ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #6991
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Wallrat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Orange County, Ca
Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
I just tried some Rotella T 15w40. No difference to my shifting. Still feels like the clutch is not total disengaging. Still have to rev match to change gear. Very annoying. But mine only has 150 miles odo. Hoping problem will soon go away, like somebody said. I'm abusing the clutch as much as I can to break 'em in faster.

How much free play do you have on the clutch lever when you jiggle it? Measure the gap between the lever and the body when you pull the slack out of the cable but don't cause the lever on the engine to move.


I've run Tusk filters for several years now with no complaints.
__________________
07 565EXC
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #6992
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 99,250
Three millimeters gap at the pivot point is about right. If there's more play, I've noticed the clutch plates dragging resulting in stiff shifting.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #6993
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
How much free play do you have on the clutch lever when you jiggle it? Measure the gap between the lever and the body when you pull the slack out of the cable but don't cause the lever on the engine to move.


I've run Tusk filters for several years now with no complaints.
Measuring at the tip of the lever. I've tried from zero freeplay to 1/2 inch. Even with zero freeplay, the clutch is not totally disengaged.

Also, my hands are too small to reach the lever if it is zero free play. My short fingers prefer at least 1/2 inch free play.

I think my only recourse is to drill another hole on the clutch release arm, closer to the center of rotation. I know this will make the lever feel heavier. Has anyone try to drill it? There's no much metal left to drill. I wonder how much heavier it will feel?

73Mustang screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 11:08 AM
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #6994
JayGoldstein
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
I just tried some Rotella T 15w40. No difference to my shifting. Still feels like the clutch is not total disengaging. Still have to rev match to change gear. Very annoying. But mine only has 150 miles odo. Hoping problem will soon go away, like somebody said. I'm abusing the clutch as much as I can to break 'em in faster.
Up-shifting has never been a problem on my bike. I have had difficulty engaging a lower gear (i.e., can't get into 1st and end up accelerating from a stop in 2nd), especially when the engine is hot. What's frustrating (in terms of finding a fix) is that the problem is intermittent -- it can come and go during the same ride.
__________________
Jay
2009 DR200SE: ManRacks rack, ScreensForBikes windshield, Wolfman tail bag, 16T sprocket, Kenda K761 tires, Moose Racing CR-HI handlebar, Renthal MX grips, Polisport fender.


JayGoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #6995
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,328
Why not just pop the side cover off and find out what is going on with the clutch?

Clutch problems on Suzuki's are rare....I thought...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #6996
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
Measuring at the tip of the lever. I've tried from zero freeplay to 1/2 inch. Even with zero freeplay, the clutch is not totally disengaged.

Also, my hands are too small to reach the lever if it is zero free play. My short fingers prefer at least 1/2 inch free play.

I think my only recourse is to drill another hole on the clutch release arm, closer to the center of rotation. I know this will make the lever feel heavier. Has anyone try to drill it? There's no much metal left to drill. I wonder how much heavier it will feel?
That might be your problem. You want 2-3mm free play between the clutch lever and the HOUSING. Measured where the cable connects to the lever. A simple way is to use a nickel, you should be able to insert a nickel in the gap between the cable end of the clutch lever and the housing.



If you can't reach the levers you could consider getting some adjustable ones that would allow you to have less reach to the lever.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #6997
whipit1k
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: shelby nc
Oddometer: 305
Question concerning the right side "oil drain plug" on the underside of the bike.

I realize now that this is not really an oil drain plug. I see it is supposedly a plug to retain a spring and pin that would apparently ride in a groove in the shift drum.

There was no such spring or pin in my bike when I removed the plug, nor can I find any such items on the microfiche. The "gear shifting" microfiche shows the plug and washer but nothing else. Is it possible that the spring and pin that would interface with the shift drum are not used on this model? I am working on a 1996 DR200SE, and have looked at microfiche for several different model years, none show a pin and spring. thanks in advance
whipit1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #6998
whipit1k
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: shelby nc
Oddometer: 305
I guess I have answered my own question by researching a bit more
There is nothing missing. The DR200 does not use the shift drum cam stop and spring that normally live under this oil drain plug looking bolt. Many similar models such as the SP125 SP200 and DR125se DO use the stopper and spring but for some reason the 200SE does not.

so I did not lose anything doing this oil change aside from several hours of my life...
whipit1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #6999
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 99,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit1k View Post
I guess I have answered my own question by researching a bit more
There is nothing missing. The DR200 does not use the shift drum cam stop and spring that normally live under this oil drain plug looking bolt. Many similar models such as the SP125 SP200 and DR125se DO use the stopper and spring but for some reason the 200SE does not.

so I did not lose anything doing this oil change aside from several hours of my life...

Your effort is appreciated...I never touched that second plug because I wasn't sure if a locating pin was behind it. Good to know it's not there.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #7000
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGoldstein View Post
Up-shifting has never been a problem on my bike. I have had difficulty engaging a lower gear (i.e., can't get into 1st and end up accelerating from a stop in 2nd), especially when the engine is hot. What's frustrating (in terms of finding a fix) is that the problem is intermittent -- it can come and go during the same ride.
when you're at a light in neutral, and the bike won't shift into first, pull in and let go of the clutch, then try shifting into first. if that doesn't work, pop the clutch while in neutral again, then try shifting into first.

sometimes most of the bikes I've ridden need a little push for the bike to go into gear...usually for me this means rocking the bike back and forth, but on the dr I just disengage/engage the clutch once or twice

see if that helps
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #7001
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 394
The problem is definitely not the clutch cable tension. I even once tried adjusting the tension very tight, with no freeplay, but the shifting was still difficult. My cable is set according to the manual now--0.5 inch freeplay at the lever tip. My bike has 200 miles odo now, and it hasn't gotten any better, and gotten slightly worse. I'm going to send the bike back to the dealer.

Btw, the used bike I test drove shifted smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Why not just pop the side cover off and find out what is going on with the clutch?

Clutch problems on Suzuki's are rare....I thought...

73Mustang screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 08:58 AM
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #7002
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 99,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
The problem is definitely not the clutch cable tension. In the dozen of bikes I've owned, I was always able to set the cable tension very loose to accomodate my small hands. You shouldn't have to set the cable so precisely tight to make the shifting work. There's definitely something going on in the clutch. My bike has 200 miles odo now, and it hasn't gotten any better, and gotten slightly worse. I'm going to send the bike back to the dealer.

Btw, the used bike I test drove shifted smoothly.
I know from experience with my DR200 that with the clutch cable misadjusted, the shifting was stiff and difficult. Setting it up according to the manual cleared up the problem.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #7003
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 394
How does evveryone like the Happy Trail side rack?

It's expensive. Is it easy to take off? Is it heavy?

What are draw backs?
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #7004
85suzuki
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: County of Kings, Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
How does evveryone like the Happy Trail side rack?

It's expensive. Is it easy to take off? Is it heavy?

What are draw backs?
I just started using the Giant Loop coyote bag. I like it so far and its easier than coming up with a rack system.
__________________
2013 Honda CB500X
85suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #7005
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85suzuki View Post
I just started using the Giant Loop coyote bag. I like it so far and its easier than coming up with a rack system.
I tried those kind of bag on my KLX. Don't like 'em. Bags too close to muffler. Burned a hole in the bag. Melted the side panels too.
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014