Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #1516
saddlsor
my butt hurts

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by trxcr
I'm thinking of getting a street legal DR350 and was wondering what kinda miles you guys are getting before a rebuild is needed. I want to find a low $$ one that I can ride the bejeebus out of to save gas.
I've got a 99 with 26k on it. put 10k on it last year on 2 longer trips. from what I read on different forums I went ahead and put a cam chain in, but it still had quite a few miles before it really needed it. this summer I'm planning on a couple of trips that should add about another 15k. I expect at least 50k out of it before anything major. on trips I ride pretty easy and average 70mpg. around town it gets somewhere between 55 and 60.
saddlsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #1517
saddlsor
my butt hurts

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak Dancer
What should I be paying for a Battery for my '99 DR 350 SE. Best I can do in my area is $72 & two week delivery from Sears....
the local batteriesplus store has a replacement for 50 bucks. it's an agm battery under the brand name "xtreme". haven't tried one yet as my battery is still good. same price as bb but you save the shipping costs.
saddlsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #1518
Jerkwater
Mongo like candy.

Oddometer: 25
OEM muffler

I posted a WTB ad in Flea Market for a OEM muffler for a DR350/250, but so far have received no repiles. So I am hoping someone that commonly reads this thread might have a OEM muffler in decent shape they might want to sell.

I am in the process of fixing up a recent purchase of a 1991 DR250S, and I hope to make less noise by returning to OEM equipment.

Thanks for your help. And yes, I promise to post some pics when the project is complete.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #1519
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkwater
I posted a WTB ad in Flea Market for a OEM muffler for a DR350/250, but so far have received no repiles. So I am hoping someone that commonly reads this thread might have a OEM muffler in decent shape they might want to sell.

I am in the process of fixing up a recent purchase of a 1991 DR250S, and I hope to make less noise by returning to OEM equipment.

Thanks for your help. And yes, I promise to post some pics when the project is complete.
That's exactly what I did. I got it from a guy in the flea market. But I sent it to Kientech for the larger tip. It turned out very well.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:08 AM   #1520
Jerkwater
Mongo like candy.

Oddometer: 25
Thumb

Thank you for the reply Klay.

I sure this has been asked many times before, but did the exhaust outlet modification by Keintech increase the noise level very much? I have plenty of experience with most of the aftermarket mufflers avaialble, and I would definietely prefer to go the same route you followed.

Jerkwater
Old 02-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #1521
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,710
Quote:

I sure this has been asked many times before, but did the exhaust outlet modification by Keintech increase the noise level very much? I have plenty of experience with most of the aftermarket mufflers avaialble, and I would definietely prefer to go the same route you followed.

Jerkwater
I have only run the bike with the modified muffler in the garage so far, where it sounds noisier. But my impression is that, while louder, it's not too obnoxious.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #1522
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:

I sure this has been asked many times before, but did the exhaust outlet modification by Keintech increase the noise level very much? I have plenty of experience with most of the aftermarket mufflers available, and I would definietely prefer to go the same route you followed.

Jerkwater
I did the Jesse style exhaust mod on mine and it does increase noise levels but not enough to be even close to the 94 db cut-off level. I would say that while it make the bike noisier it also makes a change in tone, deeper I would say. When compared to my brother in law's stock KTM 450 it is much quieter even with the mod.

John
Old 02-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #1523
trxcr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlsor
I've got a 99 with 26k on it. put 10k on it last year on 2 longer trips. from what I read on different forums I went ahead and put a cam chain in, but it still had quite a few miles before it really needed it. this summer I'm planning on a couple of trips that should add about another 15k. I expect at least 50k out of it before anything major. on trips I ride pretty easy and average 70mpg. around town it gets somewhere between 55 and 60.
That's what I wanted to hear !
trxcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #1524
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

Oddometer: 905
New to me '99 DR350SE. When I first looked at it, I thought that the tail light was re-located. On closer inspection, it looks like the rear subframe is bent.

I think I can bend the subframe back, if not then the subframe is listed for $87-100 on the online Suzuki dealers. It looks like it needs a carb clean out and a battery (been sitting), other than that it looks to be in good condition and all stock. I'll be taking it apart to check the valves, clean the carb, and inspect everything. I'll probaby do the T-Vent mod also. I was wondering if there is anything that is known to break or fail early on these, or anything special to look into while I take it apart?

Thanks
Old 02-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #1525
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
RandyM

Nice looking bike.

I was wondering if there is anything that is known to break or fail early on these, or anything special to look into while I take it apart?

No not really. The bike is pretty much bullet proof, with that said consider doing the following;

Check the chain and sprockets for wear.
Replace brake fluid.
Replace fork fluid.
Clean rotors.
Consider bypassing the clutch and kickstand safety switches, ask here for more info.

If you are going to pull the carb you might consider opening up the air box and re-jetting while you are in there. http://www.kientech.com/ has more info on that mod, or just ask here.

If you have money to burn, stainless steel brake lines will help with braking, about 75-100$ worth it IMHO

Enjoy,
John

johnnyandjebus screwed with this post 02-10-2009 at 06:59 PM
johnnyandjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #1526
RyanE
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyM
On closer inspection, it looks like the rear subframe is bent.
I wonder why the P.O. bent the subframe like that? I'm assuming they wanted a more *modern* look? The license plate seems to be mounted in an orientation that suggests this was done deliberately?

I'd definitely try bending the subframe back to it's original shape. The part under the back of the fender seems pretty flimsy and should bend okay if you remove it and use a vice/heat if needed.

In addition to J and J's excellent suggestions, you might want to check the valve clearances for good measure. Can't hurt to start out with them in spec.

Enjoy your DR! I love mine......
Old 02-11-2009, 07:20 AM   #1527
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyM
New to me '99 DR350SE. When I first looked at it, I thought that the tail light was re-located. On closer inspection, it looks like the rear subframe is bent.
That doesn't look like a bent subframe. I think the PO replaced the stock rear fender with a Maier MX style fender and then stuck the stock taillight on it.

Toss that stock taillight and get one that mounts under the fender. Something like this:
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #1528
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

Thanks for the suggestions, I was planning of checking the valves and changing the brake fluid and hoses also. When I get to the forks, I think I'll replace the yellow boot with a black one.

I just ordered an Acerbis 4.25 gal tank from Justgastanks. They told me that the Acerbis tank was discontinued and they have the last two tanks coming in this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle
That doesn't look like a bent subframe. I think the PO replaced the stock rear fender with a Maier MX style fender and then stuck the stock taillight on it.
It's actually bent - and that is the stock fender complete with the original stickers on it. It's buckled just rear of the bar that goes on top of the fender. It looks to be bent up about 30 degrees. I think the Lic plate bracket was made from a cut off original. Looks easy enough to bend back, I'll give it a try this weekend.

Original

Old 02-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #1529
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,508
does anyone have rear rack option???
i want something big enough to tote camping stuff and a change of
clothes?? on the 350. i like the 650 one i see on ebay but i wonder if it will work on the 350?? and i wonder how easy it would be to remove??anyhelp would be great!!

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:44 PM   #1530
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

I've been looking for a rack for my DR350 also.

Turbo city makes some racks:
http://www.turbocity.com/default.php?cPath=69_77

Dirt bagz makes some soft panniers with a bracket to keep the bags off the exhaust.
http://www.dbzproducts.com/

Wolfman Luggage has some dual sport saddle bags but they are pretty small.