Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #6721
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
Because that's the trails you rode, and this is a trail in Ocotillo:

It'll make it on the tame stuff no problem, but you'll have some trouble in deep sand, big rocks, and especially a combination of both. Expect to use 1st gear on just about any of the steepish hills.
OK, I didn't realize you guys were talking truly knarly terrain. Frankly I wouldn't take *ANY* DR down that type of terrain. Can you? Sure probably. Should you? probably not. There are way better tools out there for that type of job.

The DRs are great back roads explorers including moderate jeep trails or two track but for anything knarlier take a real dirt bike.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #6722
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
yep, it's all about suiting the tool for the terrain

but I'm a little crazy...as long as it's a dirt bike, I take it almost anywhere!

I took this bike...

...here:

and here:

and this bike:

here:

and this bike:

here:

but the strange thing is - all of those bikes felt faster!
northsouth15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #6723
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouth15 View Post
yep, it's all about suiting the tool for the terrain

but I'm a little crazy...as long as it's a dirt bike, I take it almost anywhere!

I took this bike...

...here:

and here:

and this bike:

here:

and this bike:

here:

but the strange thing is - all of those bikes felt faster!
I think the XR was just in a higher state of tune, take a look at the DR200 in Australia. It's more a farm bike with racks front and rear etc., was never built to be "fast". Think more tractor than race bike.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #6724
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
yeah, that's what I thought - it's still a far cry from real power for the weight it makes

I was thinking about the front sprocket change, but I also have an extra set of wheels - changing the front sprocket would take more time, right?

I haven't looked yet...if it's just dropping the cover, and loosening a bolt without a impact driver, it might be easy enough

Yeah its easy and quick to change the front.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #6725
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

honestly - I can accept that. if the dr200 was meant to be mellow but reliable, I will take it any day over a high performance, high maintenance ride...my 144 stroker was a bat out of hell, but things just kept breaking over...and over again.

I guess I'm getting old

so changing the DR200 a lot isn't worth it...I'd rather just get a better bike.

but if the mods are cheap (ie. front sprocket) it's worth a try!

wallrat - so for ocotillo/gorman/silverwood - how's down 2 in the front?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #6726
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
honestly - I can accept that. if the dr200 was meant to be mellow but reliable, I will take it any day over a high performance, high maintenance ride...my 144 stroker was a bat out of hell, but things just kept breaking over...and over again.

I guess I'm getting old

so changing the DR200 a lot isn't worth it...I'd rather just get a better bike.

but if the mods are cheap (ie. front sprocket) it's worth a try!

wallrat - so for ocotillo/gorman/silverwood - how's down 2 in the front?

XR400's are also rock-solid reliable in a full-size, go-anywhere package - and they're pretty common with Ca plates...Just FYI. The DR already has a pretty low granny gear, probably could get by with 1 tooth down in the front and a wise trail selection. You'll have no issues on anything that's decently graded even with stock gearing. Just don't go down any hill you're not sure that you can get back up.

My advice is to take it out to the trails in stock form and see what you think. Maybe you'll conclude that it's perfect, or a gearing change is needed, or a few more HP, or that a whole diff bike fits your needs.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #6727
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
XR400's are also rock-solid reliable in a full-size, go-anywhere package - and they're pretty common with Ca plates...Just FYI. The DR already has a pretty low granny gear, probably could get by with 1 tooth down in the front and a wise trail selection. You'll have no issues on anything that's decently graded even with stock gearing. Just don't go down any hill you're not sure that you can get back up.

My advice is to take it out to the trails in stock form and see what you think. Maybe you'll conclude that it's perfect, or a gearing change is needed, or a few more HP, or that a whole diff bike fits your needs.
the irony is that I took it alllllll the way up to Gorman, had prepared/packed for 3 days, and made it 5 mins from the north entrance when I remembered that I forgot my key

that would've been the perfect place to test it!

but yes, I just want to test it on a serious hill, WOT, 2nd gear and see how she does. As long as the bike can hold it's rpm's to keep the bike moving, I'm good.

I did ride saddleback/santiago area up the maple spring side, and it wasn't bad, but it was really just a gravel road...no single track or anything challenging

prob. going to try silverwood and see how she does

I'd like an XR400...but I might as well share my dark secret with the advrider community now - I'm cheap! a plated XR400 is at least $2,500...and who knows how many miles or hours are on it.

I got my DR200 with 48 miles on it!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #6728
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'd like an XR400...but I might as well share my dark secret with the advrider community now - I'm cheap! a plated XR400 is at least $2,500...and who knows how many miles or hours are on it.

I got my DR200 with 48 miles on it!
They pop up occasionally for around $2k (not on Craigslist) but yeah, the DR's are nice and cheap. Hours isn't that big of an issue on them to be honest. My last bike was a plated 96 XR400 and the original top end lasted 17 years. Aside from the usual chain care, oil changes, and valve adjustments that bike required ZERO maintenance.

CNF is my local trail too and its better than nothing but yeah, its kinda boring to ride. Unfortunately, the type of terrain up there around Santiago is where the DR excels.

Wallrat screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 08:00 AM
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #6729
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

no single track trails through the forest out in CNF?

I'll come with ya sometime...it'll be a roaring thunder DR200se ride

I loosened the bar clamps and swung the bars forward...so instead of the middle bar thing leaning backwards, it now faces straight up. The brake/clutch levers are forward and down a bit, and it helps while standing

also - how does it fair in the canyons?

I went to palomar once with the FZR600...and even with a bike that old (which is geared pretty short), I was in 2nd/3rd gear the whole time, and sometimes even in 1st!!

I figure a dual sport like the 200se, at 40-50mph using all the gears, it would be right at home!

northsouth15 screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 05:30 PM
Old 05-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #6730
cidd
doppler shift

Oddometer: 40
Ok since it was brought up that buy putting an after market exhaust on one of these bikes might cause the temp to go up because they are already running lean I thought I would check it out. Can someone take a stock bike and check the temp at the top of the head and at the exhaust outlet on the head ? and Ill check mine with the dg exhaust and see whats what ??
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #6731
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidd View Post
Ok since it was brought up that buy putting an after market exhaust on one of these bikes might cause the temp to go up because they are already running lean I thought I would check it out. Can someone take a stock bike and check the temp at the top of the head and at the exhaust outlet on the head ? and Ill check mine with the dg exhaust and see whats what ??
Check the spark plug? That's the easiest and best method for seeing how your jetting is. Plenty of pics/info if you google spark plug check.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #6732
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
no single track trails through the forest out in CNF?
There's singletrack but its off limits to us - only mountain bikers and hikers get to use those trails. Some guys take their dual sports on em but you're risking a ticket and the area being closed to us. Best not to do it, there was recently an article in the Register by a hiker complaining about all the dual sports riding irresponsibly up there. I think Silverwood is the nearest singletrack to us.

Never tried the DR in the canyons TBH. Wife's bike, I just fart around on it on some trails when she takes a break to see what it can do.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #6733
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'll help, but I have a stupid question - how are you measuring it?

buy a thermometer from the pharmacy, warm it up, then measure the temp while it's parked/idling?
Old 05-23-2013, 03:56 AM   #6734
cidd
doppler shift

Oddometer: 40
Im going to use a hand held laser type bought one at home depot lastnight for $30 its a riobi. Ill take the readings tonight
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:04 AM   #6735
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Im going to use a hand held laser type bought one at home depot lastnight for $30 its a riobi. Ill take the readings tonight
How do you plan on taking measurements while WOT since that's the time you need to measure?