Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #6331
jeffcneal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Hell, I ride with my mirrors like that all the time. Cuts down on that pesky A.M. glare on my westerly commute !

regards,
Jeff
jeffcneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #6332
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcneal View Post
Hell, I ride with my mirrors like that all the time. Cuts down on that pesky A.M. glare on my westerly commute !

regards,
Jeff
...also deflects lasers!
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #6333
jeffcneal
Adventurer

Right on tony! And a damn sight cheaper than even an economy deflector shield !

regards,
Jeff
Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #6334
MotoTrout
MotoTrout

Oddometer: 1
New Rider - First Dual Sport

Hello all, long time lurker, first time posting. Summer of 2012 my girlfriend convinced me to get off my butt and finally take those riding classes I always wanted. We started off with a dirt riding class and learned a lot. With dual sporting in mind, we figured we could use a bit more practice as well as taking a safety course so that we could increase our chances of survival out there. We both thoroughly enjoyed the MSF class and I think we did pretty well - U-turn box was successful!

My first bike was a TTR-125 but quickly I realized that I should have just jumped to the dual sport bike from the start. Oh well, you can never have too many bikes in the garage. I was considering the TW200, CRF230L and reluctantly went to the DR200 as it was around at the right time and for the right price...glad I went for it as I enjoy this bike a lot. Here is the DR200 on its first adventure along the Eastern Sierras (Lone Pine area) and it did quite well. Not pictured is my girlfriend who rides a 1974 XL175 - she and that bike did well too!!! Learning a lot about wrenching on that XL, and having a bit of fun doing it. I will try to update on future adventures and will probably jump on the XL forum too. More to come.....

Oh and by the way, I got the bike from another member on this site. I think someone else recently inquired on the bike's availability within the past month or so.

MotoTrout screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 11:24 PM Reason: photo edit
MotoTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #6335
jeffcneal
Adventurer

MotoTrout:

Welcome to the wonderful world of capable, fun, pretense free dual-sport [..."enduros" to those of us pushing 50...] motorcycles. Looks like some great riding area and your girlfriend's a hell of a photographer!

regards,
Jeff
Old 01-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #6336
Kleio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17

Hello. Last month I purchased a used 2009 DR200SE with only 21 miles on it.

I used to ride a Bridgestone 90cc bike when I was in high school in the early '70s. I'm now 57 and I wanted to ride again before it got too late.

I've been getting used to riding again around the hills southwest and west of Cupertino and Saratoga California.
Once I get my confidence up I plan to go to Metcalf Motorcycle Park in south San Jose, CA.

Kleio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #6337
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,628
^^impressive^^

Congrat's!
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #6338
jeffcneal
Adventurer

Kleio:

Don't you just love finding a smoking great deal on a fantastic bike!?

regards,
Jeff
Old 01-16-2013, 05:21 AM   #6339
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 526
Im selling a richochet skid plate in the flea market for the dr200 if anyone is interested.
Buell Ulysses Xb12X
Custom Leather Work-Made In England www.lordofleather.com
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #6340
JayGoldstein
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleio View Post
Hello. Last month I purchased a used 2009 DR200SE with only 21 miles on it..
Clean looking machine. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine (an unsold 09 I bought last April). I put about 2,900 km (1,775 mi) on mine last riding season.

One question for those who have bought a new or nearly new DR200SE: is there a particular point (X number of km/mi) at which the engine is fully broken-in? I recall reading some posts in a Suzuki TU250 forum in which owners claimed (if I remember correctly) that after about 10,000 km (6,200 mi) their engine ran noticeably smoother. Anyone had a similar experience with their DR?

JayGoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #6341
Kleio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Kleio:

Don't you just love finding a smoking great deal on a fantastic bike!?

regards,
Jeff
I found it at a dealership in Fremont, CA. They told me that the previous owner had traded it in along with a Yamaha scooter for a Royal Enfield. I negotiated a bit and I got a base price of $3098.09 and an "out the door" price of $3560.00.

The scooter is still at Fremont Kawasaki Honda and it has only seven miles on it. I'm sure they'll give you a good deal on it like they gave me.

I have no idea why the previous owner hardly rode the DR200SE or the scooter, but I'm happy with what I got.
Kleio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #6342
jeffcneal
Adventurer

Kleio:

I'm curious as how a man goes from a brand new Yamaha scooter and Suzuki DR200 to a Royal Enfield ?. But I can understand the appeal after sitting on 1 at my local dealers a while back. The feeling is like a baritone voice claiming "This is a MOTORCYCLE...".

But it's really great that you got such a good deal on a beautiful ride. Here's a sincere "Welcome Back" to the world on 2 wheels!

regards,
Jeff
Old 01-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #6343
Oddfellow
Beasty Rider

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
Im selling a richochet skid plate in the flea market for the dr200 if anyone is interested.
PM sent

2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
'02 BMW R1150 GS Adventure FOR SALE
'05 Honda XR650R (on the block next)
Oddfellow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #6344
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,405
Quote:
Kleio:

I'm curious as how a man goes from a brand new Yamaha scooter and Suzuki DR200 to a Royal Enfield ?. But I can understand the appeal after sitting on 1 at my local dealers a while back. The feeling is like a baritone voice claiming "This is a MOTORCYCLE...".

But it's really great that you got such a good deal on a beautiful ride. Here's a sincere "Welcome Back" to the world on 2 wheels!

regards,
Jeff
I am that type. It's called "impulse buying" It's how I managed to buy 46 motorcycles/scooters in the past 35 years. I have a nearly new 2012 Zuma 125 with under 500 miles on it that I bought new a few months ago, and am seriously considering trading it for either a new DR200 or a TW200. The TW has certain advantages, but I have no idea how you would fix a flat on it out in the middle of nowhere. So the DR is actually more appealing. I am looking for a small bike, just big enough to be freeway legal when necessary, but don't plan on doing much freeway riding. I rode the Zuma on the freeway for 11 miles (out of necessity) and was terrified about getting busted by the cops.

The thing is, I am a big guy at 240 pounds with gear, and don't know if the DR200 can handle that, along with another 30 or so pounds of stuff. The load capacity of the Zuma is almost 350 pounds, but I can't find the load capacity of the DR anywhere. I also ride an older XT225, and fit on it just fine, but don't trust it for trips of 1000 miles or more due to it's age and condition.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:21 AM   #6345
jeffcneal
Adventurer

Laugh

JerryH:

I fully understand a love for smaller bikes and impulse buying when it comes to motorcycles! I would opt for the DR over the TW if it were me simply for the little bit of additional seat height. I'm 5'9" and back up to 155lbs. post chemo. I'm guessing you're a shade taller than me. I know you did'nt ask for advice, but have you checked out the new Honda CRF 250L? I know it's not "apples to apples", but it's not that far off base either. And it's even close in price. That said, here's hoping you find the ride that makes YOU happy! For me it's the DR.

regards,
Jeff