Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #6646
LumberingJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I've only recently experienced the joys of DR200 ownership, though have a 92 DR 125 and a 2000 DR 125SE. The SE dropped a valve, junking the head in the process. Trying to find a good, used head in the UK is almost a non starter, but what I did come across was a complete, low milage 200SE Djebel for not a lot of money and have transplanted that engine for the time being.

It's totally transformed the little bike, not much faster at the top really, but holds it a lot better and has a good bit more torque. Currently running the same gearing the 125 should, 16:53, though the other 125 runs 13:53 and is great in the woods.

Really enjoying using it for commuting and trails but have entered it into a local big bike rally later in the summer so that could be fun. Hoping to keep it for the time being and maybe do some shorter trips on it this summer.

Might get round to restoring the old 200 chassis and putting it back together if I ever get the old 125 engine back together.

The little 92 125 gets used as play bike at the moment on vintage enduros (And does very well considering it's low power), but might be getting retired shortly as I've picked up an old 2 stroke KTM to use instead.

Not sussed how to post pics as yet but will work it out eventually.
LumberingJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #6647
ErockPDX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Stoked...

...just bought a 1996 DR200 as a woods bike to compliment my R1150GS and to hone my dirt skills on. As usual, this community kicks ass--the resources are endless. Thanks all!
ErockPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #6648
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,853
250cc Big Bore Kit?

After a rather underwhelming weekend tromp in the hills of West VA, I was curious to know if anyone had done (or info on parts) for the big bore kit? Supposedly, you can bore it to 250cc?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #6649
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidd View Post
Just curiouse how many of you have a bigger bike and what is it ??
My wife rides a Triumph Street Triple when she's not on her DR200 and I ride a Tiger 800XC when not riding my DR650.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #6650
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Rear shock specs

Started on the rear suspension upgrade. Here's what I found out from WorksPerformance

The OEM spring rate is 410 pounds per inch
The spring is different diameters on the top vs bottom
Travel is 9 inches
Old 05-08-2013, 04:05 AM   #6651
cidd
doppler shift

Oddometer: 40
I m starting to get use to rideing this littel thing if it didnt have so much engine braking it would be nice to ride . The littel best also does a lot of poping when you downshift might try to upgrade the carburation and exhaust a tad to so if that will help. Does anyone know where I can get an aftermarket widshield for this in the states ? even if I have to mode one to fit that would be fine just need get an idea of what might fit to get started . To anyone thats done the kien-tech exhaust mode has it helped ? how much more noise did you get if any ? and what is turn around time ? Im thinking of doing the carb & exhaust mode .

cidd screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 04:22 AM
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #6652
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
After a rather underwhelming weekend tromp in the hills of West VA, I was curious to know if anyone had done (or info on parts) for the big bore kit? Supposedly, you can bore it to 250cc?

Given the price of these machines and the tone of your post, I'd suggest selling it and getting something with a bigger engine. These bikes are fun little trail bikes that will take you to some beautiful places, but its not an overly exciting ride there and never will be. I always compared mine to an offroad scooter. It's a 200cc air cooled, drum braked, HEAVY tank of a bike that lasts forever. For the price of what you'll spend on trying to make the DR into something its not, you could easily get a nice plated XR400 or similar bike. The XR400 shares a lot of the benefits of the DR200 (air cooled, indestructable, low maint), but has considerably more power. Ironically, both bikes weigh about the same.

