ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #1471
BadBikerBob
Big Dude on a Little Bike
 
BadBikerBob's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 2
Wink Hello All

New guy here. And current owner of a 2000 DR200. I got it stock with 7000km on it (about 4300 miles i think). It's had a rough life but I'm slowly breathing some life back into it.

I have replaced the exhaust with an aftermarket unit designed for a KLR650. (stock is totally shot!) So obviously it has substantially more volume, so I machined a reducer for the pipe and a restrictor plate/baffle for the muffler and modified the mount etc. Everything looks great and the project is coming along nicely. I drilled out the stock main jet (125) to about a 142, and the plug is still just a bit on the white side for my taste. Everything is running great, but I think it still needs to be richened up. So....my question. Would it perhaps be beneficial to raise my needle just a bit? Idle speed is great, and midrange feels OKish for a 200, I guess I'm just looking for some more opinions!
BadBikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:38 PM   #1472
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
HeReTiK's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 259
I shipped out my extra muffler to Jesse this morning. Shipping was $35 from here (CT) to Kientech in Oregon. By the time I get it back I will have probably spent almost $100. But, from everything I've heard here, the exhaust mod is well worth the money.

I can still ride my DR200 in the meantime, since I sent out the spare muffler. :)

Maybe once I make the swap I'll send the other muffler to Kientech as well and sell it. Hmm...

Right now I'm working on putting together an order of misc parts for my bike. Alot of bolts and washers need replacement, and both my levers are broken at the ends. My grips are falling apart as well.

I'm going camping on memorial day weekend. Should be pretty AWESOME, especially with the cycleracks.com rear rack on there.

I took pics yesterday, I just have to find the cable for my camera and I will post shortly. :)

Happy Riding,
ReT
HeReTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #1473
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 98,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBikerBob
New guy here. And current owner of a 2000 DR200. I got it stock with 7000km on it (about 4300 miles i think). It's had a rough life but I'm slowly breathing some life back into it.

I have replaced the exhaust with an aftermarket unit designed for a KLR650. (stock is totally shot!) So obviously it has substantially more volume, so I machined a reducer for the pipe and a restrictor plate/baffle for the muffler and modified the mount etc. Everything looks great and the project is coming along nicely. I drilled out the stock main jet (125) to about a 142, and the plug is still just a bit on the white side for my taste. Everything is running great, but I think it still needs to be richened up. So....my question. Would it perhaps be beneficial to raise my needle just a bit? Idle speed is great, and midrange feels OKish for a 200, I guess I'm just looking for some more opinions!
Welcome to advrider. It wouldn't hurt to tinker with the needle a little...raise it one step and see how it goes.

Where are you located? Canada?
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #1474
BadBikerBob
Big Dude on a Little Bike
 
BadBikerBob's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
Welcome to advrider. It wouldn't hurt to tinker with the needle a little...raise it one step and see how it goes.

Where are you located? Canada?
I think I will tinker a bit tonight once the kids are asleep! Yup. Canada eh?!

About an hour and a half west of Toronto.
BadBikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:14 PM   #1475
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist
 
Nessman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Everett, WA
Oddometer: 1,565
Hey everybody, my first visit to DR200sville.

New to the garage is a Y2K DR200:



$500, an impulse purchase that I don't regret...yet.


My Moto Guzzi Quota hates the 6 mile commute to work so I've been looking for a tiddler on the cheap. I had my eye on a CB125 on CL when this little beauty popped up. She's got a few issues to deal but it runs/shifts/brakes as well as could be expected for $500.

I know NOTHING about DR200s so I'll be getting a service manual and diving in. Anybody know what the compression should be?
__________________
'07 Bandit 1250ABS
Nessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #1476
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 98,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyman
Hey everybody, my first visit to DR200sville.

New to the garage is a Y2K DR200:




Anybody know what the compression should be?
Howdy

My manual says 199 psi is normal, and the lower limit is 139 psi.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #1477
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 98,744
Okay, I gave the 200 the full Kientech treatment tonight...new needle, bigger main jet, leave the airbox cover off, and bigger exhaust nozzle. Ride report to follow tomorrow. We'll see what she's got now.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:53 AM   #1478
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist
 
CodyY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Oddometer: 9,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
Okay, I gave the 200 the full Kientech treatment tonight...new needle, bigger main jet, leave the airbox cover off, and bigger exhaust nozzle. Ride report to follow tomorrow. We'll see what she's got now.
Youll put your eye out
__________________
Not an ACTUAL motorcyclist
CodyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:16 AM   #1479
wardie
2 Wheel Power Hour
 
wardie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Oddometer: 198
My DR 200 SE with Happy Trails panniers

Looking to sell my 2006 DR 200 SE with 3500 miles. Added GPC tires and Happy Trails racks and panniers. $2900 for everything. Bike in excellent condition 95% paved roads and 5% dirt road to my camp. $2600 without racks and panniers. Live south of Cleveland, Ohio. email me at kbike85@hotmail.com

looking to move up to DR 350 which is the reason why I am thinking of selling my pup. Wardie
__________________
Wardie
wardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #1480
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
HeReTiK's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 259
Hey I would really appreciate a quick response on this one:

I went to change my oil yesterday, and accidentally refilled the reservoir with 950ml, as opposed to 850ml (The bottles come in 950ml, so I just made a careless mistake). I did * not * change the oil filter.

Would I be harming the engine by running it with an extra 100ml of oil?

Please let me know,

ReT
HeReTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:13 AM   #1481
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeReTiK
Hey I would really appreciate a quick response on this one:

I went to change my oil yesterday, and accidentally refilled the reservoir with 950ml, as opposed to 850ml (The bottles come in 950ml, so I just made a careless mistake). I did * not * change the oil filter.

Would I be harming the engine by running it with an extra 100ml of oil?

Please let me know,

ReT
I never measure the oil going in, I just fill it to the full mark. Run the bike for a few minutes to fill the filter (which I always change) and then just top up as needed to get to some where between the full and add lines.

Just check it with the sight glass, you can get a pretty good idea of how over full it may be by watching the sight glass as you stand the bike to vertical. If it's even showing in the glass while on the side stand then you're over full and I'd drain some, but just rock the bike back and forth from leaned to vertical and go from there. Too much oil will probably get dumped into your air box so check that if it was over full.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #1482
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 98,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY
Youll put your eye out
I put in the bigger main jet and the new needle from Kientech in last night. This set-up involves leaving the whole airbox cover off. I took it for a ride today and decided I couldn't feel any additional power over the way it used to be set up, and the intake honk was now obnoxious.

I put the older needle and jet back in and put the airbox cover back on, I think I'm happier with the bike this way.

Klay screwed with this post 05-14-2009 at 05:11 PM
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #1483
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer
 
Andyinhilo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Hilo, Hawaii
Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
I put in the bigger main jet and the new needle from Kientech in last night. This set-up involves leaving the whole airbox cover off. I took it for a ride today and decided I couldn't feel any additional power over the way it used to be set up, and the intake honk was now obnoxious.

I put the older needle and jet back in and put the airbox cover back on, I think I'm happeier with the bike this way.
I thought that is what would happen. You did the exhaust, right? How is the noise level there? I hate loud bikes!
__________________
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:43 PM   #1484
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
....and the intake honk was now obnoxious.
I told you so

The intake is really loud without the cover. Much louder than exhaust when getting on the throttle.

Jesse's mod to the muffler makes it barely louder at all, I still like that one.

--
Mikko
FlyingFinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #1485
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 98,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo
I thought that is what would happen. You did the exhaust, right? How is the noise level there? I hate loud bikes!
The exhaust mod is not too loud. It's noticeably louder, but still reasonable.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014