Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #7681
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Aim high on the bike for weight savings and don't neglect rotating and unsprung weight. The muffler is a pretty good savings, so is the battery if you swap to a LiIon one. Handlebars are good for a few lbs. That metal gas tank would be a nice thing to swap out, if you can find anything that would fit. Stock turn signals/license plate bracket are good for a couple lbs. Swapping tires out to Tubeliss might save 1-2 lbs of rotating mass, shame you can't do anything about the rear drum brake.

I started doing this on my wife's DR but only got so far as the bars and battery. Saved 5 lbs.

http://2wheelsplz.blogspot.com/2012/06/dr-diet.html
Old 12-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #7682
ridenfly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Just acquired a sp200, my first 2wheeler in 15 yrs. With no oil, gas, turnsignals, or battery it weighs 221 lbs. No elec start so don't need a battery. The muffler is the easiest way to save weight. I like the big gas tank but it does weigh 6-1/2 lbs. The bolt on rear bracket that supports fender, turn signals and tail light is almost 5 lbs. I plan to fab a lightweight support bracket. Here in CO turn signals are not required for plating. Trials tire and Tubliss will save a lb or two. I chose the sp200 as it specs. out like the DR but is lighter.
ridenfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #7683
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
I often hear that plastic gas tank actually weighs more than steel ones of equivalent size.
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #7684
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
I often hear that plastic gas tank actually weighs more than steel ones of equivalent size.

Just depends on the bike. I never had the DR tank removed while empty so not sure there, but on my dad's WR250R the empty metal tank weighed as much as the plastic one with a gallon of fuel in it.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #7685
sheromin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Looking to buy an extra set of rims for my 07 200DR. Anyone have a set they can part with for a reasonable price?
sheromin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #7686
WizardSkills
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
So after reading up on adv about the highway - worthiness of the little DR I was a little hesitant to try it out. Most of my riding is either off-road or on streets with a max speed of 55, and at these speeds does everything I need it to. Well, with only 900 miles on my 2006 I figured that I might as well give the highway a shot and decide, once and for all, for myself. It was a toss up between hitting the 101 or 280, neither of which I would call a "friendly" place to ride smaller bikes. So I hit the on-ramp for the 280 and hoped for the best. In all honesty, it really wasn't that bad at all. I spun it up to an indicated 70 and merged on. I was able to hit 75 indicated (don't think she had much more left in her, but that's ok) and maintain an indicated 68-70 on a looong uphill (all in the far right lane, mind you). It was a little windy, and the bike felt light, but not scary. Oh, and I was also sporting my full-face with visor (my only helmet). I kept it up for about four exits and it was actually alot of fun. Would I want to cruise the 'slab for hours at a time? Well, no. But it definitely wasn't the harrowing (see "oh sh!t what have I gotten myself into") experience that I had been led to believe, and the 200 putted along just fine; I was actually pretty impressed with the little beast! Just thought I'd post my experience as there seem to be allot of nay-sayers concerning the DR200 and freeway travel. Hell, it's my only bike and I got it for a price I couldn't refuse, so I'm determined to ride it's wheels off (with all of the recommended maintenance, of course). Anyways, I couldn't be happier with the 'zuk and this thread, as well as all of adv; you guys & gals have been a tremendous resource for us noobs.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

