Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2007, 02:50 AM   #91
ozadvntr
Planning that trip, again

Oddometer: 1,175
Here is my daughters DR200. I have removed all the rubbish from it to lighten it up for her as an off road bike. She rides it very hard and I have fitted a Michelin S12 up front and a Metzeler 6 days rear tyre. I have even ridden the bike and although down on power, thought it was fun.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:19 AM   #92
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
As many of you know I'm most active on the Minimalist Tourer thread with my DR200SE. I've recently gone from a 15:42 final to a 15:40 in the effort to achieve optimal performance for overlanding.

Found that the 40T wheel sprocket provided excellent performance at 45+ mph with a reasonable rolloff; but, there was a 20% loss in fuel economy (105 to 81 mpg). This test was performed with panniers fitted and figure total load was about 210lbs with rider and gear.

Where the bike could cruise at 4500rpm before with the 42T (40-42 mph) it needed at least 4900 to settle down with the 40T. Was using Shell V- power as fuel nevertheless this test verified how important W-Power (wind) is on small engines and economy.

Mick;

My 200 started off as my daughter's bike but when she opted for a Kawasaki our 200 sat until I started riding it after I broke my leg and couldn't handle anything heavier for a while. The 200's size and weight was so similar to my 78 Yammie IT175 (still have) it was a match. I have other bikes but really prefer the nimbleness of smaller lightweight bikes.

I see your 200's come with a kickstart which we do not have offered here in the states. Do you have someone in Australia that offers an online microfiche or a parts contact. I would like to fit that to mine. Not sure if I had the part numbers that I could order here or if I would have to order from an Australian dealer.

Thanks.

steve gs screwed with this post 06-25-2007 at 05:25 AM
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:04 AM   #93
ozadvntr
Planning that trip, again

Oddometer: 1,175
Steve,

My father has access to some wrecks. I will see if he can get you the gear.
Over here they have a heavier model called the Trojan as a farm bike. We did have another one as well, but it was the button only. The kick is great as it may be some time between rides for our little one so being able to kick it is handy.

I will see what I can come up with for you.

Mick
Old 06-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #94
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozadvntr
Steve,

My father has access to some wrecks. I will see if he can get you the gear.
Over here they have a heavier model called the Trojan as a farm bike. We did have another one as well, but it was the button only. The kick is great as it may be some time between rides for our little one so being able to kick it is handy.

I will see what I can come up with for you.

Mick

Thanks for the consideration. Not looking to give you any work on this issue. Just pointing me to a source would be great.

My Suzuki RGV250 is an Australian model; wish we could have had that stuff here.

Another great ride ... ...tell us about yours.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #95
gdeiss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Just Ride and Steve GS have both gone to 40T rear sprocket on their DR200s. Just Ride is a self-proclaimed 200 lbs, while Steve GS is 140 lbs. Just Ride sees quite a performance improvement, while Steve GS is not so sure, it seems. Just ride expects an improvement in gas mileage, but Steve GS sees a 20% drop.

I, too, had thought to go to a 42T or 40T, maybe even the easily found 39T for the rear. Now I'm thoroughly befuddled. I hope Tweeker43 can get his 39T installed soon and clear things up a bit.

gdeiss screwed with this post 06-26-2007 at 04:34 PM
gdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:05 PM   #96
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdeiss
Just Ride and Steve GS have both gone to 40T rear sprocket on their DR200s. Just Ride is a self-proclaimed 200 lbs, while Steve GS is 140 lbs. Just Ride sees quite a performance improvement, while Steve GS is not so sure, it seems. Just ride expects an improvement in gas mileage, but Steve GS sees a 20% drop.

I, too, had thought to go to a 42T or 40T, maybe even the easily found 39T for the rear. Now I'm thoroughly befuddled. I hope Tweeker43 can get his 39T installed soon and clear things up a bit.
thanks.

just what i need.

more pressure.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:58 PM   #97
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdeiss

Tweeker, the pressure is on.

I somewhat expected the drop in economy.

Once I took the rpm readings and saw the a 5th gear cruise at about 4900 I knew there would be a drop. How far I was not sure. The increased wind load is the major player here. The only other variable is the Shell V-Power that I was running in this tank.

I hit reserve at about 240mi and I'm still on reserve at 290 without a side flop to dump the right side fuel to the left (petcock side). I'm going for range mileage points to overall reserve, left, and finally right to get absolute range. Let me also note that the first 100 miles on this tank were with the 15:42 final, that was figured in when the fuel mileage was calculated.

Klay and others have done some tripping on their 200's reporting mileage in the 80's and they will run their bikes at a higher rpm than I do so I think I'm right in the mix.

With the 15:42 I try to cruise at 4500-4800 rpm and if I hold will always pull about 290 (about 105mpg) before hitting overall reserve point.

