Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #6841
cidd
doppler shift

Oddometer: 40
I did the carb mode and A Dg exhaust on mine but I did not do the air box mode just left it alone and I still got a noticeable boost out it. In my opinion its well worth the cost you'll be very surprised how much it helps and that annoying backfire goes away also. Running around town I very rarely have to use 5th gear its now kind of an overdrive gear for the highway.

cidd screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 11:20 AM
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #6842
jeffcneal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberingJack View Post
Had a quick look and it looks like trail riding's pretty much a none starter in Scotland, but there seems to be a few Enduros, this site seems to have a fair bit on it http://www.scottishenduros.co.uk/99/

Not far north of Glasgow there's some really nice roads - I've yet to venture up that way on a bike but have gone that way by car a fair bit.

Planning on taking the 200 out on a few trips this summer, it'll make a change from just riding to work and back on it when the sun's shining (not very often then!)

Have entered the Ryedale Rally on the 200se in 3 weeks time - it's a 2 day rally aimed at big bikes but open to anything as long as it's road legal and suitable for light offroading. Apparently some of the rally bikes clock over 100mph down some of the fire roads
Thanks for checking that out for me. Lots of good information on the page you directed me to. If you run across anything else, let me know. Good luck at the rally and ride safe.

regards,
jeff
jeffcneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #6843
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcneal View Post
northsouth15:

Best of luck Sunday and let us know how it goes. What all will you have to do to the bike to make it eligible? I'm jealous, there's nothing like that here in Arkansas that I know of.

regards,
Jeff
I'm so excited!

I've read that running street tires on the OEM 21"/18" tires have nearly as much traction as the 17" supermoto wheel setup without costing $1,000 in additional parts.

eligibility at the track I'm going to is pretty relaxed - it's a private/family owned track and they just ask that we tape up the lenses and make sure the bike doesn't leak onto the track. On ashphalt-only days, you can't run knobbies, but other days you can run whatever you want for rubber.

I'm using the 50/50 OEM bridgestone tires and will be going to the ashphalt & dirt day:

cost for track day?

$45!

northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #6844
jeffcneal
Adventurer

northsouth15:

It's just $45 for track day at THAT track? Hell, I'd give them $90 and let my other personality ride as well. It's seriously cool that you can run stock sized rims and not have to remove all the DOT spec. equipment. And your tire choice sounds ideal.

Have a great time tomorrow and let us know how it goes. With photos if you can, lots of photos.

regards,
Jeff
Old 06-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #6845
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,926
Been riding the wheels of the little bike. Put about 2500 miles on the new Works Performance rear shock, and I am very happy with it!

Put a new Uni air filter on her

She was way overdue for a new set of front brake pads. It really caught me off guard, as the bike only has 5500 miles on her to have brake pads in such an abysmal state. Stopped by 3 Suzuki dealers on my way out riding last weekend, nary a one stocks brake pads.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #6846
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

funny, the person that sold you that bike, was probably the same person that sold me mine

my filter looked a lot like that haha

@ Jeffc - I think it's only $30 for members (annual membership ~$100), and $15 mondays

come visit SoCal and I'll take ya!!
Old 06-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #6847
mykdee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Anyone know where I can get larger footpegs? Got my bike running this morning and took it for a quick ride in the desert, and I tend to stand 95% of the time offroad and you can really feel those small factory pegs! I seen somewhere on here someone made a set of KTM 950 pegs work, wondering if there anyother options.
mykdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #6848
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Look for generic DRxxx foot pegs on EBay. I have those and they are bigger and work fine.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #6849
mykdee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Just finished cleaning up my bike, and cleaning out the carb, runs great now!
Also installed new Pro-Taper ATV high bars, and Pro-Taper grips, rear view mirrors, had bark busters to install but when I removed them from the package noticed they were used already and stripped, so back to cycle gear for a different set. I will probably just pick up a set Acerbis bark busters instead, also ordering a new Acerbis supermoto fender for it.

Tires will be installed Wednesday.

mykdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #6850
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

ain't she a beauty!

just keep giving her love the way you treat her now!

just a teaser here - I went to the supermoto track

such a blast!!!

the DR did fantastic! even on the OEM tires, I passed a newer supermoto rider on pavement, and passed all the experts in the dirt section hahaha

northsouth15 screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 09:27 PM
Old 06-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #6851
jeffcneal
Adventurer

northsouth15:

Now that's what I'd call a success! When i'm out your way visiting my daughter, I'll bring the bike and you can show me how it's done.

regards,
jeff
Old 06-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #6852
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Hi,
How strong is the DR 200's subframe?

I want to install a full blown expedition rack system for carrying saddle bags and strapping down a 1-gallon gas jug and a tent.

What is the top speed of stock gearing btw?

Can it comfortably cruise at 45 MPH, without buzzing and shaking?

I have a KLX 300, but it's too shaky at 50 MPH. I think the suspension is too stiff for extended dualsporting. The KLX is great on single track, but too bouncy on fire roads and easy trails. I'm hoping the DR 200 would give me the soft, riding on cloud feel.

73Mustang screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 01:15 PM
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #6853
JayGoldstein
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
New tires and handlebar

Tires.
I wanted a tire biased towards pavement riding. Based on reviews on the web and cost I chose the Kenda K761 (which is rated as 80% street & 20% dirt): 90/90-21 front and 120/80-18 rear. I run them at at 27 psi. front and 30 psi rear.

Handlebar.
I wanted one a bit taller and with less pullback than the stock bar. After seeing Wallrat's photo of the CR-High bar on his bike (posting #6694) I decided on that bend. I split the difference cost-wise between a cheap steel bar and a Pro Taper bar and picked the Moose Racing Competition CR-High bend. On my bathroom scale the stock bar came in at 2.5 lbs. (1.1 kg) of road hugging weight. I didn't take time to measure it, but the Moose Racing bar is much lighter.

Impressions after 250 km (155 mi):
Tires
Larger circumference of front tire completely eliminated speedo error (speedo spot on with GPS)!!! Cornering on pavement feels more secure. Rode about 25 km (15 mi) on hard-packed gravel roads at speeds up to 70 km/h (45 mph) -- handled okay (less tread depth than the OE tires may be offset by wider width). Combination of larger circumference rear tire plus 16T sprocket = more relaxed cruising in 90-100 km/h range.

Handlebar
It may be purely psychological, but with slightly wider (by about 5 cm [2 in.]) and straighter bar the DR feels like a bigger motorcycle. Despite lighter weight of the new bar I didn't notice any bothersome vibration. I found that with the throttle being farther forward it felt “heavier” during the first ride. By end of second ride I had adapted to the new feel.

Here's the new look:

JayGoldstein screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 01:50 PM Reason: Trying to insert image using link to Picasa
JayGoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #6854
MacWord
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Testing compression...90 lbs?

Just got a 2000 DR200 with 5800 miles. It runs well, and seems to have plenty of pep. No oil on the spark plug, no oiliness in the exhaust. No smoke.

But in testing the compression, I'm only getting 90 pounds. I'm fairly certain the gauge is accurate. Am I missing something in the process here?
MacWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:51 AM   #6855
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
I might be keeping my DR! My son wants to learn to ride, hes almost 18. What kind of additions could I do to help it from getting messed up in a drop? Its already got hand guards. I was thinking a large rear rack could protect the turn signals. Any other ideas? Maybe some shorty turn signals?

BigCanoe screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 04:59 AM
BigCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote