Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 05:07 AM   #6466
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon310 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what did that run you?
I've been dreaming up putting a KTM 200 front end on this thing,
Mine probably isn't the best reference point for price, since part of the deal was they would have them longer and provide a discount for being the guinea pig.

Looking at the invoice and comparing to other bikes that I had done in the last year, I would estimated total package was +/-$500 (parts, labor, fluid, return shipping).

BTW if you do end up shipping to them, the forks fit nicely in a long gun pelican case..

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:54 AM   #6467
pozo
n00b

Oddometer: 7
106.2 mpg on the DR200SE

Yes, it is possible to achieve the rated mpg for this bike...

My last ride came in at 106.2 mpg for an 80-mile round-trip.

I have been trying to break the 100mpg barrier on this bike for some time now. Usually get high 80's to low 90's on it, and a couple of nights ago and found the time to do an evening ride, with relatively calm winds and flat terrain with good pavement.

The trick is to go SLOOOOOOWWWWW: about 38 mph is ideal on my (stock) gearing. I do have a Spitfire windshield, which does help aerodynamics a tiny bit. Tires are Shinko's 244 (50/50 dirt/trail); run premium gas (93); everything else is stock.

As most of you know, the DR200SE is quite susceptible to head-winds, hills, load, and acceleration, so the mpg can be all over the place. 38mph may be unrealistic for most everyone on the highway, but it is good to know you do have the range, if you ever need it. Also, keep in mind that on the dirt trails, 35-40mph is about as fast I would like to go....

For reference, at 50mph, I get 84 mpg. I'm 200 lbs, 5'8'', so as they say,
"... your mileage may vary..." ;-)
pozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #6468
osiriso
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi.He could find an exhaust on dr200 to buy native from FMF expensively. Whether there are replaced mufflers on our motorcycle
osiriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #6469
Ddgfarm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Valve Adjust Procedure

Hi all, I bought 2005 DR200 last year. My wife and daughter love it. I am 6'4" and it is a bit compact for me.

I think I should check the valves. I tried searching this thread for the valve adjust procedure with no luck.

I apologize if this has been posted before, but does anybody have a pointer to the valve adjust procedure?

I would assume it is pretty straightforward since it isn't a bucket/shim design.

EDIT
I found this procedure on the DR350 thread. Is this also applicable to the DR200SE?

DR350 VALVE ADJUST PROCEDURE
"Just checked my valves yesterday. Remove the tank, remove the two plugs on the stator/rotor cover, remove the rocker covers, and I removed the coil for extra clearance. Remove the spark plug and rotate the crank shaft with a socket wrench in the direction the motor runs ( counter clockwise looking from the left side ). Watch the intake valves open then close. Then slowly continue to rotate the crank shaft and watch for the " T " ( top dead center ) on the fly wheel through the small inspection hole. You should be able to feel that all the valves are loose now. Use a feeler gage and check the valve clearance. You should get a slight friction drag with the gage. I set my intake valves on .003", and exhaust on .008". You might want to bend a 8mm 12 point box end wrench and make a sguare drive tool to make it easier, but it can be done without it. Put it back together and your done."

Thanks

Ddgfarm screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 04:39 PM
Ddgfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #6470
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,119
It's about the same except for the gap. The clearance for both intake and exhaust tappets on the DR200 is .08 to .13 millimeters with the engine cold.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #6471
Ddgfarm
Adventurer

Thanks Klay, I will give it a go. There is a lot of great information in this thread.

Next farkle is a windshield to give my wife a little nicer ride. I see some people have used the Spitfire s-06 with success.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #6472
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo View Post
Yes, it is possible to achieve the rated mpg for this bike...

My last ride came in at 106.2 mpg for an 80-mile round-trip.

I have been trying to break the 100mpg barrier on this bike for some time now. Usually get high 80's to low 90's on it, and a couple of nights ago and found the time to do an evening ride, with relatively calm winds and flat terrain with good pavement.

The trick is to go SLOOOOOOWWWWW: about 38 mph is ideal on my (stock) gearing. I do have a Spitfire windshield, which does help aerodynamics a tiny bit. Tires are Shinko's 244 (50/50 dirt/trail); run premium gas (93); everything else is stock.

As most of you know, the DR200SE is quite susceptible to head-winds, hills, load, and acceleration, so the mpg can be all over the place. 38mph may be unrealistic for most everyone on the highway, but it is good to know you do have the range, if you ever need it. Also, keep in mind that on the dirt trails, 35-40mph is about as fast I would like to go....

For reference, at 50mph, I get 84 mpg. I'm 200 lbs, 5'8'', so as they say,
"... your mileage may vary..." ;-)
Can you post a pic of your Spitfire, and model # if possible? I would like to add one to mine :)
Old 03-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #6473
Ddgfarm
Adventurer

"Can you post a pic of your Spitfire, and model # if possible? I would like to add one to mine :)"

I haven't gotten mine yet, but there is a picture on post 652 in this thread. It is the Spitfire S-06. Here is a link to the manufacturers web site: http://www.slipstreamer.com/Product/Sport/sport.html. I called Slipstreamer and they recommended this model too for the DR200.

Motorcycle Superstore and Amazon have them.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #6474
generalnonsense
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Sprocket installed

Just finished installing my new 16 t front sprocket, the bike hauls my 120 lbs around just fine with the higher ratio, and still has enought uummpphh in the lower gears for the off road jaunts. On a separate note, have any of you had good luck with any kind of bark busters/hand guards etc? I am getting tired of sore knuckles in the woods.
generalnonsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #6475
Goon310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
would estimated total package was +/-$500 (parts, labor, fluid, return shipping).
Yikes.
That's a little much for right now.
Sounds nice though.

I rode the bike to work Monday/Tuesday.
I can get to work in 4 minutes!
Haven't rode much, though, waiting for gear to arrive.
Goon310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #6476
Goon310
Adventurer

It seems I've developed an oil leak.
I don't think it is from the head gasket, as oil seems to be leaking onto the TOP of the head?
Do I still need a new head gasket, or can I just clean with MEK and then put sealent around where I think the leak is coming from?

I'm getting really tired of the crap that keeps happening on this bike.
So much for "ready to ride"
Yeah, after I replace every damn thing!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #6477
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Have you got an air-cooled thumper? Well, then, you have an oil leak. It's true for all of mine. The 200 actually leaks the least, but it goes with the territory.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #6478
Goon310
Adventurer

So... having my cylinder head coated in oil after a ride is just something to deal with then?
Alrighty!
I can deal.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #6479
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Have you got an air-cooled thumper? Well, then, you have an oil leak. It's true for all of mine. The 200 actually leaks the least, but it goes with the territory.
How so? Neither of our two DRs leak, and even if they did develop a leak, I would think changing the appropriate gasket would stop the leak???
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #6480
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
How so? Neither of our two DRs leak, and even if they did develop a leak, I would think changing the appropriate gasket would stop the leak???
All of my thumpers leak to one extent or another. Sure, you could chase down the source and fix it, but it isn't worth the effort.