I've decided to go back to the 15:42 because I'm only 2 months away from my departure (James Bay Road) and need to sort out a few things. The trip length being 2500 miles I really prefer the 40-42 mph cruise (easy on engine and less wind resistance) to 45+ though it may take longer and the battle with traffic at certain points may be more of a challenge.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:56 PM   #98
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,666
I found that lowering the rpms at a given cruising speed took too much power from the engine for a person my size (200 pounds) with camping gear on the bike. I can get 70 to 80 miles to the gallon, but only if I keep cruising speed between 30 and 40 or so. I invariably push faster on a long trip. Good thing the DR200 has a bigger gas tank.

I have a 16 tooth front sprocket for the 200 if anyone wants one.

Steve, maybe you could think about putting one of those orange flags on a whip on the tail of the bike...then it would be clear to traffic that you're moving slower, or they might even think you're on a bicycle.

I just kept to the extreme right when traffic came up behind me and then I would pull over if necessary to let traffic by. It didn't feel like too much of a problem. But of course that was rural Minnesota and North Dakota.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:03 PM   #99
VascoMerlin
He'll Stab Your Cat

Oddometer: 413
Where was this thread when I still owned my DR.

Now I regret selling the damn thing.

Now I am starting to get nostalgic

www.revzilla.com
VascoMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:05 AM   #100
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
I found that lowering the rpms at a given cruising speed took too much power from the engine for a person my size (200 pounds) with camping gear on the bike. I can get 70 to 80 miles to the gallon, but only if I keep cruising speed between 30 and 40 or so. I invariably push faster on a long trip. Good thing the DR200 has a bigger gas tank.
If I remember right you were running the 15:45 final (OEM)and it has a sweet spot at 37 mph indicated. With the 15:40 I tried, anything below 4900/45mph/in 5th (GPS) you could tell the engine was lugging, it really needed to spin up. This pup only has so much power, if you need more get a bigger bike. However, it gave perfect rpm running points at 25,35, and 45 mph (GPS reading).

Our 250 Ninja is the same way; with a 15:41 final (I think OEM is 14:45) and limiting the rpm's to 6000 (60 mph) the darn thing will get 90mpg. If you like to play in the 7000-10000+ range you are down to 80mpg or less. Though mathematically this 250 should be able to run 140mph, wind loads in the real world limit it's top speed to just a touch over 100mph (land speed record).

Just went with the Bridgestone TW 301 and 302's to replace my worn out TW 18 and 19. Though they are a touch larger, I compared rim sizes of several bikes I have and these should be a good fit. Will post pics when fitted. Unlike many of you my intent is use the DR200SE as a MT rig and the Bridgestones look to be a good compromise for me for surfaced and dirt road traveling.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #101
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,945
it may be a while before i put on the 39T sprocket. with over 700 miles on bike the engine has become substantially more compliant, and cruises easily at 45mph.

i've had several highway runs at 55 and everything seems fine at that speed as well (although the engine is obviously hurried).

all speeds are indicated, btw.

as the bike does see the occasional deep sand, mud, dirt and gravel, i'm trying to keep enough torque to the rear wheel to keep things moving.

given steve's reports as well, it would appear as if the 42T rear is about optimal and a 39/40T sprocket may be too much.

as soon as i get my ass in gear i will try out the 39T, but i'm really not feeling the need at this moment.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:54 PM   #102
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay

Steve, maybe you could think about putting one of those orange flags on a whip on the tail of the bike...then it would be clear to traffic that you're moving slower, or they might even think you're on a bicycle.
Klay, I was thinking of using one of these.

What do you think; just trying to do my part to improve international relations and the image of motorcyclists. Figure this would go over real well in Quebec.

On a more serious note; fitted and tested those Bridgestone TW 301 and 302 tires. Lugs are deeper than the TW18 and 19's (and mine were worn out) and it brought my speedo almost exactly inline with the GPS. Will post pics over the weekend.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #103
Klay
dreaming adventurer

When I put the Kendas on my 200, the speedometer became spot-on accurate. I didn't check the odometer...it probably threw the odometer off.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:49 PM   #104
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney
Where was this thread when I still owned my DR.

Now I regret selling the damn thing.

Now I am starting to get nostalgic
It's never too late to pick another one up. I'd be really unhappy without my minibike. I've gotten an amount of carefree fun from the bike all out of proportion to what it cost. Maybe it'll need a valve job someday, but other than that, it seems it's going to last me a lifetime, ot at least until gasoline is not longer available.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:08 PM   #105
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
I bought my lady a dr 200 about seven years ago. Well it has been sitting in the corner for about five years now and the batterys been dead for a couple. Oh yeah and it has less than 300 miles on it.
Because of this thread I'm going to get a battery and crank the suspension back up to normal height, then go out and have some fun with it. Thanks I needed that.
LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote