ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 10:35 AM   #901
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
HeReTiK's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 259
Just got a 1997 Suzuki DR200, put the new plate on it yesterday. I paid $850, it has about 5750 miles, and isn't in particularly good shape cosmetically but seems great mechanically. The previous owner swapped out the '97 motor for a used '01 he found on eBay that included a carb. So basically I got a bike with a 7yr old engine for $850 so I was happy. Apparently the original motor "blew up". I didn't ask questions, haha. Anyway he actually gave me the old engine and so I have a spare clutch, a spare carb, and some other extra shit if I ever need it.

I did an oil change last night and replaced the clutch lever for a new OEM one I got from the local suzuki dealer (im in hartford, ct).

Unfortunately I don't have pics uploaded yet but i'm having lots of fun with it.

QUESTIONS!
1) Has anyone scanned the service manual? If someone could upload that I would be eternally grateful
2) Has anyone tried anti-vibration risers? Specifically, the ROX ones? I'm curious how much of a difference those make
HeReTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #902
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeReTiK
QUESTIONS!
1) Has anyone scanned the service manual? If someone could upload that I would be eternally grateful
2) Has anyone tried anti-vibration risers? Specifically, the ROX ones? I'm curious how much of a difference those make
1) I bought a bootleg (paper)copy of the factory service manual of Ebay. It was cheep and has served me well. I'm not aware of on-line version of the manual.

2) I have found the 200 to be extremely vibration free. Do you get excessive vibrations through the handlebars?
I don't think additional anti-vib risers would make much difference if you currently have the stock bar mounts and tripple clamps. The stock mounts are rubber isolated, the mount posts are not in metal-to-metal contact with rest of the bike.

--
Mikko
FlyingFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:02 AM   #903
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
HeReTiK's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
1) I bought a bootleg (paper)copy of the factory service manual of Ebay. It was cheep and has served me well. I'm not aware of on-line version of the manual.
Do you remember any of the info on it? Name of the seller? Year? Was it it specifically for the DR200?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
2) I have found the 200 to be extremely vibration free. Do you get excessive vibrations through the handlebars?
I don't think additional anti-vib risers would make much difference if you currently have the stock bar mounts and tripple clamps. The stock mounts are rubber isolated, the mount posts are not in metal-to-metal contact with rest of the bike.
I think my bars are aftermarket, but I don't know about the clamps/mounting assembly. Do you have a pic of your stock setup?

What would be the best possible bars for high speed riding?

Thanks,

- HeReTiK
HeReTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:23 AM   #904
DaFoole
Born Again Asshole..
 
DaFoole's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: BFE, SW Oregon/SF BayO'rea
Oddometer: 3,960
Mike, what tursignals are those?? Just bought the GF a DR 200 and don't expect the stockers to last too long.... ....and don't want to pay Suzuki $$$ for their brittle replacements.






Quote:
Originally Posted by planetmike
With carb mod, exhaust mod, no airbox lid, forks leveled, smaller counter sprocket, smaller indicator lights, aftermarket brake light, new higher/wider handlebars and guards, and Trackmaster rear tire, now the little DR is a sweet dualsport.
__________________
"...when I handed the 40 ouncer to him, he got that far off stare that a cat gets when it just gets done licking its ass for the last 15". Yeah, THAT stare." -WTF-Over
"Don't come in here with your thoughtfulness, empathy, and reason... this is shit, up with which, I shall not put." -Boondoggle
DaFoole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #905
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeReTiK
Do you remember any of the info on it? Name of the seller? Year? Was it it specifically for the DR200?
See the link below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...120#ht_947wt_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeReTiK
I think my bars are aftermarket, but I don't know about the clamps/mounting assembly. Do you have a pic of your stock setup?
Here's how the stock handlebar mounts look like:


Look at parts 9, 10 and 12. Those have the rubber surfaces that isolate the mounting post (7) from the triple clamp.

--
Mikko
FlyingFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #906
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
HeReTiK's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
See the link below. (...)
Thanks for the link. It looks like a good deal but I've seen eBay listings for suzuki DR200 owner manuals that appear to be authentic, at about the same price as this bootleg(Around $20 or so). Either way it's still cheaper than paying somewhere between $50 and $100 for ordering a manual from a suzuki dealer.

Thanks for the handlebar mount pics. Tomorrow I will examine my bike more closely and check out the parts you mentioned.

Anyway, I took the bike out the road a lot more today. The bike seems to get to 55MPH fairly quickly, but acceleration past that seems to be gradual.

How much of a difference in top speed will I see if I replace my knobby tires with dual sport tires? Or will I see the difference mostly in handling?

I obviously didn't spend a great sum of money on this bike, but my goal was to find a good deal on a bike that was in excellent mechanical shape that I could ride and work on improving.

I don't have a car, so it is important to me that I do everything possible to ensure the reliability of my DR200. My top priorities are currently:
1) Get a Service Manual - before I make any stupid maintenance mistakes
2) With the manual in hand, I plan to do a full bike inspection and tune-up. I figure the most important things I should take of are
- Oil
- Oil Filter
- Fuel Lines
- Air Filter

I'm familiar with engine maintenance but have never done maintenance on a dirt bike like the DR200, so I figure the service manual will help me figure out what else needs to be checked out that I might have overlooked, such as a chain replacement.

3) Sort of along with #2, it would be nice to have a small bike emergency maintenance kit with all the basics that could be kept in a box or brought along on long rides. i would include stuff like Bulbs, Spark Plugs, and a metric wrench set.

4) Some cosmetic stuff on this bike has been bothering me. My muffler has obtained some notable rust and needs a good sanding and repainting. Same with the kickstand. The header pipe is in good shape but shows some small rust spots and discoloration. What would be the best way to clean up the header pipe?

5) Living in a suburb of Hartford, my aggressive dirt tires see little use. I would like to put some dual sport tires better suited for the road.

6) After I am confident that I am running a bike that has been properly maintained, I hope to throw on some of the few aftermarket options for the DR200. The Kientech Jet Kit and Exhaust Mod are high on my list. The aftermarket handlebars/fairing combo mentioned earlier would improve my highway riding dramatically. Different sprockets, LED lighting, etc.Oh, the possibilities...

Haha I could ramble on all day about my little DR.

- HeReTiK
HeReTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #907
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 98,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeReTiK
Haha I could ramble on all day about my little DR.

- HeReTiK
You're not alone there. Looks like you're on the right track with all the maintenance stuff.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #908
kelly007
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 43
the adiction:) maybe check the tappet clearance as well.
kelly007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #909
straight cut
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: GREAT BRITAIN
Oddometer: 136
Trail tyres will dramaticaly improve road handling ie Metzeler Enduro 1 and 2`s, Avon Gripsters or pirelli MT90A/T
On the bottom of the engine there is a plate held on by 3 bolts which the drain plug screws into.Remove this plate and you will find a mesh screen give this a clean
I have owned the enduro version DR200SJ for 10 years and 38,000mls
straight cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:43 PM   #910
wardie
2 Wheel Power Hour
 
wardie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Oddometer: 198
How do I post my DR pics?

Make it real simple. I've taken some pics of my new Happy Trails panniers and downloaded them to I don't know where? I want to attach them to a post and don't know how? Make it real easy or you'll lose me. Wardie
wardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #911
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 98,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardie
Make it real simple. I've taken some pics of my new Happy Trails panniers and downloaded them to I don't know where? I want to attach them to a post and don't know how? Make it real easy or you'll lose me. Wardie
Easiest way if you haven't posted pics before is to email them to me and I'll post them for you. PM sent.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #912
wardie
2 Wheel Power Hour
 
wardie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Oddometer: 198
manual + tires+ gearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeReTiK
Thanks for the link. It looks like a good deal but I've seen eBay listings for suzuki DR200 owner manuals that appear to be authentic, at about the same price as this bootleg(Around $20 or so). Either way it's still cheaper than paying somewhere between $50 and $100 for ordering a manual from a suzuki dealer.

Thanks for the handlebar mount pics. Tomorrow I will examine my bike more closely and check out the parts you mentioned.

Anyway, I took the bike out the road a lot more today. The bike seems to get to 55MPH fairly quickly, but acceleration past that seems to be gradual.

How much of a difference in top speed will I see if I replace my knobby tires with dual sport tires? Or will I see the difference mostly in handling?

I obviously didn't spend a great sum of money on this bike, but my goal was to find a good deal on a bike that was in excellent mechanical shape that I could ride and work on improving.

I don't have a car, so it is important to me that I do everything possible to ensure the reliability of my DR200. My top priorities are currently:
1) Get a Service Manual - before I make any stupid maintenance mistakes
2) With the manual in hand, I plan to do a full bike inspection and tune-up. I figure the most important things I should take of are
- Oil
- Oil Filter
- Fuel Lines
- Air Filter

I'm familiar with engine maintenance but have never done maintenance on a dirt bike like the DR200, so I figure the service manual will help me figure out what else needs to be checked out that I might have overlooked, such as a chain replacement.

3) Sort of along with #2, it would be nice to have a small bike emergency maintenance kit with all the basics that could be kept in a box or brought along on long rides. i would include stuff like Bulbs, Spark Plugs, and a metric wrench set.

4) Some cosmetic stuff on this bike has been bothering me. My muffler has obtained some notable rust and needs a good sanding and repainting. Same with the kickstand. The header pipe is in good shape but shows some small rust spots and discoloration. What would be the best way to clean up the header pipe?

5) Living in a suburb of Hartford, my aggressive dirt tires see little use. I would like to put some dual sport tires better suited for the road.

6) After I am confident that I am running a bike that has been properly maintained, I hope to throw on some of the few aftermarket options for the DR200. The Kientech Jet Kit and Exhaust Mod are high on my list. The aftermarket handlebars/fairing combo mentioned earlier would improve my highway riding dramatically. Different sprockets, LED lighting, etc.Oh, the possibilities...

Haha I could ramble on all day about my little DR.

- HeReTiK
I have the factory manual and it's got everything in it but the pics lack clarity. Honda andTriump have better manuals.

I am running IRC GP 110's. Try them I think you'll be happy for street and woods but no mud or sand.

I am running 15-41 and I can get her about 72 w/o drafting any trucks (78 with some drafting techniques). If you want to have higher top end and cruising speed you'll have to re-gear. Minor draw back is the speed will slow causing a downshift if the hill is steep and long. I felt the gearing change was a positive. I frequently take it out on the main higher speed roads and keep up in the mid 60's w/o pushing. Sometimes if I get a lot of traffic I stay in the right hand side of the road. No biggie.
wardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #913
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 98,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardie
Make it real simple. I've taken some pics of my new Happy Trails panniers and downloaded them to I don't know where? I want to attach them to a post and don't know how? Make it real easy or you'll lose me. Wardie
Here are your pictures, Wardie.























Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #914
wardie
2 Wheel Power Hour
 
wardie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Oddometer: 198
Additional oil with oil cooler?

With our DR 200's only holding 1 qt. of oil I sure would like to be able to run an oil cooler like the ag bikes but it looks like you have to change a lot of parts. Anyone have more info or modified their sumps? Wardie
__________________
Wardie
wardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:51 PM   #915
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer
 
Andyinhilo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Hilo, Hawaii
Oddometer: 1,588
oil cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardie
With our DR 200's only holding 1 qt. of oil I sure would like to be able to run an oil cooler like the ag bikes but it looks like you have to change a lot of parts. Anyone have more info or modified their sumps? Wardie
Wardie,

That is a mod I would like to do to mine too. From the photos I've seen of the ag bikes and the Japan spec DF200, I think that you could drill and tap out a spot in front of the oil filter on the clutch cover for one cooler line. It is easily visible and right where one of the lines attaches. There is a plug below the filter that looks to be where the other attaches. If we could get the part numbers, possibly one of the OZ, NZ or South African inmates could get the cooler, mounts and lines for us .

Andy
__________________
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014