Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 04:30 AM   #6826
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberingJack View Post
I can see where you're coming from, but I think it would work really well for the right sort of riding. The other thing is an XR400 is a heavy bike - a DR200 engined MX bike will still weigh less than (or at least no heavier) a standard DR 200 I'd expect.
LOL you realize a DR200SE weighs about 20 lbs more than an XR400 right?
Old 06-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #6827
jeffcneal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
The 2004 XR400 has a claimed dry weight of 257lbs., the 2013 DR200SE has a claimed weight of 278 lbs. I've got to admit that I'm surprised but it still seems like a sweet handling combo.

regards,
Jeff
jeffcneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #6828
LumberingJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
LOL you realize a DR200SE weighs about 20 lbs more than an XR400 right?
Serves me right for speaking without thinking hey

I do find that hard to believe though. A DR200SE I can lift off the floor comfortably, an XR4 less easily.

Maybe the US spec DR 200 weighs more than an XR 400, but over here I'd be less sure - the figures I've found put the DR at 113kg to the XR's 116kg and that's with the DR carrying the extra weight of a rear rack, indicators, glass headlight, instrument panel etc.

I'd not really want the SE engine to go in it though - I'd wan't the kickstart one and that would be lighter again.

A DR 200 engine in a decent rolling chassis (I.e proper competition chassis) would still be an ace weapon for technical going and would still be lighter than an XR400 - it couldn't not be!

Anyhoo, I aren't right fussed - chances are I'll never get round to doing it, 200 engines never seem to come up very often in the UK (and if they do they make big money) plus, I'll never find the time to do it.

@Jeff,

I've not seen a T-ride in the flesh over here - the nearest I've seen is the Beta Alp, but there doesn't seem to be much of a following for them either. I do quite like the idea of the Beta alp 4.0 with the DR350 engine though

LumberingJack screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 10:57 AM
LumberingJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #6829
jeffcneal
Adventurer

LumberingJack:

I think the reason for the lack of interest in the the T-Ride over here is the price tag for an admittedly odd-ball bike. My guess is that the Alp shares the same fate.

By the way, do you know any sites i can contact for off-roading in Scotland? My wife keeps hinting she wants to move back home. At least she wants to take the kids and I with her!

regards,
Jeff
Old 06-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #6830
LumberingJack
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcneal View Post
LumberingJack:

I think the reason for the lack of interest in the the T-Ride over here is the price tag for an admittedly odd-ball bike. My guess is that the Alp shares the same fate.

By the way, do you know any sites i can contact for off-roading in Scotland? My wife keeps hinting she wants to move back home. At least she wants to take the kids and I with her!

regards,
Jeff
Scotland and Offroading don't seem to want to go together very well unfortunately, but I'm sure there must be some events go on up there. Which part of Scotland are you likely to be thinking if you do head back and I'll see what I can find out.

Did a vintage only (anything pre 1990) enduro just south of the Scottish Borders in Northumberland last Sunday - they do a couple of events a year there if you fancy an older bike? Was a really nice course, no stoppers/deep bogs or massive hills but plenty of saddle time and a decent special test. Took the old 250 KTM out for it's first outing and loved it (I'd not ridden a two stroke for about 12 years prior to sunday morning!)

google Vindurouk.com and it should bring up their site.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #6831
mykdee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Just ordered the Kientech carb jet kit, hopefully it is as good as Kientech stated over the phone! Needed to rebuild/clean the carb this weekend anyways, so I thought I might as well upgrade it at the same time. What do you guys think of this mod?

Also picked up some bark busters today, got the Trackside from cycle gear.
http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/P...765_59409_6167
Will install everything this weekend. And hopefully take her out for our maiden voyage!
mykdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #6832
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,312
The Kientech jets improve driveability greatly. There may be slightly more power, too, but the main thing is that it's not so cold-blooded any more. I don't even use the choke in the summer.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #6833
jeffcneal
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberingJack View Post
Scotland and Offroading don't seem to want to go together very well unfortunately, but I'm sure there must be some events go on up there. Which part of Scotland are you likely to be thinking if you do head back and I'll see what I can find out.

