Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2007, 11:25 AM   #76
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
I don't really know, but my DR250SE is quite tolllerable on the highway. I rode it to work today (40 miles of highway). Mine is stock save a 16T front sprocket. The 250 does have a 6spd and probably a bit more power than the 200. You might be best served finding a DR250SE or DR350SE - cost should be about the same.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #77
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.solgaard
Hey,

I've found a dr 200 - 96 or 98, I forget, with 600 kms for $2300 canadian. I believe it to be a pretty good deal. my only question is, how bad is it really on the highway? some people on this thread say it's okay, some say not so much. is it really whining out at 100k - 60 miles an hour? I was thinking about doing a trip to baja later on this year, riding from somewhere in SoCal, down, would this bike be sufficient? I have no doubts about it on the trails as far as nimbleness and lightness goes, but the highway thing is my only concern.
thanks.

adrian
If you weigh 130 pounds soaking wet and travel with a minimum of gear, you could change the sprockets so the rpm's aren't so high at 60 mph, and the bike would be all right to go road tripping. But if you're a guy like me, 200 pounds, and want to carry camping gear, the motor is just not big enough, unless you're content with cruising at 45 mph on the highway.

The 200 would be great once you got to Baja, but getting there would be slow.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:21 PM   #78
iWander
Adventure Geek

Oddometer: 58
40-Tooth Rear Sprocket Mod

I weigh 200 pounds and I commute 40 miles to/from work every day with my '05 DR200. With the stock rear sprocket and no engine mods, I found that it cruised happily at 42-45 mph. Sure it could get up to 60-63 mph on the highway, but it buzzed like a damn saw and the vibrations made it feel like it was going to explode at any moment. The sweet spot where it could cruise all day long without pushing the engine too hard was definitely just over 40.

I just replaced the rear sprocket with a 40-tooth from Rebel Gears. There's a 4-month lead time on the steel 39-tooth, so I went with their recommendation and bought aluminum. It may not last as long, but they're running them on everything and they swear their aluminum isn't soft. Anyway, after 70+ miles I can say that it made the bike much more road-worthy. As near as I can tell, it adds about 12 mph to the bike and it feels like I've added almost one additional gear to the top end. I can cruise all day at 55 mph, and even when I push it to 60 I don't feel the vibrations. I'm sure my mileage will improve as well, but I don't have any numbers just yet. On the low end, I have no problems starting out because that engine has so much torque. It's a little like starting out in 2nd gear, but not quite because my new 1st gear still has more power than my old 2nd gear.....if you can follow that.

It's important to note, however, that my top speed on flat pavement is still around 63 mph because of the reduction in power. It'll go faster if I tuck or lose 50 pounds (my wife says just cut my head off), but that really wasn't my goal. I was looking for a way to keep up with traffic on some of our rural highways, and I got exactly that. I don't climb trees with my bike, so the "loss" of my lowest gear is a non-issue. I couldn't be happier with the results.

Now I just need a DR350/650 to cover the interstate and long-range touring, and then I'll be all set.
iWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #79
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
As a matter of fact I just ordered a 40T and expect to receive next week. Expect this final change to bump my cruise from 42-45mph to 45-48mph. Just hope the roll-off is reasonable.

I'm lucky in that I have the 200 and 350 and can do back to back comparisons. I'm also lucky in that I only weigh 140 and pretty much figure that my total touring load (including me) is about 220-230 lbs. The funny thing is that I prefer the 200 for touring and the 350 for dirt road and trail blasting. However, I will probably tour the 350 this year once I get my packing system sorted out. The 200 certainly wears panniers better than the 350 so I will most likely go the "U" bag route with the 350. Will also have to go with a larger tank as well to get the necessary range. Found that the 350 meets or exceeds my 650 in nearly all categories and leaves me with little reason to keep my 650.

My 350 is set up with knobbies and the 200 with trailwings. I can take the 200 (if knobby shod) anywhere the 350 can go but just not as fast. The 200 is quieter, has a lower seat height, is simple to service, has fantastic range and economy, and it's easier to do "on the road" oil changes.

steve gs screwed with this post 06-11-2007 at 06:22 PM
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:02 PM   #80
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
...I have no doubts about it on the trails as far as nimbleness and lightness goes, but the highway thing is my only concern.
thanks.
No, you should have more doubts. How tall are you? Anything over about 5'-6" and the DR-200 is too small in the seat to pegs distance, as well as the bars being too low. The seat to pegs size matters a lot for actual off-roading (not just off-pavement) since an off-road rider will be (should be) transitioning from sitting to standing hundreds of times per ride. (Unless they just stand the whole time!)

If the seat is too low in relation to the pegs, then the transitions are overly tiring. And for anyone escpat a rather small person, the DR-200 is too small for off-roading. But it is okay if you are only gonaa sit yer butt on the seat to go down a dirt ROAD (off-PAVEMENT but not off-ROAD).
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:54 PM   #81
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,923
Quote:
Hey,

I've found a dr 200 - 96 or 98, I forget, with 600 kms for $2300 canadian. I believe it to be a pretty good deal. my only question is, how bad is it really on the highway? some people on this thread say it's okay, some say not so much. is it really whining out at 100k - 60 miles an hour? I was thinking about doing a trip to baja later on this year, riding from somewhere in SoCal, down, would this bike be sufficient? I have no doubts about it on the trails as far as nimbleness and lightness goes, but the highway thing is my only concern.
thanks.

adrian
if i could have only one bike, this wouldn't be it. i love my dr200, but unless you are willing to travel slowly it's not the best bike.

i have a 39 tooth sprocket to install to get the rpms down at highway speed, but i don't have any illusions of interstate blasting once it's on.

and like viverrid says, if you're taller then getting up on it will be a problem. i'm 5'4" and it's almost a little short when i stand up on it (which isn't too often).

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:23 PM   #82
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
Found that the 350 meets or exceeds my 650 in nearly all categories and leaves me with little reason to keep my 650.

I've been wondering about that myself a little. I don't have anything in the 350-400 cc range. So far, I have decided that if I could only have one bike, it would be the 650 thumper. Alas, while the 200 is a nonpareil commuter/utility/light-touring bike, it just doesn't have the long-distance capability of the 650. If I had a DR350, maybe that would be my favorite.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:33 PM   #83
green hell
yawning or snarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
And another item one might want to consider are good quality cycling shorts. I'll have to try that sheepskin cover. I wonder if the shorts when combined with the cover would improve the comfort further.
i have a couple pair of cycling shorts.

never worn them on the dr, but they are ok on the f650.

don't spend a lot of money on cycling shorts if you buy them. i have a cheap pair and an expensive pair and there is really not much difference.

and, uh, boxers don't work well under cycling shorts. an unfinished basement is generally preferable.

needless dickery
Old 06-13-2007, 11:09 PM   #84
Klay
dreaming adventurer

My 200 has picked up a little stumble. If I hold the throttle a little above idle, for example, it'll run a little unsteady and cough once in a while. Sometimes at idle it'll cough and die. I'm going to check the valve clearances first, then if those are okay, which they very likely are, I am thinking some kind of carb glitch.

Any ideas? The air filter is clean and it has a new spark plug. It's got 10,310 miles on it. It starts beautifully.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:11 AM   #85
green hell
yawning or snarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
My 200 has picked up a little stumble. If I hold the throttle a little above idle, for example, it'll run a little unsteady and cough once in a while. Sometimes at idle it'll cough and die. I'm going to check the valve clearances first, then if those are okay, which they very likely are, I am thinking some kind of carb glitch.

Any ideas? The air filter is clean and it has a new spark plug. It's got 10,310 miles on it. It starts beautifully.
probably right on the carb. as a big believer in better living through chemistry, i'd run some fuel system cleaner in a couple tanks before i started tearing things apart.

could be funky gas, too. i've had a couple suspect tanks in the last year or two.

needless dickery
Old 06-14-2007, 08:50 AM   #86
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeker43
probably right on the carb. as a big believer in better living through chemistry, i'd run some fuel system cleaner in a couple tanks before i started tearing things apart.

could be funky gas, too. i've had a couple suspect tanks in the last year or two.
Good idea. I'll run a little Seafoam through it.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:39 PM   #87
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:

The carb seems to have cleared itself, without adding any new gas. Maybe there's a speck of debris floating around in the carburetor.

The DR200 was sweet puttering around today in the 90 degree heat. Couldn't do without it.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:41 PM   #88
green hell
yawning or snarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
The carb seems to have cleared itself, without adding any new gas. Maybe there's a speck of debris floating around in the carburetor.

The DR200 was sweet puttering around today in the 90 degree heat. Couldn't do without it.
glad that worked itself out.

i've had a couple of instances where i filled up, then noticed that the bike seemed a little weak(er than usual). we were in the u/p last year and got some gas that caused 2 out of 3 bikes to sputter a bit. all the bikes were fuel injected, but one person either didn't notice, or maybe the power commander on her bike compensated for it.

and at 90 degrees, i need a bit more speed than the 200 can provide to stay cool.

needless dickery
Old 06-24-2007, 08:44 PM   #89
green hell
yawning or snarling

i haven't installed the 39T sprocket yet (lazy, so lazy). i rode to the east coast of michigan on dirt today, and was so beat i decided to ride back on more paved roads.

now that the bike is run in, she runs pretty well at 55. i kept up with highway traffic for 15~20 miles before turning west and plodding along at 45 again.

the trailwings seem to do pretty well as long as whatever you are riding on/in isn't deep. 3~4" of sand is brutal, but leaf-covered trails are a snap.

needless dickery
Old 06-24-2007, 09:24 PM   #90
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
glad that worked itself out.

i've had a couple of instances where i filled up, then noticed that the bike seemed a little weak(er than usual). we were in the u/p last year and got some gas that caused 2 out of 3 bikes to sputter a bit. all the bikes were fuel injected, but one person either didn't notice, or maybe the power commander on her bike compensated for it.

and at 90 degrees, i need a bit more speed than the 200 can provide to stay cool.
It came back. When the bike is fully warmed up, it idles nice and steady, but there is a spot just above idle where the engine is unsteady. I took the carb completely apart and looked carefully at all the jets (took them out) and can't see any problem, and put it back together. I put a couple ounces of Seafoam in the gas and we'll see how it goes. There's room for about a another gallon in the tank. Tomorrow I'll top it off with different gas and see what happens.

Sounds like a fine ride...the east coast of Lake Michigan and back is a good trek for you, if you live there in the thumb. The DR200 will go 55 just fine, even for me at 200 pounds, as long as there's no head wind.

Edit: Oh, I see you went to the east coast of Michigan, not the east coast of Lake Michigan. Nice ride.

My wife and I rode around in the country on our 200s hunting for raspberrys today. They're all just getting perfectly ripe now here. We found and ate many, many handfuls. Man, I'm glad we have those 200cc bikes to go exploring.

Klay screwed with this post 06-25-2007 at 04:17 PM