Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #7471
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliandres View Post
Hey thanks! Yeah I plan to ride it until I graduate and can upgrade haha. And as far as trail riding, how does it handle?
It's got a bit of a primitive suspension, but with some skill, it'll make it through most anything.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #7472
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
It's got a bit of a primitive suspension, but with some skill, it'll make it through most anything.
My wife does way better on her DR200 than I ever do on my DR650.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #7473
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
My wife does way better on her DR200 than I ever do on my DR650.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Smaller is generally better in the rough stuff.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #7474
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Hey thanks! Yeah I plan to ride it until I graduate and can upgrade haha. And as far as trail riding, how does it handle?
If your of average size...very nice!

I'm a bit bigger than that and just last week did just over 100 miles of forest road and ATV trail riding. A friend brought his wife's TW200 and I had my wife's DR200....we had a blast.

We both left KLR's at home. These little bikes can take you just about anywhere...may not be the fastest...but arguably might be the most fun!

In a couple of very rocky sections...I was concerned about the OEM engine protection. Be cautious as the engine case sticks out enough to take a hit...as it was my kickstand spring catch pin was snapped off by a rock hit...a simple reweld job fixed it but a bash plate would have prevented it.

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #7475
juliandres
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAW3 View Post
If your of average size...very nice!

I'm a bit bigger than that and just last week did just over 100 miles of forest road and ATV trail riding. A friend brought his wife's TW200 and I had my wife's DR200....we had a blast.

We both left KLR's at home. These little bikes can take you just about anywhere...may not be the fastest...but arguably might be the most fun!

In a couple of very rocky sections...I was concerned about the OEM engine protection. Be cautious as the engine case sticks out enough to take a hit...as it was my kickstand spring catch pin was snapped off by a rock hit...a simple reweld job fixed it but a bash plate would have prevented it.
Oh that's awesome man glad you were able to enjoy it! I'm 5'9" and 140 lbs so i'm relatively short, but I can't wait to get started as this will be my first bike!
juliandres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:26 AM   #7476
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,606
Enjoy that first bike. First bikes are the best.

I do everything with my DR200SE and love every minute on it. For me it does it all, even though it doesn't have much in the way of a top speed. I also have a F650GS (single) but more times than not prefer to take the DR200 out. I even tour on it although that touring is done on backroad which just make it that much better.

Last month I did a 900 mile tour on the 200, riding the Magruder Cooridor and the Lolo Motorway in Northern ID (there was a little MT in there too).

GO DR200s GO
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #7477
Magestyk
Bicycle NINJA

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Not sure about the Rox footpegs, but I installed a pair of PivotPegz on my wife's DR200 and she loves them way better than the stock razor blades she had to stand on.
Like the width of those pegs you posted, but I'm not sure about the pivot part. I would need to try them for a while for me to pull the trigger on a pair. Do they make a non-pivot pegs?
Old 10-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #7478
LumberingJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:

Firstly, just really curious is there a difference between a dr200 and a dr200SE? I'm assuming one is a special edition? and what does the dr stand for anyway?
As far as I know, the SE's are all electric start (well they are in Europe anyway).
LumberingJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #7479
juliandres
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Does anyone know where I can buy a white front fender for a 2003 dr200?

I have been trying to find one online but haven't been getting lucky, anyone have any good resources?
juliandres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #7480
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magestyk View Post
Like the width of those pegs you posted, but I'm not sure about the pivot part. I would need to try them for a while for me to pull the trigger on a pair. Do they make a non-pivot pegs?
Nope, that's their claim to fame. Once you've tried them you'd probably never go back to regular pegs. I have a set of wider (fixed) pegs on my DR650 and the PivotPegz on our DR200 are way better. You are basically pivoting your foot on the peg to shift/brake etc. but just tilting your boot on the peg. With the PivotPegz you're doing the exact same motion but your boot stays planted fully on the peg at all times. Feels weird for about 5 seconds, then you realize that ALL pegs should do this, especially if you stand on the pegs at all. We do a lot of standing when riding the DRs so these are a great upgrade.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #7481
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,162
Quote:
Does anyone know where I can buy a white front fender for a 2003 dr200?

I have been trying to find one online but haven't been getting lucky, anyone have any good resources?
Stay on top of ebay or go aftermarket if ones offered.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #7482
mr.jadkowski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I am (hopefully) going to pick up one of these wee beasties soon, either a '96 or a 2006. I'm looking for some kind of inspection checklist to use on the bike before I buy it. Are there any particular known problem areas that I'll be able to inspect externally?
mr.jadkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #7483
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,642
The only chronic problem I have seen mentioned here is bad vacuum petcocks causing fuel leakage, and the occasional squeaky rear suspension.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #7484
Mostrogirl
Looking for adventure.

Oddometer: 45
Triple Clamp Tork Specs

By chance does anyone have or know where to find the Tork Specs?
Old 10-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #7485
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostrogirl View Post
By chance does anyone have or know where to find the Tork Specs?
According to my manual, 21 ft-lb for both upper and lower triple clamp bolts. Or 2.9 Newton-meters.