Wallrat screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 06:56 AM
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #6653
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85suzuki View Post
Thanks for your response. Do you think there is any harm in driving it as is?
Yes and no. There's a reasonably good chance that oil is also going into the cylinder, which is going to make a mess of your valves. Not an expensive fix but you will have to spend a good portion of a day removing all that carbon. Other than that, the mess of an oil leak, the risk that oil is going to get onto something you really don't want it on (brakes, tires), and fouling spark plugs, there's not really any major harm in running with a minor oil leak so long as you check the oil frequently.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #6654
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
Given the price of these machines and the tone of your post, I'd suggest selling it and getting something with a bigger engine. For the price of what you'll spend on trying to make the DR into something its not, you could easily get a nice plated XR400 or similar bike.
Except for the fact I am a bonafide shorty pants with a 27.5 inch inseam, that would be a brilliant plan to execute. So, I guess we are back to plan A again. How about that big bore kit?
Old 05-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #6655
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,367
Quote:
Except for the fact I am a bonafide shorty pants with a 27.5 inch inseam, that would be a brilliant plan to execute. So, I guess we are back to plan A again. How about that big bore kit?
What about something like a Super Sherpa? Wouldn't it be easier? If you settle on a big bore kit, I'll be interested to hear how it goes, however.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #6656
85suzuki
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
Yes and no. There's a reasonably good chance that oil is also going into the cylinder, which is going to make a mess of your valves. Not an expensive fix but you will have to spend a good portion of a day removing all that carbon. Other than that, the mess of an oil leak, the risk that oil is going to get onto something you really don't want it on (brakes, tires), and fouling spark plugs, there's not really any major harm in running with a minor oil leak so long as you check the oil frequently.

I purchased a gasket kit from TT tonight because I noticed that the oil leak is getting worse. I am hoping that the tear down and rebuild will not take any longer than a weekend. I do have a manual that is going to come in handy but does anyone have a video walk through of a tear down and rebuild?
85suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #6657
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Quite a few bikes have lowering kits available. Check http://www.koubalink.com/ for some pretty good options. Most of their links seem to drop the bike at least 1-2". Most seats can be shaved for another inch or 2 if you really feel its needed. It probably isn't.

The only reason I got the DR was for my wife who has a 23" inseam to give you some comparison. My inseam is only 30" and I'm rolling on a KTM450 (stock height). Before that I had an XR400 and CR250 (both also stock height) and both were fine too. Prior to the DR I hadn't been on a bike that I could put both feet flat on the ground since I was 14 and was learning to ride on a 1977 YZ80. Flat footing is nice for confidence, especially when learning, but its far from necessary.

The DR is a fun little bike, but its always gonna feel like a little bike. My advice is: If you're bored with it, then it's probably best to shop elsewhere.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #6658
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Klay - are you sure I can replace the OEM petcock with a manual one?

I made the swap, plugged the extra hose, and the bike backfires and still won't idle.

I pulled the carbs tonight, and kept "bursting" carb cleaner through the pilot jet/main jet/CV passageway until I was getting full streams out of the passageways. I started it again, and the bike still wouldn't idle unless I cranked the idle screw, and now the engine speed would 'race' instead of idle. the pilot jet was completely clear, so I wasn't sure what was going on. The petcock was still dripping, so I swapped it for a manual one, and now the bike starts a lot harder and after 500 revolutions or so, it would backfire. And if I wasn't twisting the throttle, it would stall almost immediately

alas it was dark, so I gave up...going to pull the plug tomorrow and see if she is running lean or not, then do a better job plugging that extra hose (with glue), chop and re-install new fuel line (new petcock doesn't fit old fuel line), then go from there

part of me thinks I should've left it - at least it ran before!

side note: Suzuki must've decided on how they would prank/torture all DR200se owners - "hey let's make the carbs pretty easy to take out, but impossible to put back on! it'll irritate the owners, ha!"

northsouth15 screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 09:39 PM
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #6659
Klay
dreaming adventurer

You have to take the jets out and actually soak them in something....just spraying cleaning fluid likely won't do the trick. The passageways in that little carb are very fine and small, and it's easy for them to remain clogged. It's good to clean the whole carb, but you can just turn it sideways and take the jets out if you want.

It's hard to diagnose stuff over the internet, but keep at it. You'll get it sorted eventually.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #6660
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oh, and yes, the manual petcock will work just fine, and you eliminated one possibility for the source of the problem.