Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #7846
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigrn View Post
How does the 1999 differ from the newer models.
Unless a specific color spices up your life, it hasn't been redesigned since the late 80s...zombie apocalypse bike.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #7847
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,307
And the 1999 model is likely identical to a new one, with the exception of possible minor jetting changes.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #7848
75monza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
So I am a little slow. I finally got around to fixing my flickering dash light. It looks like it was just the filament in the bulb itself. I had it all apart installing a new headlight bulb this week and looked behind the dash. "that looks like a bulb socket" so I pulled it out and put in a small led bulb that I had laying around. Dash light is nice and steady now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75monza View Post
But the dash/gauge light is driving me nuts. It keeps flickering on and off. It wasn't a problem in the summer during the day, but now the nights are coming a lot sooner and the flickering at night is distracting. Is there a bulb inside the housing that I can replace? How do I make it stop the flickering on and off?
75monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:15 PM   #7849
Magestyk
Bicycle NINJA

Oddometer: 348
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone of you have a USB Power Charger/Adapter wired to your DR. If so where on the front(which wires) do you have it sliced too?

I'm gonna order a plug, so I need to find out which wires are best to splice into.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:46 AM   #7850
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,824
I would just recommend tapping the battery terminals, instead of hacking up your factory harness. Also, there are a ton of vibs on the little bike, and installing a 'USB only' connector may prove problematic as it might not stay seated.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:07 AM   #7851
packerbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magestyk View Post
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone of you have a USB Power Charger/Adapter wired to your DR. If so where on the front(which wires) do you have it sliced too?

I'm gonna order a plug, so I need to find out which wires are best to splice into.
I went the no-splice route hooking up my cigarette socket charger to my handlebars (which I plug a dual usb charger into), plus I bought the alligator clips so I could charge my battery w/o having to remove my seat. These 3 cost me $16 total w/shipping from ebay.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #7852
Magestyk
Bicycle NINJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
I would just recommend tapping the battery terminals, instead of hacking up your factory harness. Also, there are a ton of vibs on the little bike, and installing a 'USB only' connector may prove problematic as it might not stay seated.
I read the pro's and cons of connecting a USB directly to the battery, and I must say I rather not go that route. The reason is it can discharge the battery if you might happen to forget you have something hooked to it.
Plus I rather avoid more wire going going there/hooked to the batter.

Connecting to the front harness, will prevent battery discharge once I turn the key off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker View Post
I went the no-splice route hooking up my cigarette socket charger to my handlebars (which I plug a dual usb charger into), plus I bought the alligator clips so I could charge my battery w/o having to remove my seat. These 3 cost me $16 total w/shipping from ebay.
So did you hooked somewhere on the front to get power? Or you just clamped your socket, and then wired it to the battery? I dont want to connect to the battery.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #7853
packerbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I read the pro's and cons of connecting a USB directly to the battery, and I must say I rather not go that route. The reason is it can discharge the battery if you might happen to forget you have something hooked to it.
Plus I rather avoid more wire going going there/hooked to the batter.

Connecting to the front harness, will prevent battery discharge once I turn the key off.

So did you hooked somewhere on the front to get power? Or you just clamped your socket, and then wired it to the battery? I dont want to connect to the battery.
the ring terminal harness is connected to my battery, then i hid the quick disconnect under the left fairing (for easy access). this way i can disconnect the socket quickly and hook up the alligator clips to charge or even jump someone else's bike if needed. i was also worried about draw on the battery when the bikes not running but as long as there is nothing plugged into the socket i know im good. i guess pulling the usb charger outta the socket when im done riding is no big deal for me (the led light that stays on is a good reminder its drawing) and i decided was a much better choice than splicing anything.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #7854
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,346
Easternbeaver.com has some very good electrical options from fuse blocks but I never run that much stuff to require a fuse block so I run his 3 circuit kit on just about all my bikes. Jim also has really good info on bike wiring in general.

I like to have one unswitched circuit for my gps, it's a pain to shut down your bike at a stop and have the gps shut down, there's no worry of the gps draining the battery because you remove it at night or extended stops etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:32 PM   #7855
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
there's no worry of the gps draining the battery because you remove it at night or extended stops etc.

Not to mention the DR is extremely easy to bump start even if the battery does go dead for whatever reason.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:50 PM   #7856
Chadwell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Question

Hello, been lurking here a bit, tried to get through this thread but I got dizzy at about page 50.

I am looking for 70off/30on or 80/20 tires for DR and wondering if there is any consensus on the best tires for the job? The sticky is helpful, but I'm looking for people's opinions on tires they have used.

I tend to run in terrain that varies from rocky to slick mud and the stock trail wings are just not up to the challenge.

Thanks!
Chadwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #7857
Swamperjeremy
To the moon

Oddometer: 5
Thumb My tires update

Back finally my perreli scorpions xcmh are great off road and do well on road not gonna be draggen a knee, but he'll I ride the Ocala national forest when ever I can so sand,mud,long straight flat grades, and minimal freeway. So far so good they hook up great in the sand my stock death wings were in need of replacement and that's what I got. Also just tonight I drilled my air box lid I put 5 one inch holes in it and riveted a stainless 1/8th mesh on the back it's a little louder intake noise and all but seems a bit snappier.
Swamperjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #7858
packerbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

so i had an airbox 3/4 full of gas last night...yea

two weeks ago i installed a new manual non-vacuum petcock. worked great until last time i rode the bike (4 days ago) i left the gas on by mistake.

im pretty sure if the float was working properly it should not have poured fuel into my airbox even with the gas left on but please correct me if im wrong. i definitely will change the oil and possibly replace the float needle o-ring at the very least. any other suggestions here?

also, anyone know where i can buy new o-rings for the carb? or better yet, what size/material they are since I sell and stock thousands of o-rings? i prefer to not buy the entire $40+ carb rebuild kit just to replace a couple cheap seals
Old 03-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #7859
Magestyk
Bicycle NINJA

Anyone installed one of these LED Bulbs on their DR?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948701
Old 03-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #7860
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Anyone installed one of these LED Bulbs on their DR?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948701
been watching that thread, there are other companies out there also.
I haven't but, I did switch all of the dash/speedo bulbs to LED.

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote