yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,840
Really digging that milk crate setup...
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #7697
WizardSkills
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Looks good taco! Where'd you get that windshield?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #7698
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtaco View Post
ok i'll try not to abuse my new skill thanks ben2go
You're welcome.Nice ride.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:35 AM   #7699
drtaco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
my windshield came out of a shed while cleaning up at the wife's grandfather's place after he passed (98years old)couple years ago believe he had tried it on his 4 wheeler must not have liked it. I've tied to research some info on it with no luck. great for road use would suck off road. I put some window tint on lower portion for looks. my milk crate is a Wal-Mart special. real milk crates are smaller but tougher. wanted a tail box, but believe it or not I love the crate. I can pile lunch box and clothing (or bunch of crap), bungee cord it down and don't have to worry if the top will close . industrial wire ties hold it to tail light and the seat frame (rack?). the small ammo cans are bolted on to the bottom of the crate. it has survived a couple of ahh shit tip overs while rolling it in and out of garage. sorta turned it into a street bike.
drtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #7700
Jodaddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Glad I'm not the only one who dumps the bike while pushing it around. Two bent levers and a bruised ego.
Jodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #7701
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,064
I forgot to put the side stand down in the garage. The bruises took months to go away.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #7702
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,196
Shit happens.I share in the shame myself.Never forgot the stand but I have had a foot slide out from under me and go down with the bike.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:22 AM   #7703
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,262
Well we had the dr200 out on the ice yesterday, sorry no pics yet but I think it will be a nice little ice racer.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #7704
Golden Chapati
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Hi guys,

I'm nearly decided - looking to do a tour of S.America and will buy new in Santiago. Basically either Honda Tornado 250cc, but the Sukuzi Dr-200 looks awesome as well. Can any Dr-200 enthusiasts persuade me why I should take the Suzuki over the Honda, or not, as the case may be?

Many thanks!!!

G.C.
Golden Chapati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #7705
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Chapati View Post
Hi guys,

I'm nearly decided - looking to do a tour of S.America and will buy new in Santiago. Basically either Honda Tornado 250cc, but the Sukuzi Dr-200 looks awesome as well. Can any Dr-200 enthusiasts persuade me why I should take the Suzuki over the Honda, or not, as the case may be?

Many thanks!!!

G.C.

I don't know anything about the Honda, but I know the Suzuki is the most over-built and rugged bike I've ever owned.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #7706
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Honda quality has slipped in recent years. I bought two brand new Hondas. One in 2008 and one in 2011. Both had serious manufacturing defects. One needed new piston and rings and cyclinder ($2000). The other had strange electrical gremlins that left me stranded twice in middle of nowhere (Arkansas). On other hand my Suzuki's and Kawasaki's has never let me down. My coworker rode a Suzuki Gix something; it was flawless. He switched to a shiny new Honda, and it gave him a lot of grieve.
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #7707
Magestyk
Bicycle NINJA

Oddometer: 348
Hey guys I need quick info.
I want to get a rear tire for my DR200.
What's the Max tire size that can fit?

The Tire I'm looking on Amazon are the Michelin T63 in 120/80-18.
They also have in 130/80-18, so I was wondering if they fit just fine too with no issues. I would prefer wider tires ;)

Also can anyone recommend the 'BEST' Front & Rear brake pads.
I want to replace them. My bike has +10k miles and I need to take care of that.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2014, 03:35 AM   #7708
Eeesh!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Hey Golden Chapati-

As someone who is living in Laos and has managed multiple construction projects in rural Africa I would strongly recommend 2 things for travelling by motorcyle in underdeveloped countries:

1. Buy the most common bike used locally. If you get some cool bike that has no parts supply available you might be stuck convincing a local mechanic to modify another brand's parts to work on your bike... or worse yet loading it onto the roof of a bus on your way to the nearest large town because of a $5 part problem. I have on more than one occasion had to put my Suzuki on the roof of a bus or the middle isle for lack of simple parts. It sucks.
2. Kick start- Trying to bump start a bike on muddy or sand roads also sucks. Some developing countries have a real problem with short battery life because they only have Chinese products that sit on a shelf discharged for months or years before someone buys them.

I have had only a limited amount of experience in S. America, but I remember there being a pretty wide variety of bikes on the road. Actually, it seemed quite advanced compared to Africa or rural Asia and maybe my recommendations do not apply- but if you are going you deep into the bush you may run into similar problems.

Regardless have a great trip! Cheers!
Eeesh! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:13 PM   #7709
drtaco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
cold weather prep

well i'm going to try to ride tomorrow coldest day in 20 years the challenge was on so I hit up on the minimalist thread about glove ideas think either garbing or venture 7 volt glove liners until then check out my drtaco wind guards no rights reserved

and here's how you to can do it

take a Wal-Mart jug and cut end off, take saw and cut seam as below

now work it over the handle and your hand guards(don't have any oh well keep going see how it works for you) as my granbaby vanna wanna be shows

now trim to fit and close back together mark for hole to insert handguard bolt thru and where you might put wireties to hold it together. you will neeed to put one up front when seem cracks also I may have forgotten to tell you that you need to remove marker light, front cowl, windshield. also it is a lot easier to remove stickers before mounting on bike put back on bike screw bolt in to hand guard and add wire ties where every you think you might need them
now line up where the mirror needs to go thru at and drill hole (ha,ha just remember drill or die grinder can make the hole bigger

so there you go oops what about the windshield wait there is more, using a heatgun on low and a long square wooden rod (cuz hot plastic burns fingers) heat and mold plastic corners to fit windshield.

so there you are. sorry to take up space. guaranteed for two years or the first time you use themtested them on 3mile out 3mile back ride at 60mph and they are sturdy.!! as bill murray said in the movie 'where the buffalo roam' "I can not advocate the use of sex, drugs, alcohol and violence, but its worked for me
drtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:29 PM   #7710
ridenfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Nicely done! Thanks for posting.
ridenfly is offline   Reply With Quote