Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #7276
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by suseuser View Post
Is there somewhere online that has speed limit listings by road? I'm trying to plan a long trip where the speed limit does not exceed 55 mph. I know there has to be a site somewhere. A GPS has to get it's speed limit information from some database. Riding the DR at 65 mph is not a fun experience for even a short distance. The times I have hit 65 mph, it was on a long, flat stretch of road with no headwind!

I've come to realize that the little DR will be confined to riding around town and being hauled to campgrounds. That's the real reason I bought the DR200 in the first place.
If you use your gps software, like Basecamp and tell it to avoid interstates and national highways. That's the default for my "Motorcycling" profile, if I'm in the car I just use the "Driving" profile which routes you on the major roads.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #7277
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
...you be far better off starting with an actual trail bike like a KTM 200SX weighing in at 209lbs to start, there's 68lbs right there plus you get a way more powerful motor, quality suspension that will make the trails fun to ride....
KTM's are far more than what I need for trail riding. I'm talking about recreational trail riding, not racing hare scramble.
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #7278
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Cutting a peg off here and there isn't going to add up to 30 lbs.
The electric motor, battery and associated wiring combined is very heavy.

My old XR200 (kick start) is 15 pounds lighter than the CRF230f (electric start).

The CRF230L (street legal) is 30 pounds more than the CRF230F (trail bike).

73Mustang screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 12:24 PM
Old 08-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #7279
suseuser
Love to ride

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Seriously? Cutting a peg off here and there isn't going to add up to 30 lbs. Plus you still have a heavy frame, 14hp motor, and dated marginal suspension. Sure might shave a lb or two removing lights and passenger pegs etc., but then it's a trail bike you want, right? Better install a skid plate (lbs), case guards (lbs), probably want to carry some tools and tubes (more lbs)... The little DR is good at what it does, but based on your goal, wouldn't you be far better off starting with an actual trail bike like a KTM 200SX weighing in at 209lbs to start, there's 68lbs right there plus you get a way more powerful motor, quality suspension that will make the trails fun to ride. Just seems like a lot of work for little to no benefit when much better options are out there.

This may seem like a knock on the DR200 but it isn't, my wife loves hers and has a blast on it, I just don't see the point on trying to make it something it isn't.
+1
It's not a knock on the DR200. Like I have stated earlier, "it-is-what-it-is." It is a great little bike to ride around town. And it does a great job running down forest and single track roads. It meets all my expectations: low seat height, lightweight, inexpensive (I paid $1800 for a sub-2000 mile bike), great gas mileage, easy to work on and a nice commuter bike for my 4 mile round trip to work. I have a nice big touring bike and sport bike. I love them. And I have ridden them 10's of thousands of miles. But, they are heavy and awkward. The DR200 is the one I ride everyday. Now if I rode exclusively off road on rough terrain, the DR200 would not be my first choice. But then again, my stumpy little legs need the lower seat height.
suseuser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #7280
suseuser
Love to ride

Quote:
If you use your gps software, like Basecamp and tell it to avoid interstates and national highways. That's the default for my "Motorcycling" profile, if I'm in the car I just use the "Driving" profile which routes you on the major roads.

I'm using MapSource for Garmin. I selected my preferences but for some reason it always chooses the interstate. I ended up just dragging the route and adding the Interstate as a "avoidance". It still would be nice to actually know what the speed limits are on these roads. I will have to pick up Basecamp when I get my new GPS. I'm currently using an old Garmin V.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #7281
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by suseuser View Post
I'm using MapSource for Garmin. I selected my preferences but for some reason it always chooses the interstate. I ended up just dragging the route and adding the Interstate as a "avoidance". It still would be nice to actually know what the speed limits are on these roads. I will have to pick up Basecamp when I get my new GPS. I'm currently using an old Garmin V.
Basecamp is a free download from Garmin and their new supported software.

http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp

Good tips on using Basecamp in this thread...
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=899796

Mapsource is being phased out and while Basecamp isn't quite as good as Mapsource, it's getting there. Some old Mapsource users complain about the basecamp interface but like anything, spend some time, learn it and it can be a useful tool. I'm fortunate I guess in that I never learned MapSource, I used to spend all my time in Delorme Topo and if you can figure that software out you can figure anything out. Quirky but powerful.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #7282
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
I was told I can order a kit from Suzuki. Haven't checked it out yet.
I don't think there is a "kit", but looking at the prices for the kickstart parts from an old DR200 or a DR-Z125 (appear to be same parts) you would be looking at over $400.00 in parts. If you took off all of the street legal stuff, then added the weight of the kickstarter parts, I doubt you would save more than 20 lbs, if you can actually eliminate the battery.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #7283
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchristian View Post
I don't own my DR200 anymore, but I skim through this thread every so often. Unless you are really stuck with your DR for some reason, I wouldn't bother trying to use it as a platform for serious offroad riding. It's a great little dual-sport for messing around though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
Why not? If I can knock 30 pounds off this bike by stripping off the street legal stuff, it would be sweet little trail bike.

I have to agree with Mrchristian here, and I'm the 1st guy to say that the DR needs a diet! You say you are just doing recreational trail riding, what do you think the DR is?

Try a Shorai battery and new handlebars - that's good for 5 lbs (and significantly lowers your center of gravity). Put in some Tubeliss and save another 6-8 lbs depending on what sort of tubes you used - and since that's unsprung and rotating mass, the effect is 4x as great. That puts you at -30~lbs for $400~ and you still have e-start.

Wallrat screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 07:57 PM
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #7284
Joelness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Over 600 miles on the litle DR in the last three days; performed flawlessly.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #7285
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelness View Post

Why wouldn't it?
Old 08-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #7286
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouth15 View Post
now I'm having worse issues - bike starts cold, idles fine. Take it for a ride about 2-3 mins down the road and the low throttle response disappears. As a matter of fact, anything below 1/4' throttle and the bike dies. And if you let it drop too low in the rpm range, a handful of throttle doesn't save it. So the only way to keep the bike moving is 1/2-WOT and you gotta keep the rpm's up.

any ideas?

I put in a new plug...and it comes out black every time. Not wet black, but a dry black
ok I figured this issue out - if the bike idles, it's not the pilot jet

turns out, it's the spring that pushes the throttle slide/needle down. It sits on a plastic ring, which sits on the needle and pushes it down when the throttle is closed. This plastic ring fell out (but why?), so when I went WOT with the throttle, the slide went up, but the needle did not. The bike was starving for gas

put the plastic ring back underneath the spring (or maybe it threads into the spring?), and voila, low-mid throttle came back and she continued to do standup wheelies on the back pegs
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #7287
suseuser
Love to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouth15 View Post
ok I figured this issue out - if the bike idles, it's not the pilot jet

turns out, it's the spring that pushes the throttle slide/needle down. It sits on a plastic ring, which sits on the needle and pushes it down when the throttle is closed. This plastic ring fell out (but why?), so when I went WOT with the throttle, the slide went up, but the needle did not. The bike was starving for gas

put the plastic ring back underneath the spring (or maybe it threads into the spring?), and voila, low-mid throttle came back and she continued to do standup wheelies on the back pegs
I had the exact same thing happen. I ordered a new plastic "ring" which to me actually looks like a disk. I don't know if the previous owner had taken the carb apart or I lost it the first time I took it apart. I have mine just sitting on top of the spring. Maybe it does get threaded into the spring. I just put it back on the bottom like you. It really can't go anywhere.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #7288
suseuser
Love to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelness View Post
That's crazy. I'm guessing they were street miles. 200 miles of dirt a day would take me a long time! The last time I went out in the dirt it took me all day to ride 50 miles. But, over 90% of it was in first and second gear. Yesterday I took a trip from Nampa, Idaho to Silver City, Idaho http://goo.gl/maps/y28ji
I was in my 2WD Crew Cab Tundra. I could have used the DR's! I think I added a few new rattles and squeaks to the truck.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #7289
Joelness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Yes mostly street. Some checking fencelines but mostly highway 101 down the Oregon coast.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #7290
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

I love the old school-ness of my DR.

My nearly brand new DR fell off the trailer as I was pulling out of the parking lot. It landed upside down and got dragged for a while. I was pissed. I thought there's going to be hundreds of dollars in damage. Guess what $30 later, my DR is mechanically as good as new. The headlight cover and front of the mirrors got scratched up but it's only cosmetic. Only mechanical thing that broke was the mount on the back of the instrument panel. I thought $%*&! this is going to cost. Turns out, Suzuki sell separately the parts to the instrument panel. Man, it was only $30 shipped.

I wonder what would have happened if I had a CRF250 or XT250. I looked at RockyMTnATV. You can't git the the parts individually on those two bikes. You have to buy the whole instrument panel. $250 and $300 for those two bikes.

Man, I'm so happy my DR uses old school instrument.

Remember that next time you think you want those cool looking electronic instrument.