Did a vintage only (anything pre 1990) enduro just south of the Scottish Borders in Northumberland last Sunday - they do a couple of events a year there if you fancy an older bike? Was a really nice course, no stoppers/deep bogs or massive hills but plenty of saddle time and a decent special test. Took the old 250 KTM out for it's first outing and loved it (I'd not ridden a two stroke for about 12 years prior to sunday morning!)

google Vindurouk.com and it should bring up their site.
Googled it and it looks cool. Damn, I miss my '90 KDX200! If we move, we'll be in Clydebank or Glasgow proper. She has relatives out in the country, but I'm not sure of the area..

regards,
Jeff
Old 06-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #6834
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
mykdee - let me know how that handguards turn out, I was also thinking about the CG parts because they're fairly inexpensive

this Sunday I do my first supermoto trackday...hopefully it's not that bad
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #6835
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
I am happy with my CG hand guards:

Old 06-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #6836
jeffcneal
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouth15 View Post
mykdee - let me know how that handguards turn out, I was also thinking about the CG parts because they're fairly inexpensive

this Sunday I do my first supermoto trackday...hopefully it's not that bad
northsouth15:

Best of luck Sunday and let us know how it goes. What all will you have to do to the bike to make it eligible? I'm jealous, there's nothing like that here in Arkansas that I know of.

regards,
Jeff
Old 06-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #6837
LumberingJack
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcneal View Post
Googled it and it looks cool. Damn, I miss my '90 KDX200! If we move, we'll be in Clydebank or Glasgow proper. She has relatives out in the country, but I'm not sure of the area..

regards,
Jeff
Had a quick look and it looks like trail riding's pretty much a none starter in Scotland, but there seems to be a few Enduros, this site seems to have a fair bit on it http://www.scottishenduros.co.uk/99/

Not far north of Glasgow there's some really nice roads - I've yet to venture up that way on a bike but have gone that way by car a fair bit.

Planning on taking the 200 out on a few trips this summer, it'll make a change from just riding to work and back on it when the sun's shining (not very often then!)

Have entered the Ryedale Rally on the 200se in 3 weeks time - it's a 2 day rally aimed at big bikes but open to anything as long as it's road legal and suitable for light offroading. Apparently some of the rally bikes clock over 100mph down some of the fire roads
Old 06-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #6838
mykdee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
The more I do research, the more I am questioning about doing the Kientech carb upgrade! I will and do ride in the rain and up in the mountains in the mud, and the fact that you no longer have the airbox lid or have to cut a large hole in the lid, it worries me about possibilty of water getting in.
mykdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #6839
inuvik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Agree with you on the Kientech Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykdee View Post
The more I do research, the more I am questioning about doing the Kientech carb upgrade! I will and do ride in the rain and up in the mountains in the mud, and the fact that you no longer have the airbox lid or have to cut a large hole in the lid, it worries me about possibilty of water getting in.
I'm hesitant also to reduce the wet weather capabilities of the DR200. I put on the DG Performance pipe and did no carb changes. I do however only run non ethanol premium with fairly high levels of Marvel Mystery Oil. The bottle says to mix 3 oz per 10 gallons. I add 1 oz per gallon. Plug looks great after 1000 miles and the exhaust temps are much lower. Before I put on the pipe with no MMO my exhaust pipe would glow red in the dark riding on the highway. After the pipe and adding MMO, never gets anywhere near that hot. Adding the DG pipe definitely made the bike a little snappier and it pulls good under load and low rpm. Very happy with that mod, oh and it sounds awesome.
2005 DR200SE: Ricochet skidplate, Spitfire S-06 Windshield, Suzuki Handguards, Tusk handlebar risers, Cycleracks rear rack, Chase-Harper B-Alaska Bag, DG Performance Exhaust, Tutoro Chain Oiler, Garmin Etrek GPS.
inuvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #6840
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,349
We have ridden in the rain quite a bit and four hours yesterday in pretty heavy rain. I have a cut up air box lid and the Keintech mods on my wife,s DR200. No problem with water getting in. If you're doing a water crossing deep enough for water ingress with a cut top, then you'd be sucking water in the snorkel anyway.

bross screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 07:53 AM
bross is offline   Reply With Quote