Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #6571
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleio View Post
I replaced the needle per the instructions I received from Kientech.

I did not take the floats off. I replaced the main jet and the pilot jet inside the bottom of the carb. I also replaced the fuel screw.

Actually, I re-opened the carb today to make sure everything was a-okay. Everything looked fine.

I'm thinking of setting the "adjustor" (i.e., item 28 in Partzilla link) so that the "bottom" of the throttle is higher. Hopefully, this will increase the idle speed and keep the engine from dying.
Adjusting the idle speed idle stop knob (part #28) is no big deal, but the real problem is it seems to be running way to rich. Are you sure an O-ring didn't drop out or something? I'll take a look at the parts diagrams.

Klay screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 09:49 PM
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #6572
Klay
dreaming adventurer

It looks like there's an O-ring, a spring, and a washer that sit above the pilot screw. There's an O-ring above the main jet. If any of those got lost or put back in the wrong sequence when you were putting things back together, it would mess up the mixture. I would focus on the main jet first, because a messed up mixture on the idle circuit (the pilot screw and related parts) ought not to make it run so rich that it fouls the spark plug...that would just mess up the idle mixture.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #6573
Kleio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
It looks like there's an O-ring, a spring, and a washer that sit above the pilot screw. There's an O-ring above the main jet. If any of those got lost or put back in the wrong sequence when you were putting things back together, it would mess up the mixture. I would focus on the main jet first, because a messed up mixture on the idle circuit (the pilot screw and related parts) ought not to make it run so rich that it fouls the spark plug...that would just mess up the idle mixture.
I'm sure I assembled the pilot screw correctly.

I didn't notice an O-ring above the main jet. If I lost that, then I'm SOL. I can't even go back to the original main jet if I wanted to. Oh well, $306 for a new carb.
Kleio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #6574
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
I'm sure I assembled the pilot screw correctly.

I didn't notice an O-ring above the main jet. If I lost that, then I'm SOL. I can't even go back to the original main jet if I wanted to. Oh well, $306 for a new carb.

Negative. Just order another O-ring if that's the case.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #6575
powellkwd40
n00b

Oddometer: 3
My old SP200

powellkwd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #6576
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Nice. Does it have a kick start?

Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #6577
powellkwd40
n00b

Old SP200

Yes, Kick start only. Same bike as DR200.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #6578
Klay
dreaming adventurer

If I ran across one of those, I'd snap it up in an instant.

Klay screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 02:58 PM
Old 04-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #6579
powellkwd40
n00b

Attempting to upload photo

Old 04-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #6580
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by powellkwd40 View Post
This should help...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #6581
Kleio
Adventurer

Quote:
Negative. Just order another O-ring if that's the case.
Took the carb apart today and the washer (it is not an O-ring) is on the main jet, so that is not the problem.

One last thing, when I ordered the jet kit I asked if it was necessary to have the muffler modified also. I was told it was not, so I am still using the unmodified stock muffler. Is this correct? Do the new Kientech jets need a muffler that flows more freely than the stock muffler?

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #6582
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Took the carb apart today and the washer (it is not an O-ring) is on the main jet, so that is not the problem.

One last thing, when I ordered the jet kit I asked if it was necessary to have the muffler modified also. I was told it was not, so I am still using the unmodified stock muffler. Is this correct? Do the new Kientech jets need a muffler that flows more freely than the stock muffler?

Thanks.
I ran the Kientech jets for a period of time with the unmodified muffler, and there was no problem. Keep trying, there's got to be something we've overlooked.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #6583
inuvik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Just installed a DG Performance Exhaust

Just installed a DG Performance Exhaust. I chose the oval version because I thought that the shape would be a little closer to the OEM than the round version. Delivery was rapid, I ordered it on a Friday and got delivery on Monday. Upon opening the box I was impressed with the build quality of the exhaust. Nicely welded and it this is a quality piece of equipment. Installation was pretty straightforward but not a perfect fit. It is a very very tight fit on the lower mounting point bolt. I had to trim the rubber spacer on the plastic side panel to accommodate the width of the exhaust. I'm still not sure if I'll have to trim the side panel to keep it off the muffler to prevent melting. When I fired it up after installation my first reaction was Wow! Sounds like a 400cc now. I will say that if you are looking for quiet performance this is not for you. If you are looking for aggressive thumper sound it is beautiful music. I would recommend the DG Performance Exhaust. It's far cheaper than the FMF and is available in both round and oval versions. Bike's a little dirty from daily riding but here is a picture of it installed.

inuvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #6584
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
1.) how do you drain the gas properly?

I just figured out the fuel petcock doesn't have an "off" position...

the fuel line to the carb is also pretty short, so I was going to yank it off the tank, and quickly put on another hosed (piped into a gas can), then let it drain...might get a little messy, so I was hoping there's a better way

2.) what size is the fuel line?

I want to extend the line and install an in-line fuel filter in case any residual crap from the old gas gets into the carbs

3.) what's the easiest way to clean out the pilot circuit?

after the gas is drained, I need to pull the float bowl off to clean the pilot jet; can I just unhook the fuel line, then just twist the carb enough to get the screws off and the bowl off to access the pilot jet?

northsouth15 screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 07:39 PM
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #6585
Kleio
Adventurer

Quote:
I ran the Kientech jets for a period of time with the unmodified muffler, and there was no problem. Keep trying, there's got to be something we've overlooked.
I perused the internet and I found out that the air/fuel mixture can be made leaner by moving the clip on the needle up. I currently have it set on the third notch as it as sent to me by Kientech.

What do you think of moving the clip to the highest (leanest) slot? Do you think it will have enough of an effect?

Thanks.