Oddometer: 75
Bring asprin was right! Hell of a ride!
BigSwampPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #34
BigStick
Discovering

Oddometer: 48
Rainbow Trail Double Feature

Resurrecting an old thread with some useful information.

Here’s a ride report of Lightrider and I doing both directions of Rainbow last year: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1764060

You can also download the gps track there.

Enjoy!

-‘Stick!

"A motorcycle is whatever you want to make it. Turn it on and you can give yourself a real thrill!"
~ Bruce Brown, On Any Sunday

AMA Lifetime Member
BigStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #35
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
Here’s a ride report of Lightrider and I doing both directions of Rainbow last year: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1764060

You can also download the gps track there. -‘Stick!
Can't find tracks on that site. Many people are looking for tracks, can you attach them here?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #36
sanluissound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Rainbow Trail in the Northern SLV

BigStick -
I couldn't quite tell from the GPS.. Does the Rainbow Trail cross from East to West at the Northern end on the Sangres or did you pick up Hayden Pass there?

If it is indeed the RT, how is that ride over? I'm planning a trip around the SLV this spring and will be crossing East to West up there somehow.

Countdown -
The GPS tracks are only available if you log into erverytrail.com, look in the bottom right hand corner of the page.

Been lurking here on ADV for a while and now finally a member, looking forward to it!

- Joe
sanluissound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #37
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluissound View Post
Countdown -
The GPS tracks are only available if you log into erverytrail.com, look in the bottom right hand corner of the page. - Joe
Thanks I wondered if that was case but didn't try.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #38
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

The above trip had a really bad track. this is what I have collected over time.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Rainbow All.gpx (221.0 KB, 78 views)
Old 03-07-2013, 05:52 AM   #39
BigStick
Discovering

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
BigStick -
I couldn't quite tell from the GPS.. Does the Rainbow Trail cross from East to West at the Northern end on the Sangres or did you pick up Hayden Pass there?

If it is indeed the RT, how is that ride over? I'm planning a trip around the SLV this spring and will be crossing East to West up there somehow.

Countdown -
The GPS tracks are only available if you log into erverytrail.com, look in the bottom right hand corner of the page.

Been lurking here on ADV for a while and now finally a member, looking forward to it!

- Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
The above trip had a really bad track. this is what I have collected over time.
Welcome aboard Joe! I hope you have a great spring trip...watch for snow. Take a look at Ramz's thread from last year for an idea of conditions in the area: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776036 I'm guessing he/they will be updating it sometime soon. Great group of peeps in the Salida area.

No, we didn't cross the Sangres on our ride, but I like Jerry's tracks into Parkville and Villa Grove. Seems like you could put together a nice big loop with those tracks. Of course, you can also cross the Sangres at the south end of Rainbow over Medano Pass.

Jerry, Yes, the everytrail track is pretty low resolution which I guess makes it "bad". Here's our full resolution track.

-'Stick!
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Rainbow Trail Tracks 090712.gpx (1.49 MB, 81 views)

"A motorcycle is whatever you want to make it. Turn it on and you can give yourself a real thrill!"
~ Bruce Brown, On Any Sunday

AMA Lifetime Member
BigStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #40
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
No, we didn't cross the Sangres on our ride, but I like Jerry's tracks into Parkville and Villa Grove. Seems like you could put together a nice big loop with those tracks. Of course, you can also cross the Sangres at the south end of Rainbow over Medano Pass.

Jerry, Yes, the everytrail track is pretty low resolution which I guess makes it "bad". Here's our full resolution track. -'Stick!
Stick,

MANY thanks, finally someone posted real tracks of the whole thing which was the question that started this thread. Sorry about "bad" not descriptive at all. Having real active logs you can see MPH for any section and get an idea of how hard it is. Again THANK YOU so much for this log, I have been waiting a couple of years.

Yes I noticed the possibility of a giant loop.

For all, I will clean up my file and post it on GPSXchange.com so it is quick to find when this thread works it way to page x in a few weeks.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #41
sanluissound
Adventurer

Thumb SLV intel

Stick,
Thanks for the great link and GPS track! I discovered Ramz' site while researching the eventual purchase of my WR250R. It's great to see he's so active on this forum and in the woods. (should he be getting a USFS stipend?!)

Two of us will be circumnavigating the San Luis Valley over a 2+ week period. We're shooting a documentary about adventure riding, photography and music. We have decided to support ourselves (no camera crew) so in addition to the audio and photography gear we're hauling our video equipment. On top of that will be our camping/cooking gear and the like. It's bordering on an asinine amount of stuff that we're hauling. We intend to be off road as much as possible so having a handle on the snow levels will be critical.

We plan on crossing North to South, over 50 at Cotopaxi then East to West over Hayden Pass to get us into the valley. From there we'll be tracking through Crestone, the Alien Watchtower and every other odd place we can find on our way down to the Dunes where will pop over Medano. We've got a route down and around the lower part of the valley that I'm pretty confident will be snow free but the northern sections (we'll also be going up and over around Bonanza), at altitude are my concern.

It will be an adventure none the less! Thanks again for the welcome and yes the Salida area does seem to be filled with good folk that contribute to this forum.
- Joe

Quote:
Welcome aboard Joe! I hope you have a great spring trip...watch for snow. Take a look at Ramz's thread from last year for an idea of conditions in the area: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776036 I'm guessing he/they will be updating it sometime soon. Great group of peeps in the Salida area.

Jerry, Yes, the everytrail track is pretty low resolution which I guess makes it "bad". Here's our full resolution track.

-'Stick!
Old 03-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #42
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Rainbow Trail Tracks

okay, finished product with some possible optons for a big loop but Rainbow trail takes 10 hours so it would be 2-days.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Rainbow All.gpx (1.16 MB, 87 views)

Countdown screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 03:50 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #43
sanluissound
Adventurer

Nice Rainbow Route

Countdown,
Nice tracks, thanks. The run down from Hayden Pass through Crestone and on to the Dunes then over Medano is what I have in mind for part of my trip down there this spring.

The word from Crestone is that the one and only gas station there will be closing soon. So keep in mind your nearest locations will be Villa Grove and Hooper (the station with the enormous roads side chickens).

I can't wait to get down there!
- Joe

Quote:
okay, finished product with some possible optons for a big loop but Rainbow trail takes 10 hours so it would be 2-days.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #44
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The run down from Hayden Pass through Crestone and on to the Dunes then over Medano is what I have in mind for part of my trip down there this spring.

The word from Crestone is that the one and only gas station there will be closing soon. So keep in mind your nearest locations will be Villa Grove and Hooper (the station with the enormous roads side chickens).- Joe
Joe, you would run the north end both ways with a loop in the south? I was thinking about a giant loop using half the the Bonanza loop tracks.

There is gas for sure in Hooper? Please PM or e-mail me if you do it so I can get tracks.

I was working on better CDR trail but got side tracked by recording the GWT in AZ & UT closer to home and no one has done except Big Dog years ago with old GPS that makes Stick's "bad" tracks look good.

Jerry
Old 03-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #45
sanluissound
Adventurer

Talking San Luis Valley super loop and unknown acronyms

I was not very complete in my description.. Enter the valley east to west over the Hayden Pass then south to the dunes and west to east over Medano then a big ass loop around the bottom of the Colorado portion of the valley. We'd probably go through the Alamosa National Wildlife Refuge then to the Summitville Trail, onto Wheeler Geological area and from there make our way towards Bonanza and some sort of northern (on the west side) exit of the SLV.

I think there's gas in Hooper.. We've been going there for 20 years - all over the valley - hiking, camping, climbing, hot spring soaking, whiskey and bonfires, etc. There's been places coming and going but as of our last few trips Miss Deb's has been there -

https://plus.google.com/112862033751...ut?gl=us&hl=en

Embarrassing but what are the CDR and GWT? I want to ride them all! My wife and I will be hitting the UT BDR somewhere south of Sandy, UT (where ever the snow allows us) at the end of this month for a week.

- Joe

Quote:
Joe, you would run the north end both ways with a loop in the south? I was thinking about a giant loop using half the the Bonanza loop tracks.

There is gas for sure in Hooper? Please PM or e-mail me if you do it so I can get tracks.

I was working on better CDR trail but got side tracked by recording the GWT in AZ & UT closer to home and no one has done except Big Dog years ago with old GPS that makes Stick's "bad" tracks look good.

Jerry