WizardSkills screwed with this post 12-21-2013 at 05:15 PM
WizardSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #7687
drtaco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
[QUOTE=WizardSkills;23041381]So after reading up on adv about the highway - worthiness of the little DR I was a little hesitant to try it out. Most of my riding is either off-road or on streets with a max speed of 55, and at these speeds does everything I need it to. Well, with only 900 miles on my 2006 I figured that I might as well give the highway a shot and decide, once and for all, for myself. It was a toss up between hitting the 101 or 280, neither of which I would call a "friendly" place to ride smaller bikes. So I hit the on-ramp for the 280 and hoped for the best. In all honesty, it really wasn't that bad at all. I spun it up to an indicated 70 and merged on. I was able to hit 75 indicated (don't think she had much more left in her, but that's ok) and maintain an indicated 68-70 on a looong uphill (all in the far right lane, mind you). It was a little windy, and the bike felt light, but not scary. Oh, and I was also sporting my full-face with visor (my only helmet). I kept it up for about four exits and it was actually alot of fun. Would I want to cruise the 'slab for hours at a time? Well, no. But it definitely wasn't the harrowing (see "oh sh!t what have I gotten myself into") experience that I had been led to believe, and the 200 putted along just fine; I was actually pretty impressed with the little beast! Just thought I'd post my experience as there seem to be allot of nay-sayers concerning the DR200 and freeway travel. Hell, it's my only bike and I got it for a price I couldn't refuse, so I'm determined to ride it's wheels off (with all of the recommended maintenance, of course). Anyways, I couldn't be happier with the 'zuk and this thread, as well as all of adv; you guys & gals have been a tremendous resource for us noobs.

YOU KNOW IT !! I have over 12,000 miles all on road and 98% over 55mph. and it is fun as he11. now doing 70+ behind a tractor trailer can be different (windshield probably doesn't help) nothing that can't be handled. longest run was 4.5 hours 1 hour in the mountains (accidental double wheelie leaving Harley dealership in orange county va. riding with Harley boys who just had to stop) at that time running 16t to 45t gearing. running 14t to 39t now and a tto tach, some atv windsheild Dunlop 404's milk crate with two small ammo cans as side boxes :). yeah I can't just pull away at high speed but oh'well.
drtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #7688
drtaco
Adventurer

finally i may have figured how to post a pic

http://www.flickr.com/photos/112240622@N02/11506525283/

older picture, how can I resize here. btw, that's my gear coming home from work when it is 60+ degrees in the afternoon but 30 in the morning.

drtaco screwed with this post 12-23-2013 at 04:49 AM Reason: well maybe it didn't work
Old 12-23-2013, 04:55 AM   #7689
drtaco
Adventurer

photo maybe

if this don't work f""" it :(
Old 12-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #7690
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtaco View Post
http://www.flickr.com/photos/112240622@N02/11506525283/

older picture, how can I resize here. btw, that's my gear coming home from work when it is 60+ degrees in the afternoon but 30 in the morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtaco View Post

if this don't work f""" it :(
You have to post the BBCode with the size you want the picture to be shown at.There's a little box below and right of the picture, with an arrow in it, to get the code.That's on the flickr view page.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #7691
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Rear Linkage

Does anybody know if the rear suspension travel can be raised from 8 to 9.5 inches, without binding in the linkage on the swingarm? I want Works Performance to build me a longer shock.

By the way, what is the procedure to remove the rear shock?
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #7692
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,006
Diode On Dash Indicator

Somewhere in the middle of the little fender project, we've gone a bit sideways.

First off, to answer the age old question...no an RM80 rear fender won't work. It wickedly too narrow for the sub-frame!

Now, onto the next dilemma. Has anyone installed LED turn signals and had to do the diode kit on the dash blinker indicator light? Apparently, on the big DRs the dash indicator feeds back via the dash bulb so you need to install a diode. I find aftermarkets kits, but few people report the install.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:15 AM   #7693
drtaco
Adventurer

one more time

DSC00047 - Copy by tacodr, on Flickr
Old 12-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #7694
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
Somewhere in the middle of the little fender project, we've gone a bit sideways.

First off, to answer the age old question...no an RM80 rear fender won't work. It wickedly too narrow for the sub-frame!

oh man, I was trying to find a high MX fender to use when I still had a dr200...I was hoping the RM80 fender would fit because it was squared on the sides...sorry dude, hopefully it was cheap
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #7695
drtaco
Adventurer

new photos

ok i'll try not to abuse my new skill thanks ben2go