ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #7036
Jodaddy
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Missoula, MT
Oddometer: 75
Did you adjust the fuel mixture yet? I replied to your post on the other forum about the hanging idle. Sounds like it is the same off idle pilot circuit.
Jodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #7037
suseuser
Love to ride
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Nampa Idaho
Oddometer: 124
The jets sure "looked" clean before and after I cleaned them. But, as I stated in my earlier post, the bike had been sitting for a while. Maybe even a couple years. I didn't soak the jets or carb for hours. It was probably 10 or 15 minutes. I guess it might be worth it to tear it back apart and let them sit overnight or longer in carb cleaner.
__________________
Curtis & Sharon Spivey
Nampa, Idaho
2-97 ST1100's,'06 dr200se, '13 dr200se, '05 VFR800
suseuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #7038
suseuser
Love to ride
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Nampa Idaho
Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodaddy View Post
Did you adjust the fuel mixture yet? I replied to your post on the other forum about the hanging idle. Sounds like it is the same off idle pilot circuit.
I haven't messed with the fuel mixture. It's under a cap that you drill out to access, correct? I've notice a few folks say it runs pretty lean.

I don't know if it's related but it also seems to take a few seconds to return to idle after I get off the throttle. I adjusted the knob that controls the idle down a turn or so. And it seemed to help. At least it doesn't get hung up at the higher throttle setting like it used to.
__________________
Curtis & Sharon Spivey
Nampa, Idaho
2-97 ST1100's,'06 dr200se, '13 dr200se, '05 VFR800
suseuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #7039
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 203
ya...hanging idle usually means the idle screw is too high or throttle cable doesn't have enough slack

crank that down and loosen the cable to fix that

did anyone else notice that after replacing the OEM petcock with an aftermarket manual one, the float bowl is empty then next time you start the bike?

if I shut the gas off after I ride, then it's still full and she starts really easily...but if I leave it on, it's empty the next time I start it and I have to crank it over with the starter a fair amount before she starts
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #7040
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 389
Hi

I was changing the rear tire. After I put the wheel back on the swing arm but before I tighten the axle nut, I notice a 1/2-inch freeplay between the wheel and the swing arm. Meaning, the wheel can move left and right on the axle, up to 1/2-inch. Am I missing something?

It's almost like it's missing a spacer. But I did put both right and right side spacers back on properly.

I later tightened the axle bolt, and the swingarm bent inward so there's no more freeplay. Is it suppose to work this way? If so, it's just wierd how huge the tolerance is.
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #7041
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 98,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by suseuser View Post
The jets sure "looked" clean before and after I cleaned them. But, as I stated in my earlier post, the bike had been sitting for a while. Maybe even a couple years. I didn't soak the jets or carb for hours. It was probably 10 or 15 minutes. I guess it might be worth it to tear it back apart and let them sit overnight or longer in carb cleaner.
I'd bet that it simply needs more cleaning. The DR200 has pretty small jets that are fussy and can still be partly blocked even when they appear to open. You wouldn't need to soak the whole carb, just the jets. Wouldn't want to damage rubber or plastic parts.

The idle hanging up could be an air leak.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #7042
fizzman911
n00b
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Oddometer: 1
new to dr200

hi guys! I just bought a 2006 dr200 about 2 weeks ago. I am loving the little bike. I am coming from the sport bike world and currently own a zx6r. I have really enjoyed myself with this small bike and I think I am having more fun with it thay my sport bike. that said, I am having some braking issues. when I first got the bike I realized that the front brakes were very weak so I bought new pads because the old ones were almost all gone. I thought this woukd fix the issue but it didnt. I then bled the brakes but it still didnt do much. thinking it was time for a rebuild I bought new rings and rebuilt the calipers and rebled the brakes. the brakes are still very weak. now I know that they will never be as strong as my zx6rs but I feel like they are too weak. there has to be something wrong. any suggestions on what it could be? I am having to use my front and rear brakes to stop the bike if I am over 50 and need to slow down quickly. I feel like the rear brake is substantially stronger than the front.
fizzman911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #7043
whipit1k
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: shelby nc
Oddometer: 301
I think you are just used to two 310mm rotors with radial mount calipers on a typical sportbike...serious braking power. The DR200 is never, ever going to have (or need) that type of braking power. You could probably improve it a bit with a braided steel line, though
whipit1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #7044
Skowinski
Chordate
 
Skowinski's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Mojave Desert
Oddometer: 4,834
Hanging Idle

No experience with DR200's personally, but I've seen this problem dissapear on 3 different bikes over the years when the pilot/idle circuit was richened up a bit. Two ways, larger pilot jet, or fuel/air screw adjustment.
__________________

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu


In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:23 AM   #7045
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore
 
Sewerat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Brooksdale, ON
Oddometer: 1,227
We have recently purchased a 2007 for the little lady to ride. Nice little bike, today she is going to take it for her M2 road test.
__________________
2009 WR250R "Da Mini Bike"
"That's our colour: mud!"
Sewerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:13 AM   #7046
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,267
Every bike I ever had was like that...




Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
Hi

I was changing the rear tire. After I put the wheel back on the swing arm but before I tighten the axle nut, I notice a 1/2-inch freeplay between the wheel and the swing arm. Meaning, the wheel can move left and right on the axle, up to 1/2-inch. Am I missing something?

It's almost like it's missing a spacer. But I did put both right and right side spacers back on properly.

I later tightened the axle bolt, and the swingarm bent inward so there's no more freeplay. Is it suppose to work this way? If so, it's just wierd how huge the tolerance is.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #7047
suseuser
Love to ride
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Nampa Idaho
Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzman911 View Post
hi guys! I just bought a 2006 dr200 about 2 weeks ago. I am loving the little bike. I am coming from the sport bike world and currently own a zx6r. I have really enjoyed myself with this small bike and I think I am having more fun with it thay my sport bike. that said, I am having some braking issues. when I first got the bike I realized that the front brakes were very weak so I bought new pads because the old ones were almost all gone. I thought this woukd fix the issue but it didnt. I then bled the brakes but it still didnt do much. thinking it was time for a rebuild I bought new rings and rebuilt the calipers and rebled the brakes. the brakes are still very weak. now I know that they will never be as strong as my zx6rs but I feel like they are too weak. there has to be something wrong. any suggestions on what it could be? I am having to use my front and rear brakes to stop the bike if I am over 50 and need to slow down quickly. I feel like the rear brake is substantially stronger than the front.
I noticed the same thing when compared to my VFR. You can pretty much pull that front brake as hard as you want on the DR. If I did that on my VFR I'd be over the handlebars! The brakes on the DR200 are more than adequate for the little bike. It does what it's suppose to do. Down a dirt road you are going to loose traction well before you push the brakes to the limit. BTW, I'm part of the over 50 crowd.
__________________
Curtis & Sharon Spivey
Nampa, Idaho
2-97 ST1100's,'06 dr200se, '13 dr200se, '05 VFR800
suseuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #7048
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,267
I don't think you would want good brakes on a dual sport.
Think out of control, or in soft dirt, sand, nasty down hill trail, you do not want front brakes that lock the wheel with one finger pressure!
Any use of the front brake in the dirt takes very fine control.

The brand and type of pads can change the force needed a bit.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #7049
AdamWayne
n00b
 
AdamWayne's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 3
Eh?

hey all, noobie here. I have a 99' and just rolled past the 4k mile mark! Great bike i have the 16t front sprocket, led signals, and some folding mirrors and otherwise stock.

My bike when idling at a stop light or in neutral will eventually idle slower and slower and slower till it dies, it will usually fire right back up but I can usually smell a hint of gas.

Had the carb out and cleaned what i could under the top cap, there is a stripped screw on the bottom so i cant get at the jets. I also ordered a petcock with shutoff cause my oil level seemed to rise.

Where should i start to get the thing to not stall at intersections?
AdamWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #7050
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 389
I just rejeted my carb. Those float bowl screws were super duper tight from the factory. Had to use a vise griper to twist 'em off. Carefully.
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014