Old 05-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #6676
inuvik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Tuturo Oiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouth15 View Post
I want it for my streetbike!

I end up lubing that thing every 2-3 days when I'm commuting 80-100 miles/day...
I really like it, but it is a little spendy. It's worth it though because that's one less thing to worry about.
2005 DR200SE: Ricochet skidplate, Spitfire S-06 Windshield, Suzuki Handguards, Tusk handlebar risers, Cycleracks rear rack, Chase-Harper B-Alaska Bag, DG Performance Exhaust, Tutoro Chain Oiler, Garmin Etrek GPS.
inuvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #6677
ErockPDX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
DR 200 Farkles...

...are trickling in. Here's the 1996 I picked up last week. Only 4,000 miles on the clock. Thing was bone stock and runs like a champ...but I have some plans for her. I replaced the bars with Pro Taper ATVs, put on new grips (Pro Grip Rally) and Acerbis Minicross handguards.

Mike at Man Racks was nice enough to fire out a DR200 BBQ rack for me. The thing is EXACTLY what I wanted and fits like a glove:

En route are new fork boots (these are getting gross), Rox risers (I need about 2" to stand comfortably on this bike), a front haul loop, new DS mirrors and Kientech's jet kit.

The only thing I'm not stoked about on this bike are the rubber vibration mounts on the bar clamps...It seems like just one more variable in the front alignment. The PO went down in the dirt HARD and so I'm already chasing a few ghosts out of the clamp alignment...would be nice to not have to think about the bars being square.

ErockPDX screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 09:18 AM
ErockPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:03 AM   #6678
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
never thought I'd say this to a dude - but nice rack!

has anyone run the deathwings on hardpack?

I was at Hungry Valley/Gorman in southern CA, and forgot my key so didn't use my dr, so I rented a CRF230

but I'm curious how the deathwings would've faired - I'm guessing poorly?

the stuff looks like this:

I'm thinking - get a trials tire, and go +1 or +2 on the rear sprocket. If I can keep a single length chain and front sprocket as-is, I could likely change out the rear wheel and tire in 30 mins before loading her up to go ou
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #6679
JayGoldstein
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
[QUOTE}]Mike at Man Racks was nice enough to fire out a DR200 BBQ rack for me. The thing is EXACTLY what I wanted and fits like a glove:[/QUOTE]

I've got the "regular" Man Racks and like it very much.

I was wondering why you opted for the "BBQ" rack?

JayGoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #6680
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouth15 View Post
never thought I'd say this to a dude - but nice rack!

has anyone run the deathwings on hardpack?

I was at Hungry Valley/Gorman in southern CA, and forgot my key so didn't use my dr, so I rented a CRF230

but I'm curious how the deathwings would've faired - I'm guessing poorly?

the stuff looks like this:

I'm thinking - get a trials tire, and go +1 or +2 on the rear sprocket. If I can keep a single length chain and front sprocket as-is, I could likely change out the rear wheel and tire in 30 mins before loading her up to go ou
The tires that come on the DR200 are NOT the dreaded death wings. They are TrailWing 18/19s and a pretty good tire. The death wings are factory fit on the DR650 (TrailWing 41/42) and I can personally vouch for their reputation with 3 front end washouts to their credit. I haven't crashed in over 2 years since I replaced them.

My wife loved the TW18/19s on her DR but I couldn't find them when she needed new tires. I put a set of IRC GP1s and she likes them as well as the TWs. Good all around tire. I've ran several sets of GP1s on my DR650 and they do well for our type of trails. I have switched to Conti TKC 80s on the DR650 but my wife says all she'll run is the IRC GP1s.

bross screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 10:23 AM
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #6681
ErockPDX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGoldstein View Post

I was wondering why you opted for the "BBQ" rack?
Two reasons--I like the option for a little wider support for luggage, namely a Pelican case (they don't have a ton of lateral stability when bolted from the middle). Plus, when I put shorter blinkers, the BBQ will provide a little protection.
ErockPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #6682
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidd View Post
Just curiouse how many of you have a bigger bike and what is it ??
Honda Valkyrie tourer w/ 7 gal interstate tank, only 500 lbs heavier.

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #6683
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
sorry that just tells you where to buy it . I want to do it myself as in take the muffler apart and rebuild it myself anyone can go buy it . I have all the equipment I need to do it and the capability just kind of looking for basics on doing it . Like how much to open it up / what to remove and not remove that type of info ?

end caps
http://www.procircuit.com/stainless-quiet-inserts.html

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Old 05-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #6684
cidd
doppler shift

Oddometer: 40
Thanks for the site parts is always a good way to get started
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #6685
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
The tires that come on the DR200 are NOT the dreaded death wings. They are TrailWing 18/19s and a pretty good tire. The death wings are factory fit on the DR650 (TrailWing 41/42) and I can personally vouch for their reputation with 3 front end washouts to their credit. I haven't crashed in over 2 years since I replaced them.

My wife loved the TW18/19s on her DR but I couldn't find them when she needed new tires. I put a set of IRC GP1s and she likes them as well as the TWs. Good all around tire. I've ran several sets of GP1s on my DR650 and they do well for our type of trails. I have switched to Conti TKC 80s on the DR650 but my wife says all she'll run is the IRC GP1s.
thanks, dually noted...I was mistaken!

and I sort of understand now...now that they're scrubbed, I can barely brake 'em loose when I back it into turns...

time to test how far they can lean!
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #6686
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the site parts is always a good way to get started
all I did was drill out the epa plates, removed the epa metal noise screen inside of the airfilter, opened the idle mixture screw to 3 turns out and went up 1 main jet size. big difference in the top end and all around ridng. with the exhaust now I can feel the exhaust stream a few ft from the end with my hand, before its was less than a ft. these oem mufflers are really choked down.

John Adams 10/11/1798

Old 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #6687
MountainMike
n00b

Oddometer: 5
This is my 2008 DR200SE that I modded up a little bit.

The old duck-bill fender and square 1980's headlight surround wasn't doing it for me. So I put the surround from a DR400SM on it, and an Acerbis SuperMoto fender. I also put on black side panels instead of the white and remove the decals.

I put a ThumperTalk skid plate on it as well.

I also put an FMF Q4 exhaust on. Made it feel a little bit more peppy, and a whole lot louder. Going to do the Keintech intake and carb stuff to it at some point. For now I'm looking a putting on the Baja Designs tail light assembly on it.

MountainMike screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 04:03 PM
MountainMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #6688
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
Started on the rear suspension upgrade. Here's what I found out from WorksPerformance

The OEM spring rate is 410 pounds per inch
The spring is different diameters on the top vs bottom
Travel is 9 inches
The new Work Performance Shock arrived tonight. Probably the easiest rear shock install we'd had in the house. Take off the seat, side plastic. Drop out top shock bolt, lower shock bolt, and swingarm arm rear bolt. Lower the rear wheel, and the swing arm bolt comes out, and the shock slides down & out.

Initial impressions is that Works was a great company to deal with. Knowledable as Cogent and Fast Bikes and had uber fast shipping! Although it diminutive size compared to the big bike shocks, it's looks well built. And it is completely rebuildable.

The first ride around the playground in the yard was it going to be nice plush ride. The bike does sit a bit higher when I am on it, probably due the slightly stiffer spring rate (425 pounds per inch). Might leave it alone for a bit before I monkey with the preloading.

OEM on left

OEM on right

Installed

I think last major mod is to find a few more ponies. It might be a bit elusive, this motor has been around in one form or another for years. The LT125, LT160, LT185, LT230, DR100, DR125, DR185, DR200 and others have all used some version of this same motor. I do love the ergonomics of the DR200 (reach to bars, length to pegs, ride) so I am not entirely inclined to go chase another chassis.

I've got feelers out to Weisco, BBR and Pivot Works didn't pan out. Still got a call in Powroll.

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Dorito screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 06:57 PM
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #6689
85suzuki
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
"Dorito" What did the shock cost you? I could use a new shock in the old girl.
85suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:26 AM   #6690
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,067
Mine was right at $500 with shipping. However, I notice they are now doing -$100 with the code "madness".

Here are some other options to save some cash:
Quote:
STORE SPECIALS

e-Bay Logo We do sell some over-stock shocks at a 20 to 50% discount. They can be found at our e-Bay store. Items which are from cancelled orders (new condition) are 20% off, old or aging stock (new but never mounted) are 30% off, and reworked shocks (used but refurbished to working condition) are 50% off. Remember that these shocks are model and rider specific. Read the description carefully.

HOLIDAY SPECIALS

Call and ask for holiday pricing (818) 701-1010. We offer military, rider club, racing member, seasonal and holiday discounts.

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote