Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #7231
suseuser
Love to ride

Oddometer: 115
I had a chance to do some long, steep, mountains with switch backs this weekend. I was a little confused as to what rpm to be running. I know it's not good to lug any motor. And it's especially true with the little DR. But sometimes I felt like I was rodding the guts out of it. When I was in what felt like the "power band" it definitely felt it was time to shift. Is there a rpm range that goes beyond the safe zone while climbing? There were many occasions when I needed a gear somewhere in between what I had available. Still I had a great weekend going down some goat trails that I would be hesitant to hike! I should have taken video of some very extreme terrain.
suseuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #7232
Norm12
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
It will be interesting to hear a more refined definition of choked down as one always learns something from asking questions of folks who obviously know things.

In the mean time, that post finally kicked my lazy butt so ran the bike down a section of highway where it reached indicated 65 mph. Brought it home, rolled the bottom of the carb to the right side, dropped the float bowl and found the main jet to be #125 (stock) as expected. Nothing in that size range in my jets so dug out an extra #110 and ran a #54 drill through. Installed, removed the airbox lid and saw 72 mph indicated.

Hated the airbox noise so put a 1/2" spacer (wide tie wrap) around the "Y shaped" wire peg which is just behind the rear edge of the airbox lid to space the lid up at the back. Wrapped a pair of long tie wraps around the frame rails and across the airbox lid to hold down onto the spacer. Now the box lid is open about 1/2" across the back, noise down quite a bit and still 72 mph so will leave it as is.

Not much question that the air box is very restrictive but that was expected, given the quality of the reports here. I prefer to avoid cutting up original parts if another way can be found as have seen many cases in which it was desired to go back to stock.

Maybe this duplication of the already well reported modifications are of use to someone.

Also sprayed all accessible wiring plugs with Fluid Film (a wax based product) to exclude moisture/corrosion, checked valve clearances, plug now a nice darker brown. Forgot to check alternator output but another day...

Valve clearance checks are simple as pie on this bike if one has decent feelers.

HIH

Norm

Norm12 screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 07:00 PM Reason: Mystyped speed as 68 mph, should have been 65
Norm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #7233
Norm12
Adventurer

Not much choice but to run wide open throttle and keep the revs up. The little plan doesn't have much power. Quite a change from the ST1100, but was putting around and past the gravel where set my ST on its side a couple of years ago so enough said. (VBG)

I'm missing mine but just wasn't riding. We likely crossed paths on some of the ST groups.

I'm the guy who posted tons of tech articles and the one who does ABS brake modulator repairs, FWIW.

Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by suseuser View Post
I had a chance to do some long, steep, mountains with switch backs this weekend. I was a little confused as to what rpm to be running. I know it's not good to lug any motor. And it's especially true with the little DR. But sometimes I felt like I was rodding the guts out of it. When I was in what felt like the "power band" it definitely felt it was time to shift. Is there a rpm range that goes beyond the safe zone while climbing? There were many occasions when I needed a gear somewhere in between what I had available. Still I had a great weekend going down some goat trails that I would be hesitant to hike! I should have taken video of some very extreme terrain.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:45 AM   #7234
2 spoke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Thankyou . I suspected that was going to be the answer . What i had meant " by choked down" was that the motor its self has more power potential than it does . And when on the road trying to roll on the gas from mid throttle was unresponsive . I understand were not talking huge HP gains here but just to allow it all the air it needs . example are older 80's V8's with vacuum controlled emissions Thankyou again you answered my question .
2 spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:51 AM   #7235
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm12 View Post
Not much choice but to run wide open throttle and keep the revs up. The little plan doesn't have much power. Quite a change from the ST1100, but was putting around and past the gravel where set my ST on its side a couple of years ago so enough said. (VBG)

I'm missing mine but just wasn't riding. We likely crossed paths on some of the ST groups.

I'm the guy who posted tons of tech articles and the one who does ABS brake modulator repairs, FWIW.

