Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #766
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniroot
Wow, three in a row. A new record for me.

I decided to put the cherry on the top of the rebuild run-in with a gentle jaunt through some local forest. My son was begging to tag along, so along he came. If you're running low on father-son schmatlz, I blogged the ride.

Ew. Did I really just use the word "blogged"?
Ha! What a cute guy!
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:44 AM   #767
orange99z28
n00b

Oddometer: 5
hey hillbilly, if you like to dr200 go for it. i can cruise anywhere from atv trails to the interstate. it's by no means a highway warrior but if you got the balls its a blast to fly past traffic on a 200 lol. i regularly ride it about 100 miles round trip (rural interstate) avg about 70mph (65-75 with wind..) its all about the preference, i prefer to have a blast and feel like i'm going 150 when in reality its 75, much safer, same rush. plus you can't veer off the road onto whatever trails u find on a crotch rocket. but i've also owned one and got my fill, so do what ya want, i'd recommend a ride on someone elses before u dump the cash though
orange99z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:06 PM   #768
mamacone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
adjusting valves on 1999 dr200

I have tried searching this thread for valve adjustments on the dr200, sorry if it is already on here. But does anybody have a link on how to, pictures and clearance would be nice.
mamacone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:28 PM   #769
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacone
I have tried searching this thread for valve adjustments on the dr200, sorry if it is already on here. But does anybody have a link on how to, pictures and clearance would be nice.
Intake and exhaust are both .08 to .13 mm. Adjust when the emgine is cold, and rotate the engine until the piston is at top dead center on the compression stroke. For pictures, PM me your email address.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:33 PM   #770
kelly007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Further to what clay said, Must remove side panels, then seat, then fuel tank. You also then remove the valve covers, generator cap on side (think its a hex 10mm), and the inspection cover above it. Turn the engine with a 17mm spanner(i think) through the generator until you are on the compression stroke and the black line in the inspection cover lines up. First time i did it i found it a little difficult to get the feeler gauges in as they have to be slightly bent to get under there.
kelly007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:36 PM   #771
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly007
Further to what clay said, Must remove side panels, then seat, then fuel tank. You also then remove the valve covers, generator cap on side (think its a hex 10mm), and the inspection cover above it. Turn the engine with a 17mm spanner(i think) through the generator until you are on the compression stroke and the black line in the inspection cover lines up. First time i did it i found it a little difficult to get the feeler gauges in as they have to be slightly bent to get under there.
I bend the tips of the feeler gauges back a little to make the job easier. Mamacone, PM me your email address and I'll send you the relevant page out of the service manual.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:22 AM   #772
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,330
does any body out there know what kientech does for an exhaustmod
and how much louder is it?

edward
Old 10-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #773
kelly007
Adventurer

we get a Dr200 Stainless steel exhaust here, looks similar to the one you get on motorcross bikes, they are 1400 rand. Going to get one soon as my standard one has a hole where a stone hit it, and the replacement from suzuki is 3500!

Will take a photo of one soon just for interest sakes
Old 10-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #774
kelly007
Adventurer

will definetly try that Klay,kept worrying that maybe the size did fit and i was getting it wrong, so tried it like 10 times.
sorry about the previous miss-spelling "clay" :P
Old 10-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #775
Klay
dreaming adventurer

I've added an information section to the second post of this thread. If you have some information you'd like to see in there, please post it here and I'll quote you and put it there. That way people who are looking for DR200-specific information won't have to wade through the thread.

Klay screwed with this post 10-16-2008 at 03:00 PM
Old 10-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #776
miniroot
running in: please pass

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally
does any body out there know what kientech does for an exhaustmod
and how much louder is it?
Louder, but not so loud that you'll worry about it. Your neighbours might, but my experience with neighbours is that they're either the good kind, or the "if I notice it at all, it annoys me" kind. There's as much noise from the airbox mod as the exhaust, at least from where I sit.

A pic of the after, from here:

miniroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:41 AM   #777
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,330
thank you for the info and pic

edward
Old 10-18-2008, 02:53 AM   #778
orange99z28
n00b

Oddometer: 5
wtf?? that exhaust mod looks more ghetto than a lumina on 24's.... i think i'll order his jet kit, but i'm pretty sure some good old fashioned riggin'll do better than the sidecart muffler..
orange99z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #779
miniroot
running in: please pass

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange99z28
wtf?? that exhaust mod looks more ghetto than a lumina on 24's.... i think i'll order his jet kit, but i'm pretty sure some good old fashioned riggin'll do better than the sidecart muffler..
How would you expect a wider tip to look?
miniroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #780
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,080
DR200 newbie questions

Total DR200 newbie here. On Friday I scored a non-running 8 years old DR200SE. After new fluids, new battery, fresh gas and rebuilt carburetor it starts fine and runs pretty OK.

But it doesn't run well and I have couple other questions too. Would appreciate some help from the collective.

1. Fuel level. What's the correct fuel level with this thing? I used to have a KLR650 and in that one the fuel level spec was +/-1mm from the bottom of carb body. In this bike the fuel rises 3mm above the bowl. Seems high to me...
What's the fuel level spec for DR200SE?

2. Off-idle stumble. The bike starts fine and revs easy when in neutral but under load the engine stumbles a bit when opening the throttle. Idle is fine and steady and after the initial hesitation it does pick up steam but it always stumbles when getting on the throttle. Does it warm and cold.
Any suggestions?
I cleaned the carb pretty darn well. Jets were 125 main and 35 pilot, those are the stock size I assume?

3. Oil level. Is the oil level supposed to be checked when bike is on side stand, or when upright?

Thanks guys!

--
Mikko
FlyingFinn is offline   Reply With Quote