Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #7561
juliandres
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Not a joke, and practice feeling for the petcock with your left hand while you're riding. So you automatically know where it is and which way to turn it, that way when the bike sputters as it's running out of gas, you can usually just reach down and flip the petcock onto reserve *before* it dies completely.

Glance at your trip meter to see where you went onto reserve, and try to fill up *before* then next time. Welcome, ride safe, and don't forget to smile. Did you take or are you planning to take a Basic Rider Course?
Awesome man, its stuff like this that I would not thought of but when someone tells you its game changing haha! And yeah I took my MSF this summer but haven't rode since this week when I got my bike haha.
juliandres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #7562
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
It's a DR200, not a Ducati race bike. I think we'll get him working the basics before we worry about the last 15% of perfection?

A couple months ago I was cleaning out my garage and realized that I had 6, yes 6, pen style tire pressure gauges. Ironic since I use a quality gauge for my tires and mostly get these things lumped in with air compressor stuff or w/e. Anyway so to see how accurate they were I put them on the front tire of my dad's bike which I knew to be exactly at 15psi. The range? 6-24psi on the cheapo Walmart gauges...

Its not a race bike, but that's the difference between a pinch flat and not.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #7563
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,668
I conducted a similar test with all my pen-style gauges. They all came in within a pound or two of each other. I was quite surprised.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #7564
75monza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliandres View Post
Idk if this is a joke or not... but I dig it
Totally not a joke. I do it that way too.

You really do need to know where the petcock is and how it works. That way when you are going down the highway, you can flip it to reserve while going 60mph so you don't get run over while there is a 1 ton truck behind you. You want to be able to flip it to reserve before the bike sputters on dies on you.
75monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #7565
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,802
My DR200, an '07, varies on gas mileage depending on how I'm riding. The least miles I have gotten out of a tank of gas is 145 miles. The most is 205 and I didn't have to go on reserve. I think I still had about a half gallon left too. The low end was riding across west TX full throttle on an interstate into a head wind. The high end was easy (slow) dirt riding in N. Idaho.

Use your trip meter, when you get to about 130 miles fill your tank.

To find your petcock lever while riding place the palm of your left hand on the lower edge of the tank with fingers down and slide your hand until your finger hit the petcock. Do it a couple time while not moving so you have an idea of what you are feeling. If you're real good you'll be able to know where the lever is and just turn it the correct way if you run out of gas.

I find it a lot easier and better for the bike not to let the tank get low enough to go on reserve.

As far as pressure gauges, I agree with Klay and my cheap gauges read similiarly - they are probably all wrong but it's a DR200 and I keep enough air in the tires that I haven't had any pinch flats.

It's nice to have top of the line things but sometimes it nice to go simple which is the appeal of the DR200s for many of us.

The most important thing to go with your DR200 is a HUGE smile.

Enjoy!
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:16 AM   #7566
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
It's a DR200, not a Ducati race bike.
i ride mine like it's a ducati race bike.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #7567
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn View Post
- Braided Steel Brake Line
- Aftermarket Performance Brake Pads
- Larger Caliper

I have all the parts but I'm completely swamped under work and other bike projects so the DR is in hold pattern right now.

I will post results as soon as I have the new caliper installed. I'm expecting quite noticeable difference.

--
Mikko
Did you ever do this? What caliper part number/source did you use?

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:02 AM   #7568
rangeshooter
n00b

Oddometer: 4
plated cylinder

When did Suzuki start using a plated cylinder instead of the sleeved type,
on the DR 200?
rangeshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #7569
juliandres
Adventurer

Hey guys, so I stopped by the local bike shop by my college to ask about new dual sport tires since I just bought my used '03 dr200 it came with street tires.

The shop lady wanted to look at my tires and freaked out at how much dry rot there was and now i'm really worried, I'll upload a pic later on today but she told me try and avoid riding until I get new tires.

So, she looked for some dual sport tires and said that the best they could do is $325 for both tires with installation... Is this normal? It's my first bike but I don't have that kind of money right now. Does anyone know of any good inexpensive dual sport tires that can fit my baby?? I really want to ride but now I'm paranoid, and also can't afford to drop that much money.

Help! What do you guys put on your dr200?
Old 10-31-2013, 09:16 AM   #7570
Joelness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Kenda K270s; they run about $45 a piece and most shops have something comparable. I've never seen install run more than about $25 per end, but apparently it's out there. Tubes are another 10 or 20 bucks a wheel. For the install money a person can buy the tools to do it themselves. Anything over $200 total for a bike this size to have some 50/50 dual sport tires on it seems a little out of hand.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:16 AM   #7571
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,498
Quote:
Hey guys, so I stopped by the local bike shop by my college to ask about new dual sport tires since I just bought my used '03 dr200 it came with street tires.

The shop lady wanted to look at my tires and freaked out at how much dry rot there was and now i'm really worried, I'll upload a pic later on today but she told me try and avoid riding until I get new tires.

So, she looked for some dual sport tires and said that the best they could do is $325 for both tires with installation... Is this normal? It's my first bike but I don't have that kind of money right now. Does anyone know of any good inexpensive dual sport tires that can fit my baby?? I really want to ride but now I'm paranoid, and also can't afford to drop that much money.

Help! What do you guys put on your dr200?
We have been running IRC-GP1s on my wifes DR200 for the past couple years but the price has been creeping up, try Shinko 244s, good tire and very good price $33-35 front & rear.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...nt---rear-tire

I used to pay $25/tire for mounting, OFF the bike so you could be looking at anywhere for $25-50 / tire for mounting. I do all my own tire changes so not sure what it costs anymore.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #7572
juliandres
Adventurer

Oh alright thank goodness I was so confused when she gave me that price... So i'm assuming she was trying to take advantage of me?

Also, what would the size be? My rear is 90x90x20
Old 10-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #7573
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acif View Post
about the cylinder:

suzuki makes 2 types of cylinders for the dr200.
1. aluminium cylinder with ferreous sleeve.
2. all aluminium cylinder with SCEM coating applied directly to the cylinder (no sleeve).

the first type is the older type and can be rebored (this is why there are oversize pistons and rings).
the newer type (SCEM) can't be rebored (no oversize pistons, only standard bore).

the older type doesent has any special marks and the sleeve is clearly visible.
the newer type has a clearly stamped SCEM above the 199cc mark.

older vrs newer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangeshooter View Post
When did Suzuki start using a plated cylinder instead of the sleeved type,
on the DR 200?

I want to guess around 2005, but the above information should allow you to figure it out.

windigo
Old 10-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #7574
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Oh alright thank goodness I was so confused when she gave me that price... So i'm assuming she was trying to take advantage of me?
Yes, that pricing is absurd.

Quote:
Also, what would the size be? My rear is 90x90x20
I don't think so. The rear is an 18 inch tire. Mine is 4.10 X 18, which is around 110/90-18 in metric sizing.

90/90-21 sounds like the front tire.

windigo
Old 10-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #7575
juliandres
Adventurer

I don't think so. The rear is an 18 inch tire. Mine is 4.10 X 18, which is around 110/90-18 in metric sizing.

90/90-21 sounds like the front tire.[/QUOTE]

shit... maybe,... I'll check again after class