Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #7321
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger View Post
...and IIRC has said he'd provide parts but not do the work on another one, after rigging inmate Shellie's Superbug ...something about it being a royal PITA
Hi Tony

You recall correctly. The Superbug was a PIA when it came to upgrading the suspension (and it wasn't cheap ). Parts aren't readily available for the DR200, some things had to be fabricated, and it was difficult to install. Sadly Sasquatch has relocated and is no longer available for suspension work or advise.

The upside for the Superbug is what a differance it made I feel very fortunate that I was able to get it done. If anyone else can do suspension work on a DR200 I would say it would be Alex at Konflict Motorsport he seems to have a good handle on things that aren't standard. He set the suspension up for the Outta Sight Racing's Honda SL350 for the Mexican 1000 year before last and did a great job with it.

Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #7322
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Creek View Post
I own a DR200 and I have a question that I don't think was addressed in this thread. First let me explain how I use my bike. We own a Truck Camper and we bought this bike so that we could have transportation around camp, to explore around the towns we visit and to explore forest service roads and such.

90% of the time I will use it on the back roads and dirt trails around my house. 10% of the time we will use it when traveling with our truck camper.

The 10% will be ridden 2up.

So here is my question. Is there any way to stiffen the rear suspension beyond tightening the nut on the spring. I have already stiffened it as much as it will go. We are not big people but with my wife and I on it, the bike sags more than I would like.

Any ideas? An aftermarket spring? A large spacer?

Thanks

Mike

front springs
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229927&page=163

rear shock
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229927&highlight=windshield&page=45

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #7323
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
I don't have any idea what these links you posted are, but i have to get a better suspension for my wife's DR200. Either that or a better dirtbike. It's really rocky around here, she keeps getting stuck and falling over, or getting bounced off her line and dumping it. She is not happy with this. She is very much a beginner and the terrain around here is not easy.

She won't go here:

Is there a better shock off some MX bike that fits the DR, or better modern forks from some other little bike, or are we just stuck with the crap suspension Suzuki put on it?

I'd like to at least take her here:

What have you guys done to improve your 200s?
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #7324
2 spoke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
If you click on the front suspension link and then scroll down to the bottom of the page . You will find that a Honda 125 is a duplicate and will fit .
2 spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #7325
2 spoke
Adventurer

Talking

But to add to the conversation , Could you use a front end (triple clamps, forks ,brakes,ect ) from another bike ? everything from the headset bearing forward ? that way you could get some compression and rebound adjustments
Old 09-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #7326
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 spoke View Post
If you click on the front suspension link and then scroll down to the bottom of the page . You will find that a Honda 125 is a duplicate and will fit .
Can you please list the post number? I don't think we all have the same posts on the same pages.

Is the Honda 125 a better shock?

Like this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Honda-C...579626&vxp=mtr

Quote:
But to add to the conversation , Could you use a front end (triple clamps, forks ,brakes,ect ) from another bike ? everything from the headset bearing forward ? that way you could get some compression and rebound adjustments
I could, have been looking on ebay. I would rather just find forks that fit, maybe early cartridge forks for a small bike, or were they all bigger than 35mm? Just need one that fits.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:56 AM   #7327
2 spoke
Adventurer

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...&page=163http: //www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229927&highlight=windshield&page=45
Old 09-03-2013, 03:57 AM   #7328
2 spoke
Adventurer

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...shield&page=45
Old 09-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #7329
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...&page=163http: //www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229927&highlight=windshield&page=45
This is just a link to the top of this page...

Quote:
I read the whole page, from post #4401 to #4500, there's nothing about shocks...

Could you please give the post number of what you are referring to?
Or just explain what it says?

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #7330
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Fixing to buy a complete RM125 front end off ebay, anyone done this?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #7331
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
This is just a link to the top of this page...

I read the whole page, from post #4401 to #4500, there's nothing about shocks...

Could you please give the post number of what you are referring to?
Or just explain what it says?

Thanks!
if u click on the links I provided and scroll down some u will see the posts. pg 45 does not have posts 4400 to 4500.

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #7332
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Enough with the guessing games. Does anyone have any useful information?
Old 09-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #7333
LumberingJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Fixing to buy a complete RM125 front end off ebay, anyone done this?
I've seen one with an USD YZ 125 front end made to fit, it actually didn't look too bad.

My worry with lifting the front too much would be that it would throw all the geometry out if the rear wasn't lifted the same.

I wondered if a set of older RM80 big wheel forks would work as they are the same stanchion diameter and should give a bit more travel and be more tweakable.

I've got a spare set of standard yokes (off an 88/89 DR200) sat on the shelf if you want any dimensions of the steerer tube for when looking at other sets to look at fitting?
LumberingJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #7334
LumberingJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Finally managed to suss a way of putting some photos in:

The yellow one is a 1988 DR 125 - it's a bit of a budget racer that's slowly getting out of hand. Bought it as a junker but decided it was too good to chop up so keep riding it. The pic with the proper headlight shows how it is now.

The black one is a 2000 DR 125 but I've had a 1993 200 Djebel engine in it for a while (this is the one with the misfire)

LumberingJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #7335
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
My dad just picked up a WR250R and I tried to compare it to the little DR. TBH despite similar displacement, you really can't get 2 bikes that are more different. Obviously the WR is more performance oriented in every way, but it's also 3x the price of what you can get a barely used DR for. That said, nicely modded 2008+ WR's are going for about the same as what a new DR200 would cost. Guess I'm just throwing this out here for any guys that are considering a new DR200 purchase.

Power - WR feels closer to my old XR400 than it does to the DR. Certainly would never think this was a 250. But its one of the smoothest deliveries I've ever felt and doesn't have any surprises. My 63 year old dad is riding this thing after having not been on a bike in 40 years and he's loving it.

Suspension - its typical of stock MX bike suspension. Good, but needs to be setup for the rider. The DR rides like a shopping cart by comparison.

Handling - very easy to ride and feels 40lbs lighter than its 295lbs. The stock tires are TW302's though so it grips like they were made of cheese. Does well in tight trails and has a very good turning radius. Didn't get much of a chance to really air it out through desert terrain yet.

Maintenance - haven't explored too much but stuff is semi-easy to get to, and with a 26,600 mile valve adjustment interval, I'm not expecting I'll have to tear into this engine much.

Height - its a big boy. Pretty close to my 450 KTM actually. I ordered a shorter/wider/more comfortable seat, a lowering link, and the stock rear shock mount can be adjusted about 5/8" lower. Once I lower the forks a bit to get the geometry right I should be looking at a seat height about 2.75" lower than stock. I have a 30" inseam and its comfortable for me, but I cant flatfoot unless I'm leaning it onto my thigh.

Rideability - Its extremely quiet, rides excellent on the street, rides ok offroad due to shoddy grip of stock tires, but will be one hell of a bike once those are replaced. There are a ton of aftermarket parts to set it up to the way you ride and the engine lasts forever. If you're considering a new DR200, I'd suggest you check out the used WRR market and see if you can manage the height - it's one hell of a bike.

Wallrat screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 08:37 PM
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote