Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #6406
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
$1900 is a little steep for such an old bike...the book value of my 2001 model is only $1000. But dual sport bikes can sell far above book value if they're in very good condition with low miles. They're good right out of the box, but if you intend to make a lot of short trips, or if you plan on running the bike in cool weather, it's very helpful to re-jet the carb so it isn't so cold-blooded.

It's hard to beat the simplicity and functionality of a DR200.
And they havent changed much if at all. I think $1800 would be fair if its in really good shape and running smooth.

I would do the carb before anything else, and that involves cutting a hole in the air box as well. I did that to mine and it made the biggest difference to drive ability.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #6407
Solas5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Awesome, Thanks guys. I am sure I will be needing a lot of help in the future if I do end up pulling the trigger tomorrow on the bike. It looks fantastic but pictures often differ from reality. Also, I misspoke about mileage. It only has 2,200 miles on it. So that is a plus. I am really looking forward to seeing and riding it.
Solas5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #6408
Goon310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I paid $1500 for my '01.
4K miles on it.
It's not perfect, but I could have done a lot worse - and I don't feel like I made a bad decision.
I could have bought a brand new bike and spent much more, I'm happy with it and will get a ton of use out of this thing, it's fun!
It runs fantastic, and definitely has enough power for around town I figured out today.

If you like it, get it.

They're cold blooded... mine took what felt like 5 minutes of running with the choke to get it to not die as soon as I let in the choke today.
But once I got it going, it was smooth sailing.
Goon310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #6409
Charliedog43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
DR200 1st mod

The best thing I've done to my 2003 DR200 that I got last year ($1500, 728 miles, but scratched & dented tank) is a 16T countershaft sprocket. It's so much more versatile on pavement, so unless you're planning to do some hill climbing-or stump pulling-that would be the first change to make. Usually on eBay for about $20. Just my $.02.

Larry aka CharlieDog
Bristol, TN
Charliedog43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #6410
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Yep, that's another good mod, and a good bit easier too. On mine I have done the sprocket, installed larger foot pegs, rejetted, added a fuel mixture screw, replaced the handle bars, and added hand guards. Its still too small for me, but at least its fun :)
Old 02-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #6411
T680277
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Pirelli MT90 Scorpion A/T

hello there i am new to the dual sport i have a 05 dr200se and i am looking at getting Pirelli MT90 Scorpion A/T tires what front tire will be good a 2.75, 80/90, or 90/90 and for the rear 4.10 or a 110/80 will these tire fit the bike. if these tires wont fit what are some good tires out there that are a smooth ride on the road i will be doing lite trails. thank you.

colin
T680277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #6412
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,343
Tires

Take a look in here.
Tire compendium
Old 02-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #6413
Solas5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Ended up getting the bike for $1650. Overall I'm pretty pleased with it. Rides pretty solid and in great shape. Only missing a mirror. So I plan on getting new ones. Anyone know a good type with good view as well as some hand guards? And where to purchase them?
Solas5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #6414
DisTech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solas5 View Post
Ended up getting the bike for $1650. Overall I'm pretty pleased with it. Rides pretty solid and in great shape. Only missing a mirror. So I plan on getting new ones. Anyone know a good type with good view as well as some hand guards? And where to purchase them?
Haven't tried them yet, but they are on my list. Neduro's Double Take Mirrors, http://www.doubletakemirror.com/.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #6415
jeffcneal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solas5 View Post

Go to www.rockymountainatv/mc.com and find some fold-away mirrors and a handguard kit. I would'nt be afraid of their "Tusk" housebrand items either. All of the private label items I've ever purchased from them performed at least as well as a big name counterpart.

regards,
Jeff
jeffcneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #6416
Joelness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Doubletakes are the bees knees, but a little pricey. I honestly have had excellent luck with the visibility and durability of the stockers. If you don't keep 'em too tight they fold out of the way when hit with branches at 25 and so far haven't broken. Bark busters are mostly created equal. My vote is something with plastic hand guards to cut the wind. My vote is to mount them buy drilling and tapping the stock bar end weights if not going with new bars. My .02 on the counter shaft sprocket is to wait and see how you like the stock gearing. I personally have found it to be a little high for anything off the pavement. I have about 10k mixed miles on mine with the stock gearing and think it's a good compromise most of the time. You have about a million dealers near you, but if not going with them my vote is Rocky Mountain. They've always given me the best customer service and faster free delivery on the west coast. Their prices are usually very competitive too. Good luck with your new machine. I love mine and ride it every day it's not snowing or frozen; or work doesn't require the truck.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #6417
Sateev
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
I second that thanks! My clutch engages way too close to being completely let out also. I'll take a look for the middle adjustment tomorrow. I just installed a set of 1" Tusk handlebar risers today but i didn't ride. I'm hoping that this will get the airflow just over the top of my head with my Spitfire S-06 windshield. In stock configuration it was catching my visor. Annoying & was deep freezing my dome with the temps here in SE Oregon still in the 20's.
The middle adjustment in the cable is nothing magical. It just exists to allow you to compensate for a stretched cable, and dial in the right amount of free play to allow you to use the top (lever) adjustment. The proper adjustment is the same whether or not you achieve it at the lever or in the cable: approx 10-15mm of free movement at the end of the lever before the clutch starts to disengage.

The only other possibility is that the lever on top of the trans is not positioned correctly (removed, and placed on the shaft on the wrong tooth. If you follow Klay's directions about riding slow in top gear, then opening the throttle, and you find it slips, it's clutch-replacement time. Be sure you use MOTORCYCLE oil (without friction modifiers found in automotive oils) when you refill the case.
Sateev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #6418
I'm Trying
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Need to get valve seat ground. Shop recommendation

Anyone have any recommendations of a shop to cut new valve seats in a dr200 head. I probably want new valves and springs as well as a little port work. Ideally i am looking for a shop in West Virginia, Virginia, or Southern Pennsylvania. My local dealerships all send this work out.

What angles are the seats cut? I had read dr650s have a special valve seat angle grind. Anyone have any experience with custom valves, porting, or springs?

Thanks for the help.
I'm Trying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #6419
AleXtz
Minimal2 the fulness

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
So, I've combed the last 419 pages. Here are the 19 tires that are mentioned being used on the DR200.

metzeler enduro 3 is missing on the list, i had one rear tire installed yesterday. The size 18 120/80 fitted perfectly. In my school parking lot looks just outstanding among other bikes. HAving this said, would add also pirelli mt60 to the chart same size kinda same thread design

2+1 months living in Oaxaca's sierras and beaches:
http://motoviajero.com/foros/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2695
AleXtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #6420
FishQuest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Coming Full Circle

Hi Everyone,

Been lurking on this site, and the DR200 thread for quite some time. This is truly a great thread; full of valuable information and helpful, friendly people.

My short story:

I purchased a new 2006 DR200 back in...well...2006 - and spent most of my time using it to commute around town. It was an great bike and I loved riding it - it reminded be of my motocross racing days many years back. After a few of years of riding (and being inspired by some of the threads on this site) I started to develop grand ideas of touring the country on a motorcycle.

I sold the DR and bought a 2010 BMW F650GS. Another great bike that was fun to ride. I did do a few short tours in Alberta but I never really found the time to make full use of this machine. I felt it was more than what I needed - I never really found the time to do much highway travel, it was heavier and less manuverable in city traffic, and I was starting to yern to hit the dirt again (on a lighter machine).

This week I sold the BMW and bought a new 2011 DR200 (our local dealer still had a new one in stock that they were practically giving away ($3000)). I wasn't sure about the black color scheme at first - I thought the blue and yellow looked cool - but now that I have the bike at home I think I like the black better.

I will use it as a commuter bike but also have plans to explore the network of logging roads and cut lines in some of the areas where I like to go fly fishing. I like to do all of my own mechanical work and will try to add my 2 cents to this thread where I can. Maybe I will see some of you on the trails.

Cheers

FishQuest screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 09:08 AM
FishQuest is offline   Reply With Quote