Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #7351
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
I felt that way back in my days of the XR400 but then I realized that in 22 years of riding and always having at least 1 bike that's water cooled I've yet to have a problem with the cooling system. I've bent a few radiators, but never had a blown hose or leak. I suppose it only takes once but that's pretty good odds IMO.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #7352
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
I felt that way back in my days of the XR400 but then I realized that in 22 years of riding and always having at least 1 bike that's water cooled I've yet to have a problem with the cooling system. I've bent a few radiators, but never had a blown hose or leak. I suppose it only takes once but that's pretty good odds IMO.
Your EXC doesn't get too hot and spew coolant in the slower more technical sections?
Mine does.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #7353
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,406
Quote:
My fan housing warped on my Tiger 800XC on a dual sport ride last fall. Over heated and I had to spend the next three days "bump starting" my fan every time I saw my temp gauge climb. Didn't leave me stranded but was a major pita. That and a few other discoveries have relegated the Tiger to street bike status, my DR is also just more fun on trails. Funny how people worry about air or air/oil cooled bikes over heating when I've never had any of our air cooled bikes, sleds, etc over heat.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #7354
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Your EXC doesn't get too hot and spew coolant in the slower more technical sections?
Mine does.

Nope. I've got a switch-controlled fan that I run when the going is slow and I added a coolant return bottle http://rlrproducts.com/index.html. I also run Engine Ice mostly b/c I have yet to figure out how to change the coolant on the bike without spilling some - Engine Ice is non-toxic, biodegradable, and supposedly keeps your bike ~10-20F cooler. I've had it out in 90+ weather and didn't spill a drop.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #7355
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
How big is the reserve on the DR?

The bike started to run funny. So I switched to reserve and went to fill up. Filled tank to the brim with 2.5 gallons. Since the tank is supposedly 3.4 gallon, is the reserve 0.9 gallon? That much?
main 2.7
res 0.7

= 3.4

my reserve is spot on.

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #7356
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Radiator is cheaper than a DR gas tank if you tip over, but the tank is more likely to survive without a leak.
I somehow punched a hole in my KDX radiator. It's over $300 for one side.
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #7357
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I somehow punched a hole in my KDX radiator. It's over $300 for one side.

Reviews say these are better than most stock radiators: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/.../414/-/956360/

Fit a wide range of bikes incl the KDX.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #7358
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Motocross Tires

Hey guys and gals,
I'm thinking about doing the LAB2V ride during Thanksgiving. I've read it's pretty much two long days of sand, more sand, and deep sand. So, I think the stock OEM tires need to come off. I happen to have a pair of Bridegstone Motocross tires from my KDX. These are bigger than DR's OEM tires. But will these work good on the DR for desert sand? Thanks!

Bridgestone specs:

front: 80/100x21
rear: 100/100x18

[edit]: These tires are no go. The width of the front tire barely clear the fork boots. They'll get tear up I 'm sure.
I haven't check the back tire, but I'm afraid it'll hit the muffler.

73Mustang screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 10:38 AM
Old 09-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #7359
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,105
Quote:
Hey guys and gals,
I'm thinking about doing the LAB2V ride during Thanksgiving. I've read it's pretty much sand, more sand, and deep sand. So, I think the stock OEM tires need to come off. I happen to have a pair of Bridegstone Motocross tires from my KDX. Will these fit on the DR? Thanks!

80/100x21
100/100x18
I'd try for a wider tire and airing down the tires when on sand.I would rather try to stay on top with a larger contact patch than to dig in and get sucked down with a small skinny tire.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #7360
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey guys and gals,
I'm thinking about doing the LAB2V ride during Thanksgiving. I've read it's pretty much two long days of sand, more sand, and deep sand. So, I think the stock OEM tires need to come off. I happen to have a pair of Bridegstone Motocross tires from my KDX. These are bigger than DR's OEM tires. But will these work good on the DR for desert sand? Thanks!

Bridgestone specs:

front: 80/100x21
rear: 100/100x18

I'm doing the ride as well (my 2nd time), and yeah lots of sand and rocks. I'd definitely ditch the stock tires - last year tech didn't even look to see if people were running DOT tires, I expect it'll be the same this year. As far as the ride, you probably won't need to take the adventure bike bypasses but I'd highly recommend you avoid all of the hard ways.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #7361
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
400 miles on a dr200se!!!!

damn...I doubt I could do more than 30 miles in one day in the desert

what happens if you break down?

and how do you get back from vegas back to where you dropped your bike off?
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #7362
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouth15 View Post
400 miles on a dr200se!!!!

damn...I doubt I could do more than 30 miles in one day in the desert

what happens if you break down?

and how do you get back from vegas back to where you dropped your bike off?

3 guys did the ride on CT-90's last year just to see if it could be done. They made it (although they did have to swap engine's on 1 of the bikes midway). There's a lot of sand but the majority of the main route is washes and improved dirt roads that a Toyota Corolla could handle.

You need to be self-reliant for trail side repairs. Spare cables, tubes, levers - pretty much everything you need to do most minor repairs and a few moderate ones. In addition you want to have provisions to spend the night just in case it comes to that. There's a sweep team that stays behind the last rider to assist anyone that breaks down but they're more about towing you to the nearest highway.

People make arrangements to get their bikes home from Vegas. Some folks carpool and drop 1 vehicle off in Vegas and take another to Palmdale. A lot of guys (like myself) have a wife that drive's out with the trailer and will offer to transport other people's bikes to Palmdale and home from Vegas for a small donation towards gas expenses. A few ride home.

Wallrat screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 10:48 AM
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #7363
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Reviews say these are better than most stock radiators: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/.../414/-/956360/

Fit a wide range of bikes incl the KDX.

I proved you can punch a hole in the radiator while on the trail. All I did was drop the bike at zero speed on a hill. I had to drag the bike a bit before I could pick it up. I boogied back to the truck as soon as I saw it dripping. Luckily, basecamp was only a mile away.

If you're racing enduros with a big budget, the extra power from liquid cooling outweighs the chances it get hit, leak, and overheat. But for recreational riders on a shoe string budget, no.

73Mustang screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 10:57 AM
Old 09-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #7364
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
...I'd highly recommend you avoid all of the hard ways.
Why? Due to low ground clearance of the DR? Not enough power for big nasty hill climbs?
Old 09-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #7365
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,159
Quote:
Why? Due to low ground clearance of the DR? Not enough power for big nasty hill climbs?
Meh, a good rider can take a DR 200 to the most difficult places. My 6'3" buddy took my wife's DR 200 up a bunch of rocky 12,000' passes, steep slopes, water crossings and all kinds of fun stuff. Won't keep up with KTM but it will get you most anywhere.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote