Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #16
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotobo
Trailryder 42 is absolutely right. You really don't need gps tracks for the Rainbow trail. There is several places to access it and once you get on it you can't get off of it accidentally. I know gps tracks are nice, I use them a lot. But don't pass up the Rainbow just because you don't have any tracks of it.
You don't seam to get it, I have no idea where it even is. Just post a track and I can drive right to the start or any of the access points!

Go to my private library on GPSXchange.com and you can see where thousands of miles of trails are located in CA/NV.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:15 AM   #17
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
You don't seam to get it, I have no idea where it even is. Just post a track and I can drive right to the start or any of the access points!

Go to my private library on GPSXchange.com and you can see where thousands of miles of trails are located in CA/NV.
Just checked my track files and it looks like I didn't save it. If you can't get any tracks from anyone, I can tell you how to get to it. I normally access it from Salida. If you take 108 South right out of the center of Salida you will go several miles and you will see a sign on the right that says Rainbow Trail. If you turn right there it is only a short section of the trail that takes you over to Poncha Springs. It is really a spectacular ride though. If you continue on down 108 you will come to another Rainbow trail sign on the left. This is where the majority of the trail is. Turn left here and will take you all the way to the sand dunes where it ends or begins. It is an all day ride down there though. Hope this helps.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:50 AM   #18
1stworks
dude

Oddometer: 1,608
Rainbow Trail

Heres some pics of Rainbow Trail.

enjoy

more pics here.

http://firstworks.smugmug.com/galler...6_6NFoK#P-1-12

firstworks
1stworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:14 AM   #19
fotobo
KTM rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstworks
Heres some pics of Rainbow Trail.

enjoy

more pics here.

http://firstworks.smugmug.com/galler...6_6NFoK#P-1-12

firstworks
Great pics. Looks like you were there in the fall.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #20
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,894
Rainbow

A guy just posted part of it on GPSXchange.com
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Rainbow.gpx (137.4 KB, 443 views)
Old 05-16-2008, 07:58 PM   #21
fotobo
KTM rider

Quote:
A guy just posted part of it on GPSXchange.com
That is the North section that I always ride. That is a good place to start. It continues on South from there.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:52 PM   #22
gpracer171
Kodak Courage

Oddometer: 358
Taking the trip

All, I am planning a trip to ride the entire Rainbow trail from North to south in the next few weeks (early July). I have drawn the route and added tracks for the north section that were posted above. However, I am new to the Dual Sport world and have not yet aquired a GPS. I have the Topo map with the info I have thus far for everyones use. On the Map you will also find driving directions for the wife to meet at camp for the evening and pick us up. PM me with an email address as I cannot upload the .tpo file from the national geographics TOPO porgram type to the forum.

Now I know these things are pricy but I would be willing to take one on the ride to collect data topost when the trip is complete. PM me and let me know if anyone is interested, just thoughht I would check.

2010 BWM F800GS
2007 Yamaha WR450

If you are not moving forward, you are falling behind...

"Harley Davidson - There is not more efficient method of converting fossil fuel to heat and noise without the by-product of power", Unknown

gpracer171 screwed with this post 06-10-2008 at 03:25 PM
gpracer171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #23
enigmatic_redhabu
I really wanna be....

Oddometer: 2,789
Quote:

Well...Go to Salida and buy trail map.
Jinny
enigmatic_redhabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #24
gpracer171
Kodak Courage

Nice try..

Just tried the Rainbow trail this weekend to less than stellar success. We started at hwy 285. The first 3.5-mile were VERY tough for the intermediate riders and for my buddies KTM and challenging for and expert rider. First casualty was the KTM with a tall 1st gear MX bike it stalled and would not restart when hot) so the KTM turned around and bailed out 1.5 miles in. That left me with a flat lander. He suffered through the first 3.5 mile with a few get offs and then it became more flowing and a bit fun but that was short lived. He did OK until after we passed the CR108 (the last out for several mile). Then the altitude and fatigue set in hard. He bunked badly and started crashing and running off the trail every few hundred yards. I kept him going (picking up the bike as he could hardly pick himself up) and we made it to Kerr Gulch and took the roads back to Lake Creek CG. 9 hours later we were safely back in camp.

This is a VERY ROCKY trail. It seemed to have few spots that you could get a good flow going if you were not an advanced rider and able to flow over the trail filled with as many cantaloupe sized rocks as could be fit into any one trail. We did 27 miles in 1st gear, not much fun . When I was on my own I was averaging about 18-22 mph versus the intermediate flatlander at 10 tops and 4-7 average .

I will say that the shelf trails are quite fun as well as the small water crossings. However these are a lesser % of the trail and rocks rule here 80%+.

2010 BWM F800GS
2007 Yamaha WR450

"Harley Davidson - There is not more efficient method of converting fossil fuel to heat and noise without the by-product of power", Unknown
Old 07-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #25
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
For your first taste of the RT you tackled probably the most difficult section of the trail. It's not all like that. Don't give up on the rest of it.
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #26
gpracer171
Kodak Courage

suggestions

We are going back. What is the better sections? I like trails that have some flow and you can trist the thottle a bit. I am open to any suggestions. I did not mention it earlier, but we did head north from Lake Crek CG for a bit as well (maybe 3-5 miles). It was pretty rockky as well.

2010 BWM F800GS
2007 Yamaha WR450

Old 02-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #27
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,750
I've got 18 miles of the trail saved in my TOPO! program, but I have no idea how to export it. If anyone can tell me, I'll share it. This section runs from Alvarado Campground to Music Pass.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:39 AM   #28
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,274
I've been drooling over doing this pass and other CO passes. I got a wr250f and I ride enduros so the tougher the route the more fun it is! If I could request though, you guys should post what types of bikes you're on and how you're loaded down with gear. less weight and lighter bikes seems to be the ticket here!
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #29
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidennis
I've been drooling over doing this pass and other CO passes. I got a wr250f and I ride enduros so the tougher the route the more fun it is! If I could request though, you guys should post what types of bikes you're on and how you're loaded down with gear. less weight and lighter bikes seems to be the ticket here!
I was on a YZ400F with just a small backpack. Springs were too tight for all the rocks in the trail. A 250 would be much better for this trail. Your bike, an XR400, or the like would be best IMO. Travel light with your gear.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #30
BigSwampPig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Rainbow Trail is back from the dead!!!

Riding the Rainbow trail in 10 days. Want to camp at Alvarado and leave a vehicle at the south end trailhead one day and the north end trailhead the next so we can drive back.

Is there parking available at the northern and southern ends of the trail?

Any other tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike
BigSwampPig is offline   Reply With Quote