User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #15211
Farmer Palmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
DR350 Painted Acerbis Tank........???

Just bought a nice wee 8,000mile 98 DR350 and the previous owner has had the Acerbis 16 litre tank 'professionally' painted black to match the rest of the bike.

I always thought these tanks couldn't be painted so should i just leave it as it is and see what happens as i always like to leave the bike with a full tank or do i remove the paint and risk damaging the tank in the process using some sort of thinners or paint remover?

Any thoughts?

Thanks FP.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #15212
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,163
Anybody interested in selling an older DR250/DR350 in the MidAtlantic?
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #15213
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Palmer View Post
Just bought a nice wee 8,000mile 98 DR350 and the previous owner has had the Acerbis 16 litre tank 'professionally' painted black to match the rest of the bike.

I always thought these tanks couldn't be painted so should i just leave it as it is and see what happens as i always like to leave the bike with a full tank or do i remove the paint and risk damaging the tank in the process using some sort of thinners or paint remover?

Any thoughts?

Thanks FP.
I don't know anything about painting plastic tanks, heck I can't even get stickers to stay on without air bubbles, but if it looks ok don't think I'd mess with it. Might really make a mess trying get that stuff off there.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #15214
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
I don't know anything about painting plastic tanks, heck I can't even get stickers to stay on without air bubbles, but if it looks ok don't think I'd mess with it. Might really make a mess trying get that stuff off there.
I bought mine with paint on the tank and it looked great. Months later the fuel bubbles started. I would leave it until it goes wrong. IMS will special make their tank in any color you want. I am keeping my color scheme thanks to that. So that is also a future option.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #15215
Wudscrasher
Stand-Up Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Palmer View Post

Any thoughts?

Thanks FP.
Ride the piss out of it. Just bought a '94SER with 8700mi, and the stock metal tank and other plastic was painted, all black. Sale included an ugly plastic 2.5-gal tank I just did with black Fusion & several clear-coats. Will it bubble? Sure. Do I care? not really, as it'll be scratched to hell by the time I get around to selling it in many years, and by that time, it'll be a 25-30-year-old bike. If the buyer cares about some scratched & bubbled paint, they should look at buying another bike. I'll spend the $100 to buy new plastic if I thought I could get another $200 out of the sale, but really, you have an old bike in great mechanical condition. That's what matters. Don't worry about it, just enjoy your new ride!
'94 DR 350SER
Wudscrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #15216
Rich667
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
16 tooth sprockets

has anyone ever had an issue with the chain roller under the swingarm wearing out from using a 16T front sprocket? I kept feeling a weird vibration at low speeds and I discovered that the bearings had exploded and nothing was left. It looks like the chain is constantly touching the roller I guess causing it to wear out. could have just worn out from age too. I have a spare one off a DR 250 and it looks like this one is just a bushing. Im wondering how this one will hold up with no bearings.
Rich667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #15217
boardforever
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Fuel in the oil

Ok so tonight after a ride the bike had a little bit of a funny smell, checked the dipstick, and white gunk. So I checked on here and it looks like that is a sign of fuel in the oil, is an oil change good enough or do I need to flush it somehow? Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #15218
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardforever View Post
Ok so tonight after a ride the bike had a little bit of a funny smell, checked the dipstick, and white gunk. So I checked on here and it looks like that is a sign of fuel in the oil, is an oil change good enough or do I need to flush it somehow? Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.
White gunk would be moisture in the oil - have you been taking lots of short trips or starting the bike and not riding it? Solution may require nothing more from you than a 20-mile blast.

If the level is way up and the oil smells like fuel - then you have fuel in the oil.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #15219
boardforever
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
White gunk would be moisture in the oil - have you been taking lots of short trips or starting the bike and not riding it? Solution may require nothing more from you than a 20-mile blast.

If the level is way up and the oil smells like fuel - then you have fuel in the oil.
Oil smelled a little like fuel, but the oil was right where it should be on the dipstick, and my ride to work is only a mile each way. Is there any thing else to look for?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #15220
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
It's possible you have fuel in the oil, but if it's a kinda white frothy stuff, it's probably water. When it's really humid and conditions are right water will condense usually near the filler and dip stick. It won't hurt any thing and goes away when things dry out and/or warm up a little. Lots of motors do it under the right conditions, but air cooled seem to do it more than water cooled. Usually gas in the oil just thins it out and smells like gas.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #15221
boardforever
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
It's possible you have fuel in the oil, but if it's a kinda white frothy stuff, it's probably water. When it's really humid and conditions are right water will condense usually near the filler and dip stick. It won't hurt any thing and goes away when things dry out and/or warm up a little. Lots of motors do it under the right conditions, but air cooled seem to do it more than water cooled. Usually gas in the oil just thins it out and smells like gas.
Ok cool, yeah it was white frothy pasty stuff right at the top of the dipstick. I guess I will just keep an eye on the oil level and keep riding unless someone says otherwise.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #15222
Rich667
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
my bike does the same thing in the cold. At first I got real nervous and drained the oil and it looked fine. I wouldnt worry about it.
Rich667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:11 AM   #15223
OldUKBikerGuy
Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich667 View Post
has anyone ever had an issue with the chain roller under the swingarm wearing out from using a 16T front sprocket? I kept feeling a weird vibration at low speeds and I discovered that the bearings had exploded and nothing was left. It looks like the chain is constantly touching the roller I guess causing it to wear out. could have just worn out from age too. I have a spare one off a DR 250 and it looks like this one is just a bushing. Im wondering how this one will hold up with no bearings.
After the problems I had with my upper bearing, I discovered the lower one was completely missing anyway. I'm in the middle of a frame-up rebuild now, but I'm just going to run the bike without either bearing as it seems quite happy like that on the street.
I'm guessing if you're running a 16T front sprocket, your miles are mostly on tarmac too?
OldUKBikerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #15224
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
my ride to work is only a mile each way. Is there any thing else to look for?
If you are starting it riding it a mile and shutting it off, there's your answer.

It would be better for you and the bike if you walked to work.

Or take a 10-15 mile detour each way. Better for the bike but not so much for you.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #15225
boardforever
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
If you are starting it riding it a mile and shutting it off, there's your answer.

It would be better for you and the bike if you walked to work.
That doesn't sound like nearly as much fun... but you might be right

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
Or take a 10-15 mile detour each way. Better for the bike but not so much for you.
Now that sounds like something I'm much more likely to do, and more fun.