Norm
I'm thinking you are the same Norm that was posting a lot of good tech info on the GSR forum for a while....

That Norm had a similar writing style.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #7236
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
I ran without the airbox cover, and the bike sounds so noisy. At half throttle, it makes this really nasty resonnance sound. I put the cover back on. Rather have 2 less horsepower than live with that awful sound.

Does drilling holes in the airbox sound better?
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #7237
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailrider200 View Post
all I did was drill out the epa plates, removed the epa metal noise screen inside of the airfilter, opened the idle mixture screw to 3 turns out and went up 1 main jet size. big difference in the top end and all around ridng. with the exhaust now I can feel the exhaust stream a few ft from the end with my hand, before its was less than a ft. these oem mufflers are really choked down.
I thought the metal screen was to prevent airfilter fire.
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #7238
suseuser
Love to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
I ran without the airbox cover, and the bike sounds so noisy. At half throttle, it makes this really nasty resonnance sound. I put the cover back on. Rather have 2 less horsepower than live with that awful sound.

I'm in the same camp as you. I think the sound of the DR is horrendous with the cover removed. I was doing hours of 3/4 to wide open throttle last weekend and it was just annoying. Not worth any HP gains IMO. I'm putting the cover back on and plan on reinstalling the stock jets. I never noticed that my DR was running all that lean. BTW, I have my wifes' new DR200se to do a side by side comparison and hers actually runs better stock than mine does with the bigger jets and air box lid removal. Some folks just like to tinker with their vehicles and enjoy it. I don't.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #7239
suseuser
Love to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm12 View Post

Norm
I thought I remembered your name. I still think the ST1100 is the finest bike that was ever made. And I've had a chance to ride a lot of bikes. My VFR is fun but I wouldn't trade it for the ST. I like my ST1100 even better than the newer ST1300. My wife had the 1300 for a while and I didn't like the Ergonomics of the bike. It just didn't "fit" me. I think there is that one bike that suits your riding style and physical attributes. And for me it is the ST1100.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #7240
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,393
Quote:

I couldn't stand it without the lid, either. I have a two inch hole in the lid now. It's much more satisfactory.

I've got the Kientech jet kit in the carb. The main thing it provides is improved driveability when the engine is cold...an important improvement for me because of the constant short trips I put the bike through. I really do live on the 200.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #7241
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
I thought the metal screen was to prevent airfilter fire.
a fire can only happen it the engine backfires thru the carb, which really can't happen with an electronic ignition, but with a points ignition plus yrs ago with the points ignition the screens where never such a tight mesh as they are today.
epa noise requirements deal also with the intake which really can be louder than the exhaust.

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #7242
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:

the oem holes in the airbox provide more than enough area for airflow to the carb. they have more area than the carb throat.

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #7243
Norm12
Adventurer

That would be me. I have posted to quite a number of motorcycle, automotive, marine groups over the years. Over 10,000 posts to one group as I recall. (VBG)

If one can help others by explaining something then it is a pleasure.

Take care,

Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
I'm thinking you are the same Norm that was posting a lot of good tech info on the GSR forum for a while....

That Norm had a similar writing style.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #7244
Norm12
Adventurer

The ST1100 and KLR650 are, IMO, the finest motorcycles on the road. Others may disagree and I don't mind that they are wrong.

Never liked the ST1300 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suseuser View Post
I thought I remembered your name. I still think the ST1100 is the finest bike that was ever made. And I've had a chance to ride a lot of bikes. My VFR is fun but I wouldn't trade it for the ST. I like my ST1100 even better than the newer ST1300. My wife had the 1300 for a while and I didn't like the Ergonomics of the bike. It just didn't "fit" me. I think there is that one bike that suits your riding style and physical attributes. And for me it is the ST1100.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #7245
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailrider200 View Post
the oem holes in the airbox provide more than enough area for airflow to the carb. they have more area than the carb throat.

Adding holes or omitting the cover affects the mixture.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote