Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #14986
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
You only need a gasket for the cylinder-case and head gasket. Cometic makes a kit with both gaskets. Then there is the exhaust seal. I got a no-name exhaust seal off ebay for about $3. It was ugly and looked low quality but it seems to work. I think there are also a few O-rings and copper washers on the oil lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
Kydex is a thermoplastic sheet material. Heat it up in the oven, then form it.
"Kydex® sheet is an extremely durable Acrylic-PVC alloy extruded in a range of colors, textures, and patterns. Kydex® thickness ranges from .028 to .250 and full sheets are available in 48" x 96" and 48" x 120 ft rolls. Kydex® can be thermoformed, post formed, brake formed and laminated."
http://www.interstateplastics.com/ky...for_sale_E.php

Used for many things - but not UV resistant or rated for unprotected outdoor use. It's hard, slick and springy, so it would be a great material for a frame guard - except for the sun eating it up. Might last long enough not to care.
We use kydex holsters at work. They work for a while but the sun eats them up. But while they last they are durable and scratch resistant.

Page 1000!

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #14987
O'Hooligan
Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
Just looked at my manual. The wire from the CDI that grounds the ignition is B/Y. Sounds like the ignition switch lost it's ground through the B/W wire, as you said, or the contacts in the switch are bad.
Thanks for the info. I checked out the wiring and nothing seemed out of the ordinary, cleaned/rechecked connections and put it all back together and its still the same problem. I guess it could be the ignition switch?
O'Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #14988
TopDeadCenter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDeadCenter View Post
I adjusted it every which way from loose to beyond tight. I would still always kill when popped into 1st. When I bought it the motor was absolutly filled with gas from a bad float valve/petcock issue. Maybe that had something to do with it.

I'll check all the frictions and steels and check for drag in the basket before I get to taking everything apart.

How much clearance is too much? I guess I can look in the manual. OK jut looked and didn't find anything in my manual.

Thanks guys. I going on a trip so I hope to get to it in two weeks. Wish I could get it done now.

TDC
I think I'm in the running for the "Dumbass of the Year". My shoulder is finally is a state where I can wrench on the bike again so I went out to work on it. I figured I would see if the clutch would break loose at all so I reved it up a little and snicked it into gear. This time I noticed it never jerked and just died. So I got brave and gave it a bit more. Same thing, no drama. So I stood there looking at the bike for a while and noticed the side stand switch.

Well duh!

Wouldn't you know it. When you have the sidestand up the bike will continue to run when shifted into gear.

In my defense, I have never owned a bike new enough to have a sidestand switch.

And after talking with Ratski it sounds like it will be disabled. He askied if I feel stupid. I said only if I do it again.

TDC

GS850GLX
DR350SE
TopDeadCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #14989
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
We use kydex holsters at work. They work for a while but the sun eats them up. But while they last they are durable and scratch resistant.

Page 1000!
Good info! You would definitely be using them outdoors in the sun. What is the usable life? How bad do they get before they fail, and what is the fail mode?

Thanks.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #14990
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Hooligan View Post
Thanks for the info. I checked out the wiring and nothing seemed out of the ordinary, cleaned/rechecked connections and put it all back together and its still the same problem. I guess it could be the ignition switch?
Should be pretty easy to check. The B/Y wire coming out of the switch should be grounded when the switch is off.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #14991
O'Hooligan
Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Should be pretty easy to check. The B/Y wire coming out of the switch should be grounded when the switch is off.
The b/y wire connects into a standard connection and goes into the wiring harness?
O'Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #14992
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Hooligan View Post
The b/y wire connects into a standard connection and goes into the wiring harness?
Yes. That B/Y wire goes to the CDI and is grounded through the ignition switch by the B/W wire when the switch is off. Easiest way to check the connection in the switch is with a continuity tester ( multimeter, or test light). The B/Y wire and B/W wire should have continuity (be connected by the contacts in the switch) when the switch is off. In order to shut off the CDI the B/Y wire from the CDI is grounded, In this case by the B/W wires (through the key switch) which are grounded. Hope that makes sence. I seem to be talking in circles. Sorry, Can't remember how to make my scanner work to post the wiring diagram.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #14993
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes. That B/Y wire goes to the CDI and is grounded through the ignition switch by the B/W wire when the switch is off. Easiest way to check the connection in the switch is with a continuity tester ( multimeter, or test light). The B/Y wire and B/W wire should have continuity (be connected by the contacts in the switch) when the switch is off. In order to shut off the CDI the B/Y wire from the CDI is grounded, In this case by the B/W wires (through the key switch) which are grounded. Hope that makes sence. I seem to be talking in circles. Sorry, Can't remember how to make my scanner work to post the wiring diagram.
Here's one that might help... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=6559
Old 03-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #14994
OldUKBikerGuy
Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 26
Just wanted to add to Rugged Exposure's note that this thread has now reached its epic 1000th page!

I've worked my way through every one of them, and I have learned an incredible amount about the good old DR350 that has saved me untold time and money.

Many thanks to the guys that set up and run this thread, and to everyone that has contributed over the years!
OldUKBikerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #14995
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Good info! You would definitely be using them outdoors in the sun. What is the usable life? How bad do they get before they fail, and what is the fail mode?

Thanks.
I can't say I've seen one broken, however I have seen a few times the pistol break before the holster.
Here is actually a pic of me holding one (luckily not mine, this was taken in the emergency room), and somehow this pic wandered through the internet and I found it...

You can see the top half of the pistol still in the holster. I'm not sure if it is an actual 'Kydex' material, but something similar.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #14996
reinstein7
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Dr350s new parts for sale

Hey guys i have a bunch of new parts from ebay, dennis kirk and bike bandit for a 1990 dr350s... like fmf exhaust, ims tank new plastic, acerbis cyclops headlight way to much to list, if you are interested email me at reinstein7@gmail.com i have most for a complete rebuild, just ask what you need and i have it. Have swing arm painted with new bearings never used et etc etc
reinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #14997
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 4,627
Last spring I spent a few weeks reading every post in this thread, and have kept up with it since then. Now I just wanted to post on Page 1000.

So I did.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #14998
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
How 'bout completely gone paint? Rusty metal instead, that keeps on wearing down. Not absolutely horrible, but:

Hello,

A little rust?
Patina from a bygone era, gives character!!

Hey Columbo, oops, Rugged,
Glad to see you're back to the dr as will come in handy when you want to get a little frisky with the throttle in the dirt. Head gasket at dealer was
$35.00, ouch. Covers just used liquid gasket sealer. No leaks at all. My mechanic neighbor that is. I wreck everything. No, not even the top end!
Good luck with your bike.

Heirhead
Worlds worst mechanic
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:23 AM   #14999
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
HEY, Rugged....

You get your DR back together and running properly yet? was curious what yinz came up with, but couldnt find any results posted here.

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #15000
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
HEY, Rugged....

You get your DR back together and running properly yet? was curious what yinz came up with, but couldnt find any results posted here.

Its back together, and runs. But still is having the same issues. Only thing different now is that is has a lot more compression. I REALLY have to stand on the kicker to get it to turn over.

But once it fires up it runs fine until it warms up then falls on its face. Pulling the choke helps some, so now it has me thinking its a carb issue again and not electrical. Bullitman281 is heading down this coming weekend for a cross country trip and will look at it. If he can't diagnose it while he's here I'm having him haul it home to CO and mess with it over the summer.