a little cleaner to jump it behind the headlight. Are you sure you couldn't clean it and